Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say they assume you have already read the "Captain's Basic Course" and if you haven't they suggest you "put this booklet aside" and go read the basic course, which they say can be downloaded from the ships web page. Except it can't be, as the only rules on that page are in Russian.

Is it needed to read this basic course and, if so, where can I find it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Porosky
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! The publisher responded in an earlier forum posting where I asked about availability. BGG handle is ZvezdaUS . Since I ordered this I too am now curious. Maybe if you BGG mailed directly? Once I get my copy I'll take a look for it and ask again if no solution by then. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is listed as part of the 'contents' of the game, so you will find it there (I hope!).

I was just wanting to read it before actually buying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pacey Dorset
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello there
I can confirm that the Captain's Basic Course is indeed a short booklet included in my copy of the game. So, all being well, you should find it alongside all the other materials - it's a very full box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Armada
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rule set includes everything from the Captains Basic Course. The Basic Course is for use to get right into the game with the least amount of reading.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Porosky
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game arrived today. Wow. That is a hefty box of goodness! Kevin were you able to read the full Rule Set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gone through the part that is online. Captains basic is still not available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pacey Dorset
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
One thing perhaps worth adding - the models come with very colourful and rather intricate decals. If you do not fancy painting the ships, with these decals nicely applied, you will still get a nice visual effect. But they are a little intimidating to get into place - at least for me.
I did not paint the Zvezda Art of Tactic Barbarossa or Samurai sets, which I somewhat regret but it's just not my strength. On the other hand, I can live with unpainted ships flaunting all their crests and other adornments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone post this basic captain course online?

I have received Russian copy and because I don't speak language I can not get hang of this basic manual.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kamixx wrote:
Could someone post this basic captain course online?

I have received Russian copy and because I don't speak language I can not get hang of this basic manual.

Thank you

Everything that's in the Captan's Basic Course is also included in the main rules. Just use the following

- Play San Martin vs. HMS Revenge.
- The goal is exclusively to sink the other ship
- Use only ball shot: no grape shot or bar shot
- Use only Furled Sails (0 movement/mast) and Battle Sail (1 movement/mast). Ignore Full Sail. Ignore all to-hit modifiers based on how much sail is deployed.
- Ignore the boarding rules entirely; your only options are to shoot with cannon balls, and to ram.

This lets you play a game focused on the basic movement rules, shooting with cannon balls, reloading and tracking ammunition, and tracking damage and cannon loss.

Knowing this much I imagine you can even make sense of what the Russian-language copy you've got is showing, including deployment for this simple scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonis Kalogerakis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I got Kamil's copy now, a new question emerged...

Where can I find the scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.