Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a game for my dad... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dobby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions, I'm looking to get a game for my dad. He has played most of the gateway games (Carcassone, Dominion, Settlers, Ticket to Ride, etc). Out of the games we have played he says his favorites are:

- Ticket to Ride
- Power Grid
- Viticulture

We played Agricola, but he said it's a little hard for him to figure out what he should do, with all the various cards. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just the two of you playing? Any particular themes that your dad likes/dislikes?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sdobby wrote:
We played Agricola, but he said it's a little hard for him to figure out what he should do, with all the various cards. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We left out the card decks most of the time, because they were also too much (and felt unnecessary) for us. Still, I really like that they were included with the game.


It appears that your Dad is into strategy games, and because you mentioned Settlers of Catan, I also take that you are playing with at least 3 players.

These games could feel familiar, compared to what he has played so far:


Stone Age

E Stone Age is a great first worker placement game. The components (including the board illustration) are great, the rules are easy, the game flows fast. Like Settlers of Catan, the roll of a die decides on gathering ressources, but the clever twist Stone Age does on that concept is: decide yourself how many of your workers you send out collecting a certain ressource, and roll as many dice, increasing the odds. Easy and fair concept everybody can get into, especially after years of bad rolls frustration in Catan .


Airlines Europe

E I always recommend this to fans of Ticket to Ride, as it is a nice but not to steep step up. It's from the same designer, so some aspects can feel familiar. The biggest and most interesting difference is the implementation of a stock market, which offers deeper strategy.


These games will feel a bit different, compared to what he has played so far:

Lords of Vegas

2-4 players (competitive)
Easy rules
Great components
High level of competition/conflict
Opened up trade phase (almost anything can be traded - including the funding of other player's actions !)
High dependency of dice rolls (fitting to the theme, but some people could dislike the high luck dependency)
Expansion available
E Dice rolling, area control

E This game is featured on TableTop (YouTube).


Pandemic

2-4 players (cooperative)
Easy rules
Unique roles/powers for each player
Adjustable difficulty
High-tension gameplay
Expansions available
E Hand management, set collecting, action points

E You mentioned no cooperative games, which could mean that he dislikes cooperative games. If not, I highly recommend this game.

E This game is featured on TableTop (YouTube).


Suburbia

1-4 players (competitive)
Mid-weight rules
High replay value (many different tiles/buildings, available pool is randomised at the beginning of each turn)
Relatively abstract illustrations (though necessary to provide a good overview)
Fresh game concept
Expansion available
E Pattern building, engine building


7 Wonders

2-7 players (competitive)
Easy rules
Great compontent quality (gorgeous illustrations)
Fast-paced gameplay, very low downtimes
Expansions available
E Drafting, engine building, set collecting



Not played by myself yet, but what about Puerto Rico ?
If it's too complex, I can absolutely recommend Puerto Rico's little brother San Juan, which is a very clever "easy to learn but hard to master" card game for 2-4 players. The ►reprint with completely new (and much nicer) illustrations will hopefully be available soon.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We could use a few more details to help out in full but it definitely seems like he digs classy euro stuff.
Have you tried any Feld titles like Castles of Burgundy, or Bruges? Perhaps something like Pillars of the Earth could be up his alley.
Actually, Domaine could be awesome. Not too complicated but still deep, nice bits & piece. Might be just the thing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions so far! They've been great

Bondgoldfinger wrote:
Is it just the two of you playing? Any particular themes that your dad likes/dislikes?


There are usually anywhere from 2-5 of us playing. Not sure if theme matters as much, if it's fun he can get around the theme.

Kyur wrote:
We left out the card decks most of the time, because they were also too much (and felt unnecessary) for us. Still, I really like that they were included with the game.


That's a fantastic idea, I will definitely have to suggest that the next time we get a chance to play it.

cosmicsparky wrote:
We could use a few more details to help out in full but it definitely seems like he digs classy euro stuff.
Have you tried any Feld titles like Castles of Burgundy, or Bruges?


I actually don't have any Feld games at the moment (I know, blasphemy!), but I'm hoping to get some for Christmas this year. After watching some of Rahdo's runthroughs of Feld games, I could definitely see him being interested in them. I may have to look into CoB or Bruges...



I knew I could count on you guys for some great suggestions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
sdobby wrote:
We played Agricola, but he said it's a little hard for him to figure out what he should do, with all the various cards. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We left out the card decks most of the time, because they were also too much (and felt unnecessary) for us. Still, I really like that they were included with the game.


It appears that your Dad is into strategy games, and because you mentioned Settlers of Catan, I also take that you are playing with at least 3 players.

These games could feel familiar, compared to what he has played so far:


Stone Age

E Stone Age is a great first worker placement game. The components (including the board illustration) are great, the rules are easy, the game flows fast. Like Settlers of Catan, the roll of a die decides on gathering ressources, but the clever twist Stone Age does on that concept is: decide yourself how many of your workers you send out collecting a certain ressource, and roll as many dice, increasing the odds. Easy and fair concept everybody can get into, especially after years of bad rolls frustration in Catan .


Airlines Europe

E I always recommend this to fans of Ticket to Ride, as it is a nice but not to steep step up. It's from the same designer, so some aspects can feel familiar. The biggest and most interesting difference is the implementation of a stock market, which offers deeper strategy.


These games will feel a bit different, compared to what he has played so far:

Lords of Vegas

2-4 players (competitive)
Easy rules
Great components
High level of competition/conflict
Opened up trade phase (almost anything can be traded - including the funding of other player's actions !)
High dependency of dice rolls (fitting to the theme, but some people could dislike the high luck dependency)
Expansion available
E Dice rolling, area control

E This game is featured on TableTop (YouTube).


Pandemic

2-4 players (cooperative)
Easy rules
Unique roles/powers for each player
Adjustable difficulty
High-tension gameplay
Expansions available
E Hand management, set collecting, action points

E You mentioned no cooperative games, which could mean that he dislikes cooperative games. If not, I highly recommend this game.

E This game is featured on TableTop (YouTube).


Suburbia

1-4 players (competitive)
Mid-weight rules
High replay value (many different tiles/buildings, available pool is randomised at the beginning of each turn)
Relatively abstract illustrations (though necessary to provide a good overview)
Fresh game concept
Expansion available
E Pattern building, engine building


7 Wonders

2-7 players (competitive)
Easy rules
Great compontent quality (gorgeous illustrations)
Fast-paced gameplay, very low downtimes
Expansions available
E Drafting, engine building, set collecting



Not played by myself yet, but what about Puerto Rico ?
If it's too complex, I can absolutely recommend Puerto Rico's little brother San Juan, which is a very clever "easy to learn but hard to master" card game for 2-4 players. The ►reprint with completely new (and much nicer) illustrations will hopefully be available soon.


I am not a huge fan of Pandemic and haven't played Lords of Vegas but all others listed here are very good suggestions.

Your dad's interest in Ticket to Ride and Power Grid would make Africana and Chicago Express good choices to consider.

Highly recommend Goa
















2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
It might seem a bit overwhelming at first as there are so many little tiles, but each round you roll dice and have a limited selection based on your dice. Its marvelous game.
Cons:
game isn't that beautiful
plays max 4

Alien Frontiers uses basically the same system as Castles of Burgundy (to be technically correct- Castles of Burgundy got the mechanic from Alien Frontier).It lacks the cons too, but this makes it lack a bit of depth in my opinion. It doesn't make it a bad game, just a bit lighter, and less fiddly.

Lords of Waterdeep is great easy to teach light euro. You should give it a look.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a change of scenery with a light, beautiful war(ish) game?

1775: Rebellion
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Gheysen
Belgium
Roeselare-Rumbeke
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I wanna help you in your honorable quest! :-)

My advice:

1) The Manhattan Project: great game with a story-backdrop your father definitely knows about and that's easy to learn but full of possibilities and graphical goodies.

2) Nations: a small step up but worth the (albeit little) effort. Great variety and a sweet challenge every time you play.

Game on!

Grtz,


Frank
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
You should try Village...it might be something he enjoys.


I think he won't enjoy this because of all the choices you need to make.

sdobby wrote:

We played Agricola, but he said it's a little hard for him to figure out what he should do, with all the various cards.


This is a better choice I think:

Kyur wrote:


Stone Age

E Stone Age is a great first worker placement game. The components (including the board illustration) are great, the rules are easy, the game flows fast. Like Settlers of Catan, the roll of a die decides on gathering ressources, but the clever twist Stone Age does on that concept is: decide yourself how many of your workers you send out collecting a certain ressource, and roll as many dice, increasing the odds. Easy and fair concept everybody can get into, especially after years of bad rolls frustration in Catan .


Kyur wrote:

7 Wonders

2-7 players (competitive)
Easy rules
Great compontent quality (gorgeous illustrations)
Fast-paced gameplay, very low downtimes
Expansions available
E Drafting, engine building, set collecting

This might also involve too much choices... There are 8? different ways to score points, so for which should you go?

When I first played the village and 7 wonders, I was really overwhelmed by all the choices that I could make. I had totally no idea what to do... What is good? What should I do?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Höllviken
Skåne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Twilight Struggle or 1960: The Making of the President could be of interest.

The rules are not hard in any of them. You have a reasonable number of choices to choos from when you ate making your move and as both are "duel" games there are a lot to talk about afterwards.

Also the political and historical theme could be something tha suits him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If can find a copy of San Juan, it is an excellent hand management/tableau building game that is very easy to teach.

The new edition is coming out soon San Juan (second edition)
which contains the expansion and new artwork. TimeWellSpentGames.com has a relationship with Alea/Ravensburger and actually has the new edition in stock right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.