Subject: Co-ops for kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Errant Deeds
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm after co-op games for children, under the age of ten. I don't know if they exist, but it strikes me as being a really good idea. If there are any, does anyone know them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean specifically geared towards children?

There's always Forbidden Island and Castle Panic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Errant Deeds
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, games aimed at younger kids (7 or 8, say). I think the games you mention might be a little heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ErrantDeeds wrote:
Yes, games aimed at younger kids (7 or 8, say). I think the games you mention might be a little heavy.

That depends on whether you intend for the kids to play with each other only, or together with an adult. If there will be an adult present during the game, then those two suggestions should work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, you should give them a try. BGG rates them as 8+ and 6+, respectively. Also consider Mice and Mystics if they like animals (also 8+).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Errant Deeds
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, will do. Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is 7, and Mice and Mystics is her absolute favorite game. However, you definitely need an adult to manage things. She also really enjoys Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, and Gem Rush. She's been playing all of those since she was about 5 or 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mibb wrote:
There's always Forbidden Island and Castle Panic.

thumbsup

Hanabi
Terror in Meeple City
Ticket to Ride
Sushi Go!
Dixit
Escape: The Curse of the Temple

EDIT
Apologies, forgot the coop-aspect for a second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The winner of the german kidsgame of the year award this year was also a coop: Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much every game from Family Pastimes is perfect for kids. I find a lot of their games in thrift stores but they are all coops and some are quite good. Quality of the box, board and components isn't fantastic but the games are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErrantDeeds wrote:

I've played both, as well as Flash Point: Fire Rescue with my son who is 7, though we started playing the first two when he was six. Of course it is different if you want the child to be able to play on their own without an adult.

We also play Mice and Mystics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it depends on which theme they enjoy the most.

superhero theme

Sentinels of the Multiverse - the mechanics in this game are simple but the card interactions can get complex. You'd need an adult present but if kids like superheroes, I would think this would be fun.

fantasy theme

Castle Panic - this should be simple enough for kids to play and it can be easily scaled to be not too hard as well.

adventure theme

Forbidden Desert - trying to find the hidden pieces to build the flying machine I think would be fun for kids. this game is pretty hard though so frustration level at losing might be something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colinmarsh wrote:
i think it depends on which theme they enjoy the most.

superhero theme

Sentinels of the Multiverse - the mechanics in this game are simple but the card interactions can get complex. You'd need an adult present but if kids like superheroes, I would think this would be fun.

I have Sentinels and really enjoy it, but I wouldn't try it with kids that young personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lee
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bus Depot Diner is for the younger kids, fully co-op, not the most entertaining for Dad though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an OK co-op, but the rules aren't all that clear and special abilities can be a bit wonky. But we have had some tense plays of it over the years - clearly for younger gamers.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/141725/justice-leagu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Break the Safe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.