Hide
9 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Access Denied
msg tools
So I just bought this game very recently and played the first couple through games last night with the family. We came up with a few questions that we didn't think the instruction book clarified clearly enough and were hoping you all might be able to help.

First Question
"My God, They've Taken The..."
Zombie Event : Play Immediately : Taken Over/Random Building
When you roll your D6 and it lands on a dice roll of 1 - "Hero's Choice", must you show the Heroes the Zombie Card's end result (i.e. that the card will make you place Zombies in all the squares or not) before rolling the D6 again for the exact building.

The Heroes were saying that because it was a play immediately card, the card must be shown to the whole table upon drawing. However, because it is a Zombie Card, the zombies didn't want to give the Heroes the advantage of knowing what the card event was prior to selecting the area the event would affect.

Second Question
When a Hero enters a building with special Pick Up rules associated with it (e.g. Police Station building states, "Pick Up: Pump Shotgun"). If the hero chooses to search the discard pile to retrieve the Pump Shotgun, and it is not in the discard pile, do they forfeit their ability to take a hero card from the top of the hero card deck.

Third Question
If a Hero is currently in a fight with a zombie, can any other hero or zombie player contribute their own event cards to affect that fight.

Fourth Question
One thing we could not find in the rule book was what the keys are used for in the Basic version of the game. Are Heroes allowed to lock doors and affect zombie movement? We were confused as to why the key cards were included in the Basic Deck of the game.

Thanks for all and any help you guys can offer. This will help us to not slit throats when we attempt the game again tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1: I always read the card fully then give a chance for a response. This is important for characters like the father who might cancel the card. If dice are rolled the opportunity to cancel has passed.

#2: Pick up abilities can only be used if the item is in the discard. The discard is open information to all players.

#3: Event cards can used on anyone by anyone unless there is a restriction like being adjacent. Zombies can only play one fight card per fight but can come from any zombie player.

#4: If I remember correctly the keys let you search for a scenario search item or draw 2(?) cards. I believe it also lets you ignore locked doors. Locked doors is a card the zombies could play.

Edit: clarify #4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
#1: That's kind of hard-core. Once a card is played, it is face up and thus public knowledge. Look at it this way, once you played enough, you'll have that card memorized, so hiding it will only penalize inexperienced players. By the way, Heroes/Zombies Choice means that they pick the exact building to be affected.

#2: Yes, using the "Pick-up" ability is in place of Searching.

#3: The zombie player can play one "Fight:" card per zombie fight. Other Event cards can be played without restriction, except by the text of the card itself.

#4: there are way too many cards for each to be explained in the rule book. If you don't see it explicitly mentioned somewhere, then just do what the card text says. :-)

Welcome to the awesomeness of LNoE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to both the guys above.

Also to expand on a couple...

#1: If you draw multiple Play Immediately cards at one draw step then the zombie player gets to decide in what order they play.

#3: The event cards are shared between the heroes almost like one giant hand even though each hero generally holds onto the event they drew. So any event can be used by any hero since they all belong to the heroes as a whole.

#4: The Keys are used in the Escape in the Truck scenario and are a scenario search item.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Access Denied
msg tools
Hey guys, thanks so much for your responses, it has helped a lot!

Will be trying an advanced scenario soon, everyone has loved the game so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
welcome to the world of LNOE!

Excellent responses by everyone.

It is very important strategically for the heroes and zombies to know what is in each other's hands and help each other out. That said, veteran players do try to "overhear" the table talk and react accordingly.

The keys are a search item for some scenarios like Escape in the Truck, but in others they are not as useful. As other posters mentioned, they allow you to open doors that zombies lock, especially if you play with advanced rules (from expansions) that KEEP doors locked unless a hero has the keys or breaks down the door.
Besides their secondary ability to allow heroes to draw cards, they can also help as a "filler item" in case a zombie forces you to drop an item. Much better to drop the "useless" keys instead of an important weapon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Guy
United States
California
flag msg tools

Welcome indeed. It's fun in a box!
This thread is full of excellence.

Sappington wrote:
there are way too many cards for each to be explained in the rule book. If you don't see it explicitly mentioned somewhere, then just do what the card text says. :-)

He said it, brother. The card text in this game is very clear. Read it OUT LOUD and then do what you just said. You may find it useful to keep the Master Card List on the table: http://www.flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=LNOE_M...
The pages are cross-referenced with the FAQ.

BriBri is on the money, too. Heroes should constantly be plotting and planning. Zombies also, but since there's only two it's easier for them to keep it quiet.

Now see if that truck in the center of town will start...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Silver
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-Waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:

I would just like to add that I think the response to your question is actually "No" (though the explanation was correct). If I understand correctly the situation you're describing is this:
You want to pick up the Pump Shotgun in the police station and think it's in the discard pile. You go through the discards, but it isn't actually there. Then you're allowed to pick up a Hero card instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lorinsilver wrote:
Sappington wrote:

I would just like to add that I think the response to your question is actually "No" (though the explanation was correct). If I understand correctly the situation you're describing is this:
You want to pick up the Pump Shotgun in the police station and think it's in the discard pile. You go through the discards, but it isn't actually there. Then you're allowed to pick up a Hero card instead.

Correct. You are allowed to go through the discard pile to see if the item is there before deciding to use the Pick Up ability. If it's not there then you may Search normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.