Subject: What's next? Advice needed for self publishing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have playtested my card game.

I have finalized the card and box designs.

I have done the rule booklet and gotten it reviewed.

I have a quote from a manufacturer.

I have already got a pre-order from a school and interests from several organizations.

Before I say yes please print it, what else do I need to do? Is there anything I have left out?

I also hope to get it listed here at BGG. What do I need to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trademark the name of the game if you expect market success. The filing fees for filing a trademark is about $325. A decent IP attorney should be able to file for a mark in class 28 with G&S of "card games" for less than a total of $500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
have us look at the rulebook.

if any group can find mistakes for you, it's us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you plan on selling it in stores? If so, you need to look at getting distributors interested in it. For hobby games in particular you should contact Alliance and ACD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I need to apply for trademark. Thanks for the reminder.

And nope, I don't intend to sell to stores yet cos I am targeting local schools. If schools don't want it, then I can probably forget about the general market.

I am willing to share PnP with my BGG community of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finally submitted my card designs for printing. Hallelujah!

Now I am working on my book, using Microsoft word for text, photoshop for cover design and publisher for illustrations in the text. Is that adequate to achieve a decent look for the book? How do I combine the cover with the script to come up with the PDF book.

Pardon me for asking unprofessional questions cos this is the first time I ever did something like this - write and self publish a book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angatheart wrote:
.. using Microsoft word for text, photoshop for cover design and publisher for illustrations in the text. Is that adequate to achieve a decent look for the book? How do I combine the cover with the script to come up with the PDF book.

I am sure you can export the Photoshop image in a format that Word will retrieve. If you plan to keep going in the self-publishing business you may want to invest time learning a "proper" DTP package, such as Scribus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.