Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Winters
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree! I have seen a lot of comments on this subject and many people seem to have developed house rules to compensate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, no one has ever thought that before.

whistle

Gah! ninja'd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outzone wrote:
I love the game but after playing some of the scenarios where cars are involved, I wondered if cars are a little overpowered. Even though fatties are immune against them, you can pretty much clear the board by running down zombies back and forth. Not a game breaker but I have the feeling that cars might be a little too powerful.
Does anyone else share the same feeling?

Cars can be very powerful. One of the biggest things that helps balance them is the fact that only the driver gets experience from the kills, so unless actions are spent getting in and out of the drivers seat to give everyone an even chance at getting several kills, it's very easy to have one survivor shoot ahead in experience, and go up a level or two, which makes it VERY difficult for the rest of the survivors. Even if folks are playing musical chairs in the car to give everyone a chance to drive, it takes an action to get out of the seat, and another one to get into the seat, so at yellow, you're looking at two driving actions a turn for 3 survivors. You can't have more than 3 survivors in the car and effectively trade spots.

Finally, (this goes not just for cars but pretty much every game element that folks feel might be too powerful), cars are one of several pieces of the game that can been added to specific missions, and are added to a lot of the missions in the rule books. If there are missions that involve cars that seem way too easy because of the cars, it might be because the mission is poorly designed, not because the car is too powerful. Many missions allow for cars to be searched but not driven. Some missions don't have cars at all. Missions that have drive-able cars definitely add a powerful weapon to the survivors' tool box, but well designed missions take that into account when placing things like rubble, spawn zones and mission objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hicks
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That being said, I agree. They are too powerful lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
lokisfun wrote:
That being said, I agree. They are too powerful lol

I would disagree with this comment. They are powerful. But not too powerful - ie not so powerful that they spoil the game. The same applies to companion dogs. (I wondered why it takes two actions to get a survivor and his dog into a car. My son said that his friend can take all day to get his dog into his car!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are unbalanced rather than over powered. Their only real downside is that the driver can shoot ahead of the rest of the team and put the others in a danger level they can't really cope with.

I tend to leave them out of missions I write because of this.

It might have been better if the cars only hit some of the targets in the zone rather than all, maybe limit them to 4 dice rather than 1 dice per actor.

OR maybe the chance should be been based on the number of actors in the zone. E.g. 1 actor = 4+, 2-4 = 5+, More = 6+.

OR there should be a chance for them to break down, maybe based on how may zombies they just ran over.

However when the game was set up they didn't take either of those routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falseemp wrote:

I designed a mission that we could not win until I added a drivable car.

At first I avoided scenarios that had cars in them, but now we just don't drive the car unless things get desperate.

Scenarios that use cars as getaway or transport vehicles have never bothered me.

I have played this game a lot!
At first I really did not like the car rules, but now I have grown to accept and embrace them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the mission where you have to crash the cars into the walls to create makeshift doorways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
Falseemp wrote:

I designed a mission that we could not win until I added a drivable car.

At first I avoided scenarios that had cars in them, but now we just don't drive the car unless things get desperate.

Scenarios that use cars as getaway or transport vehicles have never bothered me.

I have played this game a lot!
At first I really did not like the car rules, but now I have grown to accept and embrace them.

One of my missions does have a car in it, but there's a chance each action it's moved that it breaks down. When we played that one the car broke down in the middle of a large group. As you can imagine it made using the car a calculated risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main issue with cars is that there is no limit to the number of dice you roll.

You'd have to be crazy to think Cars are balanced as-is. Will you get more exp if you drive a car? Yeah... but that's a silly argument for saying they aren't overpowered. It's easy to switch drivers and it's still far more efficient than any other zombie killing means even with the loss of action for switching.

If the dice were capped at say... 6, they wouldn't be so bad. The issue is that you can have a space with 10 or 15 zombies and you have the car go through them and roll that many dice.

Another option could be that fatties and aboms pin cars. I kind of like that because it adds a risk to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A chance of them pinning cars would be good, say a die per fatty and on a 6 they pin the car. For Aboms it would be 5-6. That way you could still risk it knowing it could be game over if it goes wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
our group simply requires a gas card before the car can be moved, then once its been "filled" with the gas, its limited to 20 square movement until another gas card is required to be used to move it again.

It keeps things well balanced.. makes the group decide between using gas for a molotov or limited use on a car.. it also keeps the car from being overused to rack up points on everyone due to its limited distance..

this simple change has made them much better for us.. most of the time, even though they are there, they sit because its not worth using the gas on them, but every once and a while, its a great get away option in the homestretch of a map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telnets wrote:
our group simply requires a gas card before the car can be moved, then once its been "filled" with the gas, its limited to 20 square movement until another gas card is required to be used to move it again.

It keeps things well balanced.. makes the group decide between using gas for a molotov or limited use on a car.. it also keeps the car from being overused to rack up points on everyone due to its limited distance..

this simple change has made them much better for us.. most of the time, even though they are there, they sit because its not worth using the gas on them, but every once and a while, its a great get away option in the homestretch of a map ;)

I like this, how do you track the 20 moves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falseemp wrote:
Telnets wrote:

this simple change has made them much better for us.. most of the time, even though they are there, they sit because its not worth using the gas on them, but every once and a while, its a great get away option in the homestretch of a map

I like this, how do you track the 20 moves?

I would assume a 20 sided die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
We dont actualy use the car itself on the board.. we use a micro machine police car to proxy as the car on the board.. its easier to move, and it doesnt take up a lot of space.

When a player gets into a police car for example, then we put them on the car cutout beside the board, indicating they are in the car, then we just move the micro machine

But yeah, tracking, is just done by any counter we have on hand.. usualy its a scrap paper we just mark up, sometimes we will just use the back of our charachter cards (we have them laminated and use dry erase markers on them).. or if we have it handy, i have a giant 3" 20 sided dice we use for a counter for a few games... but thats only if there is only 1 car to track because i dont have more then the one die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the big issue is that cars are powerful weapons as well as movement bonuses.

They get to roll a potentially large number of dice, with a good chance to hit/kill each. I think even just dropping the to-kill value of a car to 5+ would make them more balanced. Either that, or reduce the number of dice that a car can roll to kill a zombie (rather than getting # dice = # zombies in the zone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
With the new skinner zombies cars won't be as powerful as they will likely create a bunch of crawler zombies each time you run over a large mob meaning it will be harder to get rid of zombies. Every time you roll a 1 while killing non-crawler Skinners you create a crawler, but not more crawlers than zombies killed during the attack. The more dice you roll the more likely you are to create crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rayburn
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I always say drivers can not shoot which seems to balance things a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.