Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A small variant that occurred to us. It might be nice to randomize which great projects will be in the game at the very beginning of the game so you know which colors will be more valuable by the end.

Mostly, we feel the green one is a little strong because it works really well for science players. But, to participate as a non-science player can be silly. But with the current rules you don't know if that great project will be in play or not.

Maybe we just have to get used to it. But we might end up trying this variant later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Price
United States
GALESBURG
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. It would be nice to have foresight into the projects that are going to be built, but I think the idea is to keep the builders in the dark until the age in which the project can be built. Personally, I like the chaos that comes from the hidden information.

Theme-wise, I like to think the 'powers-that-be' are keeping the information from the builders until it is time to build the project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Auxiliary Axis
msg tools
I'd rather try a variant that uses more than one Great Project in the same age. XD (probably too chaotic, especially if more than 2).

This variant only seems to affect the Leader that you pick, since that's the only decision point you have to make before seeing the project. Well, I guess you can plan out your entire build, which would definitely be interesting too since it rewards specialization.

Well let's take a look at the science projects

The base 7 wonders only grants 3 coins, so unless you're trashing or playing the Tavern or triggering an age I coin generator such as Babel tile 5, 3 coins isn't a lot.

Cranes -> 1 coin for a possible free building sounds cool.
Unless you had Archimedes, getting 3 participation tokens by yourself would need a lot of variables to fall into place. Cranes is much more likely to finish when 3 different people contribute around the same time.

tl;dr age I unless there's Archimedes or a civilization with a starting manufactured good, people's opportunity on Cranes is rather similar.

Sewer Network -> 2 coins for a possible free building sounds less hot. This reward only can apply to age III and is more expensive to contribute to.

This is similar to Cranes but is a little more weird since the penalty is the loss of a red card.

Archives -> 4 coins for a possible 3 points per science set.
The issue is usually a lack of money to contribute.

... okay I see your point. Science denial only reasonably stops a player from having 3-4 sets of science. If science was split, then the means to get sufficient coins is higher, and the reward of a free building can offset what resources a science player may lack for a key non-science chain card.

To summarize:
Cranes - Opportunity is about even. Science is more likely split if the project completes.
Sewer Network - Diminishing returns.
Archives - You know at this point what people's boards look like. If contributing really makes no sense, hope the project fails especially if you have a 2VP blue or no blue. In my play when I saw this, the science players couldn't afford contribution, but the real reason was because he went down one chain instead of going for sets.

I haven't played with Sewer Network personally. My playgroup has a tendency to recruit 2-3 Leaders per game, so high coin counts don't usually stick with the science intensive player.

The funny thing is that if players did have the means to finish the science projects, unless they're getting crushed in military, their position only gets better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played babel last night. We had a third age project that had a green card penalty. I was heavily focused on green. So I wanted the project to complete but I was money-poor. Thankfully the -3 penalty for non green card holders was enough to influence everyone else to contribute. It worked well. I didn't win but it was nice and interesting to see the project complete. The random project was fun. I'm not sure one way or another if knowing which project was going to show would have helped me or not. It will take more testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Auxiliary Axis
msg tools
Vince, how were your sciences at the end of the game? If you had complete sets the yes, the penalty would have been harsh. If your sets were not complete, you probably lose 5-7 points.

I've won before literally due to the existence of Menagerie (purple project). It was a 4 player game and I contributed twice. My neighbors had the rest of the purples so I got a whopping 12 VP out of the project. No greens

How useful were the purples to the neighbors? If they're good purples there's no reason not to contribute if there's enough coins to do so. The funny thing is if the guild selection wasn't good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amoirsp wrote:
Vince, how were your sciences at the end of the game? If you had complete sets the yes, the penalty would have been harsh. If your sets were not complete, you probably lose 5-7 points.

I've won before literally due to the existence of Menagerie (purple project). It was a 4 player game and I contributed twice. My neighbors had the rest of the purples so I got a whopping 12 VP out of the project. No greens

How useful were the purples to the neighbors? If they're good purples there's no reason not to contribute if there's enough coins to do so. The funny thing is if the guild selection wasn't good.

I no longer recall. Sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.