Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been playing around with the new Silvan synergy and I've settled on this deck, which seems very solid and has the bonus that it is also strong in theme. There are a few tweaks here and there that I make to suit particular quests but it's holding up very well against the quests I've played through so far.

It's strength seems to be in its versatility, and there are no real "must have" cards that make it work. It starts out as a good deck that only gets better and better as you play more cards to the table. Of course, I'm a bit biased because its my deck...

Hero (3)
1x Celeborn (The Dunland Trap)
1x Haldir of Lórien (Trouble in Tharbad)
1x Mirlonde (The Drúadan Forest)

Ally (24)
3x Naith Guide (The Dunland Trap)
2x Orophin (Celebrimbors Secret)

3x Galadhrim Minstrel (Trouble in Tharbad)
2x Henamarth Riversong (Core Set)
2x Mirkwood Runner (Return to Mirkwood)
3x Rivendell Minstrel (The Hunt for Gollum)
3x Silvan Tracker (The Dead Marshes)

3x Defender of the Naith (Trouble in Tharbad)
3x Gandalf (Core Set)

Attachment (9)
3x Cram (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x Dunedain Mark (The Hunt for Gollum)
1x O Lórien! (Trouble in Tharbad)

2x Wingfoot (The Nin-in-Eilph)

Event (17)
3x Feigned Voices (The Three Trials)
3x Fresh Tracks (The Long Dark)
3x Sneak Attack (Core Set)

2x Secret Paths (Core Set)
3x Daeron's Runes (Foundations of Stone)
3x The Tree People (The Dunland Trap)

The first card I usually look to play is Rivendell Minstrel, and often delay playing anything first round so I can afford her. Once in play she allows me to search my deck for O Lorien, then contributes a solid 2 willpower to the quest every round. Once O Lorien is in play, resources no longer seem a problem. Most allies can be played for 2 or less resources (or cheated in for free), and all the attachments and events are very cheap at 0 or 1 cost.

Henamarth allows me to know what is coming off the encounter deck, and gives me 100% hit rate on Wingfoot, which obviously goes on Haldir.

Cram goes on Celeborn for emergency defence, but most of the defending should be done by Defenders of the Naith. Putting Naith Guides into play also provides Celeborn with Action Advantage.

Mirlonde usually quests, but can be held back for attack or for quest-specific use (such as exhausting to grab an objective.) She's not a great defender but she can be used at a push... Silvan Trackers can heal any damage. Her main use is lowering the starting threat to 26, and so maximising Haldirs ability to shoot into the staging area.

I usually pull Henamarth back into my hand after he is exhausted to trigger The Tree People or Feigned Voices, since he can be played back for one lore resource next round. Dropping a Galadhrim Minstrel into play off Tree People, then using her ability to pull another event into my hand is a decent combo.

Haldir is scary once he has a Dunedain Mark or two on him. I save the Fresh Tracks cards for those low engagement cost enemies.

All the allies in this deck are Silvans except Gandalf and the Rivendell Minstrels so the Silvan Trackers provide a ridiculous amount of passive healing.

Gandalf is used for card draw or threat reduction, depending on the situation. Sneak Attack provides maximum uses out of him.

Secret Paths is included to counter any high threat locations that drop into the staging area - this can easily be swapped out if the quest you play doesn't really call for it.

If you are playing a quest that is heavy on big enemies it might be worth considering swapping in 2 or 3 copies of Ranger Spikes for more staging area control. You could take out Secret Paths if the locations aren't too scary, or maybe Cram or even Fresh Tracks (but that card has saved my neck so many times...)

I have consistently beaten several quests with this deck, and I'm now working my way through the "Ringmaker" cycle. Journey to Rhosgobel seemed to cause it major problems, and The Redhorn Gate took me a few attempts before I defeated it. I haven't tried Escape from Dol Guldur because I value my sanity ;-)

Packs needed to build this deck:-
2 x core set (I proxy for the 3rd copy of Henamarth)
The Hunt for Gollum
The Dead Marshes
Return to Mirkwood
Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill
The Long Dark
Foundations of Stone
The Druadan Forest
The Dunland Trap
The Three Trials
Trouble in Tharbad
The Nin-in-Eilph
Celebrimbors Secret

(edited to correct the Henamarth mistake, and list slightly updated)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jenks
United States
Hamlin
New York
flag msg tools
Re: Solo Deck: Silvans
O Lorien only reduces the cost to play a Silvan ally to a minimum of 1 not -1. Riversong still costs 1 resource but other 2 cost silvan allies only cost 1 and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch - I've been playing that one wrong, although it doesn't really affect the performance of the deck so much. I mainly use O Lorien for reducing those 3 cost allies.

I've pretty much made the inclusion of Daeron's Runes a permanent change now. It's a much better fit for this deck that Gleowine.
So, remove 2 copies of Gleowine and 1 copy of Secret Paths to include 3 copies of Daeron's Runes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a cool and solid deck. Also a very good description of the synergies and how to play it. I am looking forward to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.

Update:- I attempted the notoriously difficult "Escape from Dol Goldur" and beat it first time, although I admit that I chose Mirlonde as the prisoner instead of choosing randomly.

I threw the deck against some more quests over the weekend and here's how it did:-

Encounter at Amon Din:- 2 attempts, 0 losses, 2 wins
Assault on Osgiliath:- 3 attempts, 1 loss, 2 wins
Blood of Gondor:- 1 attempt, 1 win
The Morgul Vale:- 4 attempts, 4 losses .... on reflection I don't think this is the deck for this quest

For the last quest I tried swapping in Grave Cairn to try and give the deck more brute attacking strength, but the combination of big enemies, chaining shadow effects and lots of high threat locations made it very difficult to progress.

The closest I got to winning was threating out on the last stage with 3 out of 5 damage on the Nazgul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the list to include Orophin, because having Ranged 3 attack on the round he enters play, plus his ability to pull a Silvan back from your discard pile is just too good to miss.
He's also another solid quester with 2 willpower (3 on his first round)
I took out a copy of Henamarth and a copy of Mirkwood runner to make room. Henamarth is great in this deck, but 3 copies of a unique can sometimes clog up your hand.

I've also been throwing in copies of Ranger Spikes against certain quests to take care of troublesome enemies. They break the 0 or 1 cost attachment pattern, but they work so well with Haldir, they can really make a tough quest much more manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this! Very fun. Have you managed to beat Anduin? I am 0-6 against Anduin trying to make two different Celeborn / Haldir / Mirlonde decks work (0-3 tonight with your decklist). All three of the attempts tonight I threated out on 3B. If I can't beat Anduin, I'm not going to bother trying other of the harder scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play Anduin as my first quest whenever I'm testing a new deck, because I agree... if a deck can't beat this quest it won't stand up to much else.

I tested it 3 times and beat it every time, so either I was very lucky or you were very unlucky.

With a starting threat of 24 it should be a few turns before the Hill Troll comes out to play. Getting Dunedain Marks on Haldir early will help so you can start chipping away at the troll in the staging area. If I managed to get sneak attack/gandalf early, I would make a judgement call (based on what I had in hand) on whether to lower threat, or put 4 damage on the troll.

If you hit 30 threat and the troll engages, feigned voices is your best means of stopping his attack, then you can attack back with impunity.

If you continue to struggle, try putting in 3 x Grave Cairns and taking out the Fresh Tracks as another way to boost Haldirs attack.

There should be enough tools in this deck to deal with the Hill Troll. If threating out is an issue, the only way to lower it is with Gandalf

Happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this again to make sure I wasn't falling supremely lucky. I type out the session and posted it here:-
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18938717

Hopefully it will help give an insight on how I pilot this deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over time I have tuned this deck a little more. The Rivendell Minstrels provided great WP for questing and enabled me to grab O Lorien right away, but their 1HP saw them die far too easily, and this together with their 3 cost has ultimately led me to cut them. In their place I have 3 Wandering Ents. Much beefier, cheaper and with the same WP but with the obvious disadvantage of entering play exhausted.
I had to increase the number of O Loriens to 3 to compensate. O Lorien or an Ent in your opening hand are pretty solid. Both is ideal.

The absolute MVP of the deck every time though is the Galadhrim Minstrel. Her ability to fetch an event is very powerful, and she should always be the target of any cards that allow you to pull a Silvan back to hand. The fact that she enters play with 2WP because of Celeborn is just the best gravy on top.

I also cut Fresh Tracks. It's useful at times but can be situational, and is the card that most often sat as a dead draw in my hand. 2 of those slots are taken by the extra copies of O Lorien. For the last slot I've thrown in a single copy of Ranger Bow for those times when Haldir is still ready at the end of combat, and he can't attack into the staging area, or he couldn't damage an enemy with high defence.
Some people may prefer to swap this for a single copy of Treebeard, which I wouldn't argue against (albeit expensive!)

For a while I took out Mirkwood Runner, but I missed his ability to ignore defence more than I realised I would! As a result he's kept his place on the team.

Hero (3)
1x Mirlonde (The Drúadan Forest)

Ally (24)

3x Wandering Ent (Celebrimbors Secret)

3x Gandalf (Core Set)

Attachment (9)
3x Cram (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x O Lórien! (Trouble in Tharbad)

1x Ranger Bow (Assault on Osgiliath)

Event (17)

2x Secret Paths (Core Set)
3x Daeron's Runes (Foundations of Stone)

If I was to call one card "not critical" to this deck, it would be Cram. It's great action advantage and the cost is perfect, but it is usually the first to be cut when quest specific cards are needed.
For example, I finally beat Journey to Rhosgobel with this deck, but I had 3 copies of Healing Herbs instead of Cram, and 2 copies of Lore of Imladris instead of Secret Paths.
I think this iteration of the deck has a little more versatility whilst being very consistent.

Nai tiruvantel ar varyuvantel i Valar tielyanna nu vilya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we have a new Silvan lore hero, it's time to retire Mirlonde from her position in the Solo Silvans. She has been an admirable hero, and by no means should this be taken as a slight on her contributions to the team. In fact, this is possible only very temporary, while I explore the new shinyness of Rossiel and her unique abilities!

Hero (3)
1x Rossiel (Escape from Mount Gram)

Ally (24)

3x Wandering Ent (Celebrimbors Secret)

3x Gandalf (Core Set)

Attachment (11)
3x O Lórien! (Trouble in Tharbad)
2x Cram (Over Hill and Under Hill)

1x Ranger Bow (Assault on Osgiliath)

Event (15)

3x Leave No Trace (Escape from Mount Gram)
3x None Return (Across the Ettenmoors)

Side Quests (1)
1x Scout Ahead (Wastes of Eriador)

So for the first time this deck sees a major hero change... Mirlonde out, Rossiel in. Slightly higher starting threat, but I couldn't resist trying out this new mechanic.

-1 Cram
-2 Secret Paths
-3 Daerons Runes
+3 Leave no Trace
+3 None Return
+1 Scout Ahead (side quest: Wastes of Eriador)

Obviously most changes reflect the change in hero. 3 copies each of None Return and Leave no Trace to allow us to fill up the victory display with cards that will trigger Rossiel's stat boosts. I'm loathe to take out Secret Paths because it has saved me in so many games, but deck space is so tight here, I may swap out another card instead after more play throughs.
Daerons Runes isn't so necessary as the Galadhrim Minstrel is a much more surgical form of card draw.

Nai tiruvantel ar varyuvantel i Valar tielyanna nu vilya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dava chido
Mauritius
msg tools
Looks like a fun deck. Though in your latest incarnation it has the victory display control, any reason you don't want keen as lances in the deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered it, but that would mean there would be a total of 10 cards devoted to Rossiel's ability. I didn't want to compromise the original concept behind it too much, which was to create a viable solo build with Silvans.

Mirlonde and Rossiel (unboosted) have almost the same stats, so this build still works even if you never see a single card in the victory display. On those occasions when you DO see Rossiel's stats boosted, it becomes more powerful.

Of course, this is just my preference and I would not advise anyone else against trying it - in fact I'd be very pleased to hear your own experiences

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty epic deck. I'm going to try it out soon when we get back from my trip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dava chido
Mauritius
msg tools
Gave it a few goes, I like it. Though I miss galadriel + spirit cards in my own solo silvan deck too much. I do want to try Rossiel in something else, she is quite fun. I hope the new cycle continues to bring more victory display goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.