Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
SNOWDONIA +JUNGFRAUBAHN: Phil, Chris, Jason

Three of us set off to build a railway to the top of Switzerland's Jungfrau.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/company/railways/jungfrau-railway/...

Events were pretty fickle early on, as the government cleared the brown snow, and a subsequent storm threw the same snow back into our paths. I took a couple of early contracts to give my workers some direction. I was determined to utilize dynamite to open up pathways, as it would pay handsomely once we reached the summit. Chris was the first to buy an engine, opting to take the bargain-priced No.5 that came with two coal. Jason grabbed resources and contracts, twice grabbing those that allowed the conversion of 2 iron ore to a rail (x2).

By mid-game we each had an engine (Chris had the Moel Siabod, Jason had the No.8 Snowplow which came with dynamite, and I had the No.4 Snowdon). At the Eismeer station there was one rubble/snow cube remaining on the station. I desperately wanted to use dynamite on the subsequent J-track card, as this would have given me the second one I needed to fulfill a contract. As the work rate was at 1 (it rained a whole lot in Switzerland, hrrumph!), I placed a worker on the second excavation spot. But Jason is a clever player, and knew that he could use his Snowplow, with it's increased work rate, to take the last station cube and then blow up the next J-track. Which is of course what he did. This left just one final J-track card, located next to the Jungfraujoch and its mountain of rubble/snow.

The weather finally became sunnier a turn or so later, so I took advantage of this and placed two workers on the excavate action. I had been accumulating dynamite every chance I got, as I wanted to blow up J-track cards, and I had the contract that paid me 3vp for each unused dynamite. So, with the work rate now at 4, I attacked the rubble/snow at Jungfraujoch. I initially wanted to collect a lot of rubble/snow, as I had a contract card that required 8 cubes. However, with the government event of laying track looming, I decided I needed to make a dash for the last J-track. My first worker grabbed three cubes from the space before the station, and used its final work rate point to blow up the first rubble space on the station (worth 6vp). My second worker used dynamite on the next station space (6vp), grabbed the two cubes on the last station space (4vp), and finally used dynamite on the last J-track card. So while I spent 3 of the 4 dynamite I had acquired, the combined points from stations, contract, and J-track more then compensated for the vp lost (from the dynamite contract).

Weather events didn't affect us in the latter half of the game, as all of the stations were built, and Chris built many of the tracks. The next event cleared the remaining rubble/snow from the last two track spaces and station spaces, signaling that the task of constructing the railway was nearly complete. Both Jason and I, however, craved rubble, as we were each 1 cube away from fulfilling a contract. With snow on the horizon, we hoped that the game would last one more turn so that we could scoop up the snow on the Sphinx Observatory. However, Chris is also a clever player, and utilized his weather-changing contract card to change the upcoming weather from snow to sun! Drats! Both Jason and Chris managed to build the 16vp stations on the Sphinx Observatory, and each of us pushed our surveyor to the summit for positive points. Chris ended the game with 4 dynamite cubes, but could not benefit from this collection (as only one contract card provides points for dynamite).

The scores were close at the end, with me eking out a win over Chris and Jason. Final scores were: 117, 108, 106.

Jason Phil Chris
Cnt VPs Cnt VPs Cnt VPs
Stations 9 62 9 59 5 49
Track 1 3 0 0 4 14
Contracts 2 26 3 27 3 37
Train 9
Surveyor 8 8 8
J-Track 1 7 2 14 0 0
=== === ===
TOTAL 106 117 108
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bloomin' LOVE reading reports like this...and then I remember it was me what designed the thing in the first place! *proud*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony - Phil is the one that introduced me to this game. On the surface I probably wouldn't have tried it and it has become one of my favorite games. Top notch stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
I bloomin' LOVE reading reports like this...and then I remember it was me what designed the thing in the first place! *proud*

Thanks for designing such a GREAT game, Tony!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.