Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
DVG has given me the greenlight to invite some of you guys to shape the expansion.

What you'd do:
I am creating a private play-testing forum where I'll be bouncing ideas off you guys and getting feedback from real players.

As we move on I'll be uploading printable components. This will allow you to craft the pieces, play the game and help balance the many cards. There is only so much I can do on my own, but having some extra hands would be helpful.

All you'll need to take part:
- Internet to use the forum
- Printer to print out components (I'll try to limit paper usage)

I don't expect anyone to be active every day, but I'm hoping for at least once a week.

Signing Up
If you are interested in being part of the group post in this thread with the following information:

- How much did you like the original Cards of Cthulhu? (1-10)
- How well do you know the Cthulhu Mythos?(1-10)
- How often did you play solo vs. playing with a group?
- Approximate Win / Loss ratio?
- Any additional comments you might want me to know?

Answer honestly, I'm not counting it against you. I just want to choose a solid spread of player types. I'm looking to improve the game for everyone.

I'm PM any chosen players an invite to the forum.

Even if you're not chosen right off, slots will be opening up throughout the development. I'll be adding new players at regular increments.

There are no guarantees that everyone will be chosen, but I want you to know that I am listening.

Other things you can do
Even if you don't have the the time or desire to join there is plenty you can do to help.

First, I've created a feedback thread where you can offer your suggestions or desires for the expansion. It'll give me an easy place to gauge YOUR priorities.

Second, spread the word. Tell people to buy the original, mention the testing to players who might not see this forum and so on.

- - -

I appreciate you guys playing my game and I'm hoping I can live up to your expectations with the sequel.

Ian Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules to CoC and I really like what I've read.

I'd say that I'm an 8/10 for Cthulhu knowledge.

I'd be happy to lend myself to this project in whatever capacity I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 8
2. 8
3. only solo, about 10 times
4. 60% win, getting better with more plays
5. never play-tested before, but plenty of time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play test if given the chance.

1. Original game rating: 8

2. Mythos knowledge: 10.

3. Solo play: 2 times (won both)
multi (anywhere from 2-5 people) about 10 times (3 wins, 7 losses)

4. Note: I played the 5 player game because we had 5 people and...why not? We got mopped fairly quickly in that game...I got to play twice before we lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravazul wrote:

1. 8
2. 8
3. only solo, about 10 times
4. 60% win, getting better with more plays

I'm of the same values as Ravazul and would love to play test and contribute to The Cards of Cthulhu. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
1. Rating in scale 1-10: 8/10.

2. Cthulhu Mythos: 3/10 (Cthulhu Theme: 10/10).

3. Cards of Cthulhu solo play 100% so far.

4. ~90% win (standard difficulty), ~50% win (5 card + and half of "good" card removal option).

5. What is most important to get the right balance in the game. Too many goodies and game become easy and boring, on the other hand if game become to hard it can discourage to play it again.

I can easily play more than once a week.
Internet connection 10/10.
Printer 10/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
c08mk wrote:
What is most important to get the right balance in the game. Too many goodies and game become easy and boring, on the other hand if game become to hard it can discourage to play it again.

Yeah, getting the balance right is quite a challenge. It gets worse because individual thought process and play styles impact it. Whats easy for you might be difficult to me.

Hopefully, with you guys involved I'll have enough viewpoints to do better this time through.

I'll likely start messaging people in the next week or so. I'm building the forum and prototyping some of the high concepts.

I appreciate everybody for the feedback and volunteering. You've given me alot of good stuff to work with and I have very high hopes for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
8/10—like the game
9/10—Mythos knowledge (3/10 Sanity left)
Mostly solo, once with 2.
Mostly wins after first play horrible loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've sent out a number of invites over the last couple weeks and I'm hoping open up discussions starting on Monday. We've got a few pretty big topics that'll be ready for examinations.

It's the holiday season and you should all be enjoying your time with your family. But the forums will be open for when you want a break from them .

Anyone interested just keep an eye on your BGG inbox and feel free to sign up here if you haven't already. I'll likely try to recruit more people on a regular basis throughout development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mb
Sure -I'd be interested:

- How much did you like the original Cards of Cthulhu? (1-10) ~ 7 for me. The components and artwork were great, but the boards for the cards need some improvement - I think it would have be better with a single board instead of the 4 boards.

- How well do you know the Cthulhu Mythos?(1-10) ~ 6. I've read about 50-60% of everything that Lovecraft published,

- How often did you play solo vs. playing with a group? - My plays of the game have been strictly solo.

- Approximate Win / Loss ratio? ~ 70% win / 30% loss

In general I like the game and think it has a lot of potential. I'm not in love with the game at the moment because I think it's too easy and needs some additional work. That said, I have no issues consistently playing the game as the theme holds my interest, and in general I love playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
-I think it would have be better with a single board instead of the 4 boards.

That is a possibility that I've thought about. There were comments about warping boards and I wanted to at least consider an alternative. I have one idea, but there would be a cost.

More cults are currently likely with the expansion. Using the current components you'd simply set up any set of boards and play normally.

A single board can't be customized in the same way.

- - -

With a single board, we'd need to use a more generic look instead of the fancy Elder God images. We'd have slots for 4 cults and a slot for "The Elder God".

This "Elder God" slot would either be a card or a token that that has the Elder God's picture and associated icon. This way you know which section belongs to each cult.

- - -

There may even be a higher monetary cost for the improved materials.

Technically, decisions on components would be up DVG, but I don't think they mind hearing everyone's thoughts on the matter.

What does everybody think about the components? Would you be willing to pay a more and lose the pretty art for something more sturdy?

I'd probably lean towards the "Stick with what we have" camp, but my boards are still in good shape. Depending on everyone else's experiences it's worth discussing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My boards were a little warped right out of the shrinkwrapped box, but I can deal with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- How much did you like the original Cards of Cthulhu? (8)
- How well do you know the Cthulhu Mythos?(7)
- How often did you play solo vs. playing with a group? (75% solo)
- Approximate Win / Loss ratio? (75% standard/50% hard +1 card)

I really love the simplicity of the game. The design and theme are really great and really resonate with me. I think that if you stick with these two strongest points when adding any expansions, you won't be able to go wrong! I like the idea of a Nyarlathotep board and necessary Witch Cult & Mi-Go minions, certainly...

I can play the game once per week, for sure. Maybe more when testing. Can test 2-player variants much of the time, perhaps 3 soon enough if a friend learns it this week.

I don't have a color printer, but I could print at a local printer, if the amount needed isn't too great. I'd be happy to help out in any way I can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
No need for color printing. I'm pushing really hard to minimize the ink usage and other expendable costs. I want this to be a benefit for you guys instead of a money hole.

I'll probably be inviting more people in the next week or two so keep an eye on your messages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
- How much did you like the original Cards of Cthulhu?
only solo
probably 75% loss
I have beta tested a few different software products and enjoyed the process as well as contributing some ideas that made it into the final product. Would be interested to try with a board (card) game.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered the first edition today.

Stumbled over it by accident after the review by Marco.

I know we have the same kind of preferences in games and I missed the game completely at launch.

I am sure you will all do an excellent job.

MORE Lovecraft !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
viglaw
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,

50%
75%
own TCOC for 3 month and played it several time...
Alone or with my daughter (12 years old)

We would be happy to contribute to this project...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buckingham
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definatly would be interested in helping. I recently started playing (jan 2015) and have about 30ish games in. I find it to be my 'go to' game when I do not feel like spending lots of setup time before playing a card based game (thinking of my other favs like Thunderstone Adv, Ascension, Pathfinder Adv Card game,and Legendary). Like the challenge but would love a little more difficulty without more 'Fidelly' rules. Also, like others have mentioned a single board maybe with both sides used (A side B side). The ones with the game game warped (not horrible).

7/10
2/10
80 percent solo (of The 30ish games played)
75/25

Help in any way needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

Looking forward to helping out!

- How much did you like the original Cards of Cthulhu? 7
- How well do you know the Cthulhu Mythos? 8
- How often did you play solo vs. playing with a group? 100% solo
- Approximate Win / Loss ratio? 50/50

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Santos
msg tools
Hi Ian

I dont know if you still need playtesters but id be happy to help.

100% solo
50/50

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xipe Totec
England
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may well be too late considering I only just ordered the game a few days ago but when I came here and saw this thread I figured I'd ask if the views of a more mature player just starting the game with the new expansion parts was of any value to you and if so then I'd be happy to help.

Obviously I can't really give ratings for the game just yet, but as far as the Cthulhu Mythos goes, I'm no expert but I've read all of H.P.Lovecraft's stories and been interested in the Mythos and symbolism for almost 30 years, so easily 7 or 8/10 for that one.

Edit:

Okay, well I've now played 7 solo games so feel like I can offer an opinion, so...

- How much did you like the original Cards of Cthulhu? - 7/10 It's a really easy game to get into and fairly quick to play.

- Cthulhu Mythos - 7/10

- All solo games so far.

- Win / Loss ratio? - 5 wins / 2 losses. I've found that unless things go horribly wrong with the first few rolls (like with the two games I lost really quickly in 10-15 minutes) I've won very comfortably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wall
Australia
Forest Lake
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just received my copy this afternoon (with some extra coins and dice) and knocked over 5 games right away. Won the first game through some strategic rules misobservation and lost the rest.

7/10 'first impressions' for the game
7/10 for mythos knowledge
5/5 games solo (I bought it solely for solo)
0 honest wins

Cheers for putting together a fun single-player experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If its not too late.

1- 7.5 see my BGG rating
2- 8 played a lot of Cthulhu RPG and read all of Lovecrafts books
3- solo games but bringing to my team thursday
4- lost a lot!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I wanted to let you guys know that anyone not invited yet, you've got one coming this week. I've got a pretty much complete project here, but I'd like to get as many people in as possible for a final play-testing push.

Anyone who hasn't signed up here, you've got until Friday to sign up here. Odds are, we won't be needing more people at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.