Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For many of us, holidays are a rare chance to get some games to the table that require large numbers of players, but these gatherings bring unique challenges due to the various personalities and preferences of mixed company.

I've got a mix of older and younger folks, and thought Timeline might be a good opener. I mixed the American History and Americana versions to appeal to the particular group I'm having; one of the great features of this game is that you can target it to your specific group!

I'd like to get Dixit to the table, but we have a request for Apples to Apples, so I'm not sure if we'll be able to get in both. What are you hoping play for this holiday?

Let's give thanks for our passionate interest in this unique hobby, the games that make it all possible, and of course, each other! Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bringing Off Your Rocker, which I bid on at the Jack Vassel auction specifically with holidays in mind. My family is already a bunch of basket cases, so the thought of having them all act crazy on purpose was just too good to pass up.

Pete (likes party games more than the average BGGer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Turn Yet?
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="My Turn Yet?
badge
30 Days, 0 plays
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going to my brother-in-laws house, and there aren't many gamers, so I'll probably bring Suburbia, Takenoko and maybe Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. Also "The Backpack" which I carry in my car with Love Letter, This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 of Us, Coin Age, and a deck of playing cards.

However, my wife did an amazing thing and invited all the parents in my son's class to join us on Friday for a game day. I'm stunned (and thankful).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah W
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're for sure bringing 7 Wonders and probably Small World Underground as well. As usual Resistance Avalon with come along-I bring it any time I think we will have a group of 5+, but I still haven't been able to get people to play cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even imagine my family playing the games y'all are listing. I recently tried to teach my uncle to play Pokémon Trading Card Game with my 5-year old daughter. It was WAAAAAY over his head!

Pete (plays party games with the family)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an interesting mix coming:

An experienced board gamer.
A couple who has never played tabletop games, but has an interest I think. They have a three year old with them.
my 82 year old mother who does have an interest
my son and his girlfriend who do like games
my husband who hates learning new games

So ... I am thinking Libertalia, Concept...or perhaps Dixit or Wise and Otherwise. I imagine we will only play one game, so I will have to make it count. I like the idea of Timeline, actually, but I don't own it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paigew wrote:
However, my wife did an amazing thing and invited all the parents in my son's class to join us on Friday for a game day. I'm stunned (and thankful).

That is too awesome! Better to stomp the other parents in King of Tokyo than stomp them on the way to Shopkins and Skylanders during Black Friday sales!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D O'Brien
United States
Western New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing says Thanksgiving like Sushi Go! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Case
msg tools
We'll probably play Mystery of the Abbey and The Pillars of the Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
So ... I am thinking Libertalia, Concept...or perhaps Dixit or Wise and Otherwise.

O.o Quite a group you've got there! Can't go wrong with Dixit, I figure, since theme isn't an issue and everybody likes coming up with their own ideas. I'm not familiar with Wise or Otherwise; how's that one play out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="plezercruz"]I recently tried to teach my uncle to play Pokémon Trading Card Game with my 5-year old daughter. It was WAAAAAY over his head!
q]

Hahaha, yeah, Pokémon is deceptively complex. It may be time to break out Trivial Pursuit. hahahah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D O'Brien
United States
Western New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Turkey day bag of gaming goodness. For all those young and old who are not in a food or football coma meeple
Sushi Go!
Carcassonne
Awkward Family Photos
Euchre
Timeline
Coloretto
Concept
Double Bananagrams
Dixit and all the expansions
Don't Rock the Boat
Hanabi
Yahtzee: Texas Hold'em
We Didn't Playtest This At All and all the others in the line
Tapple
Spot it! nhl edition and preschool
Qwirkle
Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game and the expansions
Pairs
end the night with 12 Days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Slate
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing is better for bringing out family resentments like Cash and Guns. Machi Koro and Ticket to Ride Europe round things out for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up - hoping to get this to the table...I think my brothers, nephews, and nieces might enjoy it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow, meeps! That's some list! Bang up job, there; they all seem perfectly fitting for such an occasion. Guess you better eat a PB & J before the festivities -- it doesn't sound like there will be time for dinner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Domination.

My two daughters (7 and 11) do not have school this week and have been spending all of their time on YouTube. To get them off of the computer, I gave them a project to design a "spaceship combat" game. That was the full set of requirements. It was up to them to create the game from scratch from bits lying around the house. They were not allowed to discuss the game with me so that I could play it with a pristine mind set.

They spent about six hours straight working on the game and even play tested the game. Tomorrow, they are going to teach me how to play their new creation of Galactic Domination.

Man, I'm looking forward to see how they did.

FWIW, the oldest designed Let's Build a Village a few years back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's phenomenal! Way t' be! Let us know how it plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblackwell wrote:
Wow, that's phenomenal! Way t' be! Let us know how it plays!

You bet. I'll let you know. If it work well enough, I'll submit the game to BGG and post rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblackwell wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:
So ... I am thinking Libertalia, Concept...or perhaps Dixit or Wise and Otherwise.

O.o Quite a group you've got there! Can't go wrong with Dixit, I figure, since theme isn't an issue and everybody likes coming up with their own ideas. I'm not familiar with Wise or Otherwise; how's that one play out?

Odd sayings from around the world ... guess which ending to a phrase is an actual proverb or saying. It's fun. Here is the link: Wise and Otherwise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a stack of titles right next to my bed that I hope to get on the table. We've got a split celebration this year with small stuff at home tomorrow followed by another small gathering on Friday at my brothers place.
Currently my mini tower consists of:
Lords of Waterdeep along with Scoundrels of Skullport
Rise of Augustus
Ticket to Ride
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Elder Sign
King of Tokyo
Splendor
Jungle Speed
The Resistance: Avalon
Qwirkle

Also have my tradition of a cinematic turkey for the family to endure. This year we're viewing Samurai Cop. Very excited for that, though I wonder if it'll be anywhere near as exhausting as last years flick, Birdemic 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bagwell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-Coup (with expansion)
-The Resistance
-Diamonds
-Dixit (with two expansions)
-Ca$h N Guns
-Five Crowns
-Dead of Winter
-Tsuro
-One Night Ultimate Werewolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Realms Unraveled, Lords of Waterdeep and maybe my old Eon copy of Cosmic Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Sunday for me regular game group, I'm putting out New Amsterdam based on the Thanksgiving theme.

Pete (posted this in another thread too, so sorry for the repetition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to a Thanksgiving potluck with about 75 people, very few of whom are "gamers".
As such, probably a party game/big group game night.
Telestrations
Times Up Title Recall
Reverse Charades
Till Dawn
Tapple
Liars Dice
and I'm sneaking in Lords of Waterdeep in case there are some folks who want to do a slower paced game later in the evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Hagee
United States
Conrad
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We're mostly party game people right now - due to several small people at my house. - Since all of my family is in other states from me, we are the orphans being taken in by my BFF & her husband (and her mom who just moved to our town) with probably a couple of other orphan people, or her family members.

I grew up with Trivial Pursuit with Step-Dad's Family.
With Mom's family it was Perudo, Tripoly, Mexican Train, and card games like Hearts, Spades & Canasta.

Tomorrow, I am taking Tenzi, Pandemic, Can't Stop, Mexican Train & some card games.
We broke out Forbidden Island last year. And Apples to Apples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.