Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: What should I refer to this kind of game as? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W. Obenshain
msg tools
I'm trying to find games in a particular category but I don't want to ask a question that's already been answered a dozen times. I'm looking for games like "Infernal Contraptions". Specifically, I'm looking for games where the task execution order is both the driving mechanism and the thing affected by play.

I'd personally refer to them as "programming games" but it seems that the most common usage of this term is for games such as RoboRally that have you predetermine several moves in a row, rather than games where execution order is slowly modified.

I thought of referring to this as "engine building" but from what I understand this term is used to refer to games where building a resource generator is a major component, which is not what I'm looking for.

Basically, I really enjoy games where the choices are about adding, removing, changing or reordering predetermined actions rather than acting directly. A little weird, maybe, I know. Can anyone help me identify a good term to use in my searches and/or help me better codify (heh) my question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi W.,

Welcome to the Geek. I can't think of many (ok, any really) games that do that, so I don't think there is a term for it yet.

Wait a sec....take a look at Havana, that might be sort of what you're looking for.

You pick two actions to take. On the next turn, you keep one, and pick a new one, covering up the old one, and not being able to use it any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this will help, but you might want to check out Impulse. It has a couple of examples of task execution (the individual player's Plan, and the shared Impulse) that might be what you are describing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Obenshain
msg tools
Girl Genius: The Works and Infinite City are probably better examples of what I'm looking at with the choices interacting with the game state instead of determining it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.