Subject: what's the best of the bunch? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercante, Coutier, and Dominare are all three on sale at MM.

Which is best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Dominare, as I'm a big fan of negotiation/area control games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends entirely on your taste in games. Each is focused on distinctly different mechanisms. If you don't buy them all, then I would just get whichever one has the mechanisms that most appeal to you. They are all good for their type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
Vetinari wrote:
It depends entirely on your taste in games. Each is focused on distinctly different mechanisms. If you don't buy them all, then I would just get whichever one has the mechanisms that most appeal to you. They are all good for their type.

I 100% agree with this. That being said, I'd like to offer my commentary.

Each game has its own appeal, however the magnificence of the series of games lies in AEG's approach to using a shared universe with a continuity of stories, characters, and locations which are pervasive and carry on between each of the games in the series. Even the artwork is consistent. i.e. the Princess in Love Letter is the same Princess throughout the Tempest Series.

The Lords & Ladies, merchants, politicians, scholars, and scoundrels of the Tempest series of games are rich and interesting characters each in their own right. While each game stands on its own, if you look deeper people and story telling are central to the Tempest series.

Listen to The Spiel podcast which provides an in depth view on each game and the Tempest series as a whole. Then you can make up your own mind.

The Spiel #168 - O Brave New World (AEG's Tempest Series of Games)

Obviously, Love Letter is a must own. Courtier is very accessible and serves as an good introduction to the characters which occupy the world of Tempest. It is a Philip duBarry design.

Dominare is my personal favorite and is also the most complex of the series. With 95 character cards, some duplicates, it elevates Tempest to is full glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.