Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Custom Lightsaber Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some models use plastic tubing to represent glowing rods in GW Necron models and some Star Wars conversions.

I'm planning on painting up some figures from this game, Vader will definitely be one of them.

Where can i get this plastic tubing from? Can any modelers/painters out there point me in the right direction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic stir sticks you'd use for drinks come to mind, they're not of the highest quality mind you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pls/pls90271.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Durand
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

I've used these on custom mods of SW miniatures before, and they work great. They also last forever, I've made tons of customs and I think I may have used one full stick of each color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Donny, that's awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on using dayglow paints. Got this set last year, and finally have something to use it on.

http://forgedmonkey.com/products-page/hobby-supplies/dayglow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eldurand wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

I've used these on custom mods of SW miniatures before, and they work great. They also last forever, I've made tons of customs and I think I may have used one full stick of each color.

The sticks I used were over 6" long (looking at the link, should be 9") so that should be enough to do multiple mods per rod

While I like the colored sticks, each pack came with 10 rods, which tended to be a lot more of some colors than I needed. I have used the clear acrylic rods with colored sharpie markers to make different colors - same could be applied to make sabers. If you decide to try this, it is a bit messy, and be sure to test the color first to make sure you get the effect you like. Once you test, cut to size before applying

Can't wait to see your mods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Felkor wrote:
I plan on using dayglow paints. Got this set last year, and finally have something to use it on.

http://forgedmonkey.com/products-page/hobby-supplies/dayglow...

I need pictures of the result of this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nutter
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made a few customs with the rods myself in the past for the Star Wars minis game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look very nice! Thanks for posting.

Where did you get the rods? Do you think there is a way do file the ends so the lightsaber ends aren't so square?

I contacted HobbyLinc @ http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pls/pls90271.htm and these people have the biggest running joke for customer service.

They refused to give me a quote for shipping multiple items, and told me to calculate it myself with a link they provided. I then asked for the dimensions of the box they will use and the weight and they evaded the question, saying I need to purchase the items from them first. Only then would they be able to tell me the "actual shipping" cost but I'd be on the hook to pay them at that point. If anyone is interested I can paste over the email convo. Needless to say, I'm not buying anything from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasslefree minis have some.

http://hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=accessories~acrylic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So would drilling into the miniature with a hand drill be a way to do it?

I use an Army Painter hand drill to drill soft plastic boardgame miniatures. Works fine and inexpensive from MM : http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/16190...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nutter
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep - that drill is what I used. Which is harder than you might imagine on the soft plastic of the Star Wars Miniatures. The ones from Imperial assault are much stronger so should be easier. Currently working on my Vader with these.

Got my rods from here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UV-Reactive-Light-emitting-Glowing...LOU:GB:3160

But the Hasselfree guys are great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link Mark but the seller doesn't offer international postage

Is there a North American place that sells these things? There has to be with over 550 million people living here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found some.

However, what's the best size rod to buy? 1/16" or 1/8"?

It looks like the models have 1/8" lightsabers but maybe I could drill and pin a 1/16" lightsaber to the model? Is 1/16" too small?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
I think I found some.

It looks like the models have 1/8" lightsabers but maybe I could drill and pin a 1/16" lightsaber to the model? Is 1/16" too small?

I just so happen to have a 1/16th drill bit and a 1/8th drill bit in front of me.

I would say the 1/16th:

Here is the 1/16th right beside Darth's saber:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is very helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
I think I found some.

Heh heh heh he said rod he he...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe fife
United States
charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Do you think there is a way do file the ends so the lightsaber ends aren't so square?

I think the best way to taper the end would be by spot heat the rod and working it till it becomes thin enough at the point you want to separate it rather than cutting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to much work! Shave it off with an xacto or file it down. If it looks to do, hit it with gloss varnish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So I bought some "Plastruct Rod Round Fluorescent Blue 1/16" rods" from eBay.

Not cheap and it took a while for delivery.

They were supposed to look like this:

But in reality look almost like regular transparent tubing as they hardly have any blue tint them. I'm pretty pissed off. Total waste of my money and time.

Here is a bad picture (low light sorry) of a rod next to a FFG measuring ruler from X-Wing. You can get an idea of how little blue there in it.

I can confirm that 1/16" is the correct size you'd want. 1/8" would be too big.

Has anyone used Hasslefree ones? I'm at a loss of what to buy and don't want to throw my money at things wasting more time and getting more frustrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AHHH!!!! Sorry those didn't turn out to be any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That top picture from ebay looks like someone put a lamp / LED at the other end to make them glow like that. Did you try that with the delivered ones? (not that it would help with your Vader - but it might explain the differences in the pictures).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance some blue glaze from Games Workshop would make those plastic rods look better ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.