(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My diagnosis is allergic shock reaction of playing a heavily card-focused game (E Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game) too much, that you maybe don't really like too much (although you probably like its theme).

Or you stayed into that genre of games for too long in general recently.

I would consider the reaction to both reasons to be natural.

Keep calm, always play the games you really feel like playing and until then, don't amputate your collection of the affected region(s). Your mind will very likely recover - probably even as fast as it changed overnight.

PS: I personally do not consider said game to be "good", so I subjectively blame it. The patient could also be suffering from sore loser syndrome, although I am unsure about that so far. Further examination is required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck building games are tiresome. There are so many of them. They are grueling to get to know all the cards and build a deck. And THEN you have to fight with the other person to get the good cards you want. If you want to not fight, then you have to buy a second copy of it.

I don't mind games that have cards or are cardish games, like Imperial Settlers, which have 1 deck for drafting, and then a separate deck for each player, because you aren't fighting over the cards. I like games that have cards in them, such as Arkham Horror, that are sort of card driven, but there is a board and bits to go along with, because they aren't card games, but I certainly feel you about deck builders. The ones in the traditional sense like the Marvel game are just a PITA for me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Sulerz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, I came to the same conclusion. Dunno why

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
After playing a couple games of Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game with my wife last night, I woke up thinking I never wanted to play a card-based game again. I understand card versatility, but I realized I'm tired of opening a new game and seeing nothing but piles of cards. What just happened to my brain?

Relax, this is something that's common for this season. Take a 1-2 dice every 6 hours and get plenty of rest and water. I recommend that you check your diet: Are you getting enough minis and tokens? Exercise might also help. Try to incorporate multiple reps of stone-paper-scissors into your daily routine. Get well soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the same way. I find some of these games to be quite fun and interesting (Netrunner, Runeage) but my problem is the quick evolution of the games and the fact you cannot be competitive (and to have fun, you must be, at least a little) unless you KNOW every single card, combo and interaction, plus all the rules. I don't have time for this, so I have to pass on this style of games. Unfortunately again, many publishers, including my favorite, seems to have a major hard on for card/deck based games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat with ya. Even just focusing on a single card-game nowadays can be a real commitment. For publishers, there is so much 'win' associated with card-games: possibly the cheapest element of a game to print, expansions follow, low physical footprint (or at least can be) so they can be toted pretty much anywhere... Bloody card games. I try and keep up with Netrunner but even that now is becoming a chore and something I've considered dropping. Someone else can pick up the slack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
After playing a couple games of Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game with my wife last night, I woke up thinking I never wanted to play a card-based game again. I understand card versatility, but I realized I'm tired of opening a new game and seeing nothing but piles of cards. What just happened to my brain?

Relax, this is something that's common for this season. Take a 1-2 dice every 6 hours and get plenty of rest and water. I recommend that you check your diet: Are you getting enough minis and tokens? Exercise might also help. Try to incorporate multiple reps of stone-paper-scissors into your daily routine. Get well soon!

Sorry Guys! It's my fault! Sorry! I was tweaking reality a wee bit this morning. Just intended a few minor fixes. A few changes of degree away from Earth for a planet destroying comet. Speeding up design of a longer lasting lightbulb and the cure for the common cold. You know, minor stuff. Still haven't managed to swing a reprint of Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition yet though... Kind of a bummer... Anyways, I may have caused a few small, um, unforeseen reality hiccups. So now you don't like cardgames anymore. And another fellow may have, ah, lost all his body hair... Um, sorry about that, Bill... My bad. It's just a few insignificant little side effects. Could wear off anytime! I'm sure you guys understand! Well, I'm off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realized you hate shuffling cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have come to realize I just don't like deck builders. I like card games in general but not deck builders. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your subconscious kicked your ass while you were sleeping. Professor X for the win.

But don't take it lying down!!! Get up and get back to reality. Send those bad dreams back to bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you have been pretending to like card games all these while and all of a sudden you tell yourself to stop pretending.

Generally preferences don't change overnight, unless ... one gets pregnant!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
Just realized you hate shuffling cards?

Sleeving them. Any game with a mass of cards just makes me go, "Yeah, um, no."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
Sorry Guys! It's my fault! Sorry! I was tweaking reality a wee bit this morning. Just intended a few minor fixes. A few changes of degree away from Earth for a planet destroying comet. Speeding up design of a longer lasting lightbulb and the cure for the common cold. You know, minor stuff. Still haven't managed to swing a reprint of Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition yet though... Kind of a bummer... Anyways, I may have caused a few small, um, unforeseen reality hiccups. So now you don't like cardgames anymore. And another fellow may have, ah, lost all his body hair... Um, sorry about that, Bill... My bad. It's just a few insignificant little side effects. Could wear off anytime! I'm sure you guys understand! Well, I'm off!

That explains the polka-dotted blue brontosaur on my front lawn this morning.

(What? My refrigerator is talking? Yeah, that's normal.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mirefox wrote:

I believe this is a rare phenomenon known as "changing your mind." =P

It happens to the best of us every now and then. Don't worry, though, it is possible to change it back. Just keep calm and focus on other interests for the time being - like games with actual boards and bits. Your interest in card games will likely return after you've given them a break for a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the opposite camp. I largely prefer card-based games and am starting to stay away from buying games with too many bits and boards and plastic figures. However, I'm also starting to dislike LCG style card games. So the type of card games I'm really big on are tableau-builders.

Imperial Settlers
Evolution
Innovation
Impulse
Pixel Tactics
Last Will
7 Wonders
The New Era
Glory to Rome

I can see getting sick of card games though. Me personally... I really respect and enjoy the high amount of variance and replay value modern designers can get out of cards. Designers these days have just been doing so many unique things with cards! I love it!

My opinion... (If you haven't already) Definitely branch out away from deck-builders and LCGs. There's a lot of other great card-driven games out there.

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines and Mage Knight Board Game are my absolute favorites!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.