10 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: What to do with RotR? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Song
msg tools
Hi guys,
I've been considering buying this for a while, but I didn't want this to be a game where the core sets collecting dust, while I'm playing the newest one.

1)Is the general consensus when playing skulls and shackles don't mix the two sets together?

2)Is skulls and shackles a vast improvement to RotR?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
ivreal wrote:
1)Is the general consensus when playing skulls and shackles don't mix the two sets together?

Don't mix them.

Quote:

Yes, an improvement, but not a vast one. Some of the S&S scenarios are a little more interesting than those in RotR, but it's still basically the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ivreal wrote:

Other than character's, I'd say yes. Banes from RotR in particular would mess up some of the stuff that happens in S&S, even if by just depleting the pool of cards.

ivreal wrote:

In terms of the game, I'm not going to say improvement, but I will say that S&S is more of a challenge. I've played through scenario 3.2 of S&S and we've lost 4 times so far. So that is 4 of the 17 scenarios we've played dealing us a loss.

There are also a lot more cool interactions, with undefeated banes getting attached to locations or characters and adding effects to turns, or with more stuff happening before and after you act (previously known as before and after the encounter).

If you enjoyed RotR, unless the theme turns you off for some reason, I'd say you'll enjoy S&S even more.

As for what to do with it, I'm keeping mine. I'm going to basically collect them all, but that probably won't shock anyone who has been on the forums a while.

I also like the possibility that once I get enough of them, I could make my own adventure path by combining cards from one with the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And there is something coming next spring that we don't yet know how it interacts with RotR or S&S. So your core set may have some replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Voigt
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:

And there is something coming next spring that we don't yet know how it interacts with RotR or S&S. So your core set may have some replayability.

Doubtful. While it is true that we do not know for sure what's in store, I think it will be just another adventure path, with 11 new character cards. They already revealed several of the iconics that will be used. Kyra and Seelah will be returning if I remember correctly, it's on the Paizo forums somewhere.

Don't expect any continuation of previous paths and you won't be dissapointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Song
msg tools
Oh okay thanks guys! I think I might wait for the next one. It sounds cool. Hopefully there will be some new interesting concepts in that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakari Laiho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in my opinion played over 5 times scenario 2, and this is pissing me off... Which rorl did not any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
In terms of the game, I'm not going to say improvement, but I will say that S&S is more of a challenge. I've played through scenario 3.2 of S&S and we've lost 4 times so far. So that is 4 of the 17 scenarios we've played dealing us a loss.

There are also a lot more cool interactions, with undefeated banes getting attached to locations or characters and adding effects to turns, or with more stuff happening before and after you act (previously known as before and after the encounter).

If you enjoyed RotR, unless the theme turns you off for some reason, I'd say you'll enjoy S&S even more.
Hmm, so I guess for someone who didn't enjoy the previous set, this set will do nothing to change their mind, right?

I'm not even sure why I'm supposed to buy a new base set if nothing much about the game has changed. Looks like a money grab to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Hmm, so I guess for someone who didn't enjoy the previous set, this set will do nothing to change their mind, right?

I'm not even sure why I'm supposed to buy a new base set if nothing much about the game has changed. Looks like a money grab to me.

You're not *supposed* to buy anything if you don't like the game. If you really didn't like RoTR (and it's clear you don't) then you probably wouldn't change your mind with S & S. Let some other game grab your money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
untitledFolder wrote:
If you really didn't like RoTR (and it's clear you don't) then you probably wouldn't change your mind with S & S. Let some other game grab your money.
Thanks. After the RotR fiasco I had bought Robinson Crusoe which I'm currently enjoying a lot.
And yesterday I ordered Ghost Stories - I was a bit on the fence about that one but after watching a gameplay video I think, I might enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.