Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now had the pleasure of eight plays of Warfighter as of the time of this writing and I thought it would be useful (and fun) to share tips and tricks for having more successful Warfighter missions that I've figured out so far. This is not to say that these will work for everyone, or that they're battle-tested over dozens of plays, but they are what have worked for me so far.

Feel free to share your own SpecOps success strategies as well! Let's make this a hive-mind thread.

[SPOILER ALERT: If you want to discover gameplay strategies on your own, don't read this - go play the game. Heck, do that anyway!]

Try to have as close as a one-to-one ratio of player soldiers to NPS and squad soldiers as you can.

You won't necessarily always be able to have one player soldier for every NPS or squad soldier, especially when you are playing solo, but for larger point games, or longer missions, having hands of cards to help the NPS/squaddies along is really important. Conversely, having extra bodies to attract fire (and hopefully put down some fire themselves) can be a cheap buy for 5-12 RP, compared to a typical 15 - 25+ for player soldiers.

If your objective is further than 6 locations out, consider humping extra ammunition.

Objectives on the #8, 9 or 10 position can be a slog to get to, and if you're not parsimonious with your semi vs. burst/auto fire early on, you can find yourself low on mags for your primary weapon by the time you're one or two cards away from the objective. Remember that by paying one measly RP (and load-out point), you can double your ammunition load. For weapons like carbines, where you commonly go to burst/auto fire, especially at range 1, this can be critical.

Make sure your snipers/long range shooters have self-defense weapons or shotguns/SMGs to defend themselves.

Hostiles like Stalker and bad reinforce draws can ruin your day if you're sitting back at range two plinking away while your buds charge in. Carry a pistol, SMG or shotgun to defend yourself in the event of sudden, unexpected house calls. Another very useful option are claymores and minimores, which have the "Triggered" card effect - very, very handy!

The M203 is your friend.

The underslung M203 grenade launcher attached to a M16 or M4 is a must-have for most of my missions. Not only can it wipe out rocket/RPG teams and packs of insurgents/cartel with a single bloop, it also gives you ranged and close-in ability with the carbine/rifle. I now almost always pay the one extra RP/load-out for 3 extra grenades [edit - this is incorrect - see next post - one RP/LP per grenade]. It's 10 RP [12 RP is correct] with the extra ammo, which is one of the most expensive weapons in the game, but it's well worth it. If I'm playing and no one else has spoken for it, I will frequently take the M16 with underslung M203. Just remember that it can't engage targets with the GL at range 0.

Consider mission "roles" for each soldier.

It's useful to have at least three people with specific tasks in a team - one "assaulter" with good close-in weapons (shotgun/SMG/carbine) and grenades, one "long range shooter" with long range weapons (sniper rifle, Red dot/ACOG rifle, etc.) and one "all-rounder" who can do both, but not as well as either. Make sure the assaulter has good movement (the knee/elbow pads are a good buy for him) and the "long range shooter" has self-defence capability. It's difficult to have a team of jack-of-all-trades types - sometimes, especially with the low RP missions, you have to accept that some soldiers will have to get in close and others will have to stay back and they will have to pick weapons and equipment that help them with those roles.

Choose the location cards you put down carefully in relation to each other.

Talk about what location cards you're going to play before you play them. Some cards are better than others earlier in the mission and some cards are better to play later. "High Ground" in the jungle set, for example, is excellent to play right next to the objective or, failing that, next to a card or cards that you think might be tough to fight through. "Mosque" looks easy at first but then you realize that it basically negates the ability of assault-oriented soldiers to get in and close the range. "Mosque" next to "Low Ground" is a nightmare. It's especially important, unless a team member has the evasion or ghost abilities, that long range shooters "camp" on locations with low (0 or none) reinforce numbers. If you have the option, make sure you put your shooters on those cards next to cards which might have high reinforcement or within range of the objective.

Do NOT sit on cards with high reinforcement numbers long. I'm looking at you, Village, Citadel and City Street.

Threat assessment is key.

When considering which hostiles to target, always look at the cards with the "ALL" OR "AGAIN" effect on them first (IED, rocket team, RPG team, suicide bomber, drug runner, LMG, HMG). While they might not always be the top priority, they usually are. Then look at targets with the reinforce ability (leaders, trucks, look-outs). They will bring in reinforcements. Put them down sharpish.

Almost always (unless they popped-up on the same card as their target) the range 0 hostiles can wait - it will take them a turn to get into position to attack. Take a look at their wound numbers and see what it will take for them to hit. Frequently, low XP hostiles will be even wimpier when you take out just one of them, reducing their to-hit to 8.

Always remember that suppression buys you time. If you've got a big hostile group that needs to advance on you to be in range, if you suppress just one, they won't move that turn.

Get in touch with your Inner Ninja.

Stealth kills. If you haven't taken advantage of weapons with the "Stealth" attribute yet, go immediately to the Warfighter manual, page 11, right-hand column, bottom of the page, and re-read that paragraph:

Quote:
Some Weapons have the Stealth trait. All Unarmed combat Attacks are also Stealth Attacks.

The first time each Soldier performs a Stealth Attack during a game turn, he automatically gets a Defeat Cover roll of a 6.

That is an automatic suppression result against anything except armoured vehicles, and with most weapons at their optimal ranges (kill number of 6 or 7) is a 40-50% kill chance. Think about that.

Seven... Six... Two... Millimeter... Full... Metal... Jacket

Haven't tried the 7.62mm assault rifles from the expansions? Do it. DO IT! Just don't go full auto all the time. If you fire at semi with 7.62mm against low-value hostiles (cover 2), you will ALWAYS at least suppress them and you will never jam. Consider taking some extra ammo, though; those rounds ain't abundant.

Buddy System

It's always helpful to have one other player soldier or NPS whose weapon uses the same calibre ammunition as you do. That way, if you get a string of bad reload results unexpectedly, they can pass you some mags.

Rail-road 'em!

Long mission with load-out reductions of -2 or -3? - Molle and weapons with rails fit the bill! Both save on weight while allowing you to carry you the "extras" (sights, suppressors, ammunition) that you need to stay alive.

Stay hydrated.

Have you been ignoring seemingly useless equipment like canteens and Camelba...-ahem- hydration packs? For a resource point or two, you can draw cards at critical moments, especially when wounded. Don't write them off as useless weight!

Diversify!

Always play with the same equipment? Run a mission with different loads. I've discovered some interesting combos just by stepping outside of my go-to weapon (the M16/M203) to specifically try something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Sharing Stratgies - Tips and Tricks for Successful Warfighter Missions
Some great tips here. I've played about 6 times myself but have yet to really go beyond the base game or get to middle east.

Correction about grenade launcher: each extra grenade you add is +1 LP/RP. It's the sole exception
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Some great tips here. I've played about 6 times myself but have yet to really go beyond the base game or get to middle east.

Correction about grenade launcher: each extra grenade you add is +1 LP/RP. It's the sole exception

Ah, good catch. Hadn't noticed that. Will modify the post above accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another correction: it's 12 RP with three extra grenades laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post, agree with everything except for the stuff I haven't tried yet, which I now intend to try anyway - especially rails and canteens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

Me fail math? That's unpossible!

Thanks again; corrected again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

Me fail math? That's unpossible!

Thanks again; corrected again.

Christopher, maybe you can assist me now. I plan on playing tonight with my gamer buddy, it will be his first time playing. I plan on doing the 60RP mission from Jungle (High Impact). I have already played it with a 3-man (2P 1NPS) squad in my last solitaire attempt and was successful.

Do you have a suggested setup? Preferably 4 soldiers (2 of them full player soldiers). Also, I am limiting you to the base game ..... although mayyyyybe Expansion 1 if you feel it is absolutely necessary. You up for the challengeeeeeee??????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game at hand... I'll try to write up a "guess-timate" answer at lunch.

Maybe you can answer this in the meantime; is your friend someone who enjoys getting in close and doing assault-type work in wargames, or is he a sniper-type, or more of an all-rounder.

Is he a first time wargamer, or has he done wargames before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To explore your roles concept a bit further, I like to have one soldier as my assault guy--with Agility, Knee Pads, and a shotgun or carbine plus grenades. Then, I have usually my main player soldier geared to kill/suppress at range 1. LOVE the M203 for this. Anyway, this guy's main job is to suppress or kill those hostiles that are blocking my assault guy from advancing.

So a typical turn features some suppressive fires (or, in the case of something really dangerous, like an RPG or sniper or machinegun, an M203 round.) Next my assault guy charges in, hopefully with a "Move Out" card, so as to save his actions. Then he goes to work with grenades and his shotgun, knocking out the most dangerous targets. I try to reserve a few XP to activate defensive cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You don't need the game at hand. I made a handy dandy file to assist with squad building

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/109973/warfighter-soldierw...

My friend is a newbie to wargames; he actually just played his first and jumped in with Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid. He's always played games to escape and felt that real life themes wouldn't help but ECA seems to have shown him otherwise and he's willing to try Thunderbolt Apache Leader and this, as well as Butterfield's D-Day Series.

My friend is actually a good guy, willing to do whatever is best for the game. For example, we played a non-wargame and the best move for me (that I could see) was decimating his forces that he moved to a spot to conquer, however didn't leave them defensive. I told him I can do that as it's a good move for me or I could do something else and let him go through with his plans. He said I should absolutely do what's best for me.

I'd prefer it if we were both all arounders, using M4s or M16s and switching off going in for the kill or hanging back for support as needed. It's his first game and I'd like him to get a feel for the strategy/tactics as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
You don't need the game at hand. I made a handy dandy file to assist with squad building

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/109973/warfighter-soldierw...

My friend is a newbie to wargames; he actually just played his first and jumped in with Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid. He's always played games to escape and felt that real life themes wouldn't help but ECA seems to have shown him otherwise and he's willing to try Thunderbolt Apache Leader and this, as well as Butterfield's D-Day Series.

My friend is actually a good guy, willing to do whatever is best for the game. For example, we played a non-wargame and the best move for me (that I could see) was decimating his forces that he moved to a spot to conquer, however didn't leave them defensive. I told him I can do that as it's a good move for me or I could do something else and let him go through with his plans. He said I should absolutely do what's best for me.

I'd prefer it if we were both all arounders, using M4s or M16s and switching off going in for the kill or hanging back for support as needed. It's his first game and I'd like him to get a feel for the strategy/tactics as much as possible.

OK, I'll see if I can brew something up at lunch.

Initial thoughts are - one player soldier with an M203/M4 combo (or M16 w/M203 is better, if you have that expansion); one player soldier with just a plain carbine and grenades; the medic NPS; and use whatever remains after customizing equipment and back-up weapons to buy a squad soldier. Spend about 30-33 each on your soldiers, (taking you to 65), 9 points for the medic, if memory serves, and get a 5 or 6 point squad soldier.

Give him the choice of the player soldiers, tell him that the M203 will stand off at range more often and the M4 will get in close more often.

An alternative is to spend less on your individual squad soldiers - like 20-25 points each - and get another NPS with good movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some good stuff in there. But again, I reiterate that I'm playing the 60RP mission (High Impact, I think)!

I own all 3 expansions. Maybe I'll add in the 1st to switch it up for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Some good stuff in there. But again, I reiterate that I'm playing the 60RP mission (High Impact, I think)!

I own all 3 expansions. Maybe I'll add in the 1st to switch it up for myself.

Whoops - I skim read your message. I've been playing mostly 80-100 point missions lately.

So, spend ~22 each on your player soldiers (give more to the M203 grenadier), which takes you up to ~45, then spend 15 on a NPS and a squad soldier. Or, spend more on your base soldiers (~25) and skip the squaddie.

I find the medic NPS is handy, since getting wounded in this game really sucks (as well it should) and could otherwise spoil your buddy's experience if he gets hit early and can't heal. The medic NPS is the cheapest way to get a medtech on your team, plus his MP5 isn't bad for self-defence when they pop up on his card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
A great thread! I have shared the link so other players can benefit and join in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to Dan Verssen for a *terrific* game that even the non-wargamers in my group are loving!

In a 5 or 6 player mission, having one guy with the Predator is awesome beyond words! The ability to wipe out entire nests of Hostiles -- and do it *THREE* times during the Mission -- is worth every RP. Makes short work of those armored vehicle Objectives, too... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakkster wrote:
Makes short work of those armored vehicle Objectives, too... :-)

Actually no, the Reaper drone (or any Hostile targetting card for that matter) can't be used against an Objective.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1267723/reaper-objective-win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One of the fun elements of this game (IMHO) is the setting up, as you try to make the best combination of skills, equipment and weapons, within the constraints of the mission, your resource limit and the soldier's loadout. I'm sure we all try many weird and wonderful combinations, but after a while, I find that I tend to favour certain loadouts with certain soldiers. This is my four pennorth for any beginners to the game, and I'm sure others will also chip in with their thoughts.

To make any serious progress in a mission, you are going to have to get close up and personal at some stage in the proceedings because, for most weapons, zero range gives you the best chance of a kill and you can use grenades on multi-man targets in order to try and take out more than one bad guy per attack. So step forward Hospitalman Apprentice Jesse Stephens (11/0) [resource cost/loadout]

As a medic he adds 4 to his health rolls, so the 1st piece of equipment he gets is the first aid kit(13/2).
The ability to get to range zero is very important, so he gets the knee/elbow pads (15/3) and the agile skill (18/3)
For close combat, he gets the close combat skill (21/3) and the M4 shotgun (23/5)
A Molle increases his loadout by 5 (24/5) and 4 flash bangs give him the ability to win all cover rolls (28/9)
A canteen gives him a quick 3 card draw (29/10) and 6 M67 grenades gives him a total of (35/16)

Obviously, he can only be used in this configuration when on a mission with a large resource total, and I have to scale back on smaller missions, but I will always try and use the first aid kit, flash bangs and shotgun whenever possible. I find the flash bangs an absolute must have in Middle East scenarios, because of the proliferation of 3,4 and 5 cover hostiles, because there is nothing more annoying than rolling a kill, but flunking the cover roll.
My medical rolls have not been up to scratch in my latest mission, because I threw a 1 for the first attempt to heal, followed by another 1 on the second attempt.

From this thread... A soldier for all missions

...by this user:

Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.