Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have just bought Song of Blades and Heroes and one of the expansions, Song of Arthur and Merlin. It is a miniature game that works well with paper miniatures, such as those found on http://www.juniorgeneral.org/. Here is an example of such minis:

I would like to have you suggestions of other simple miniature gaming systems that work well with ~15-24mm paper miniatures. The games can be of any genre (fantasy, WWII, Ancients, SciFi...) I will compile a list below of those systems as they are suggested.

Thanks!

Suggested systems:

- Song of Blades and Heroes (fantasy) and expansions (many genres)
- Whack & Slaughter (fantasy)
- Chain Reaction 3.0 (guns)
- Chain Reaction 3.0: Swordplay (fantasy)
- System 7 Napoleonics (Napoleon)
- Warmaster (fantasy)
- Warmaster Ancients (ancients)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whack & Slaughter - a system that works with any kind of (fantasy) minis in any size. So: paper minis work as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Whack & Slaughter - a system that works with any kind of (fantasy) minis in any size. So: paper minis work as well!

I see Whack & Slaughter is your creation, nice! I just downloaded the living rulebook (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104376/whack-slaughte...) and will give it a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is

Since I lack any graphical skills, it is a lot of text, but worth it nonetheless

In case of questions - just ask

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Hour Wargames (THW Game Design) is another good manufactures of miniatures games. Like Song of Blades, their rules are designed to be figure independent. Their Chain Reaction 3.0 and Chain Reaction 3.0: Swordplay are free downloads, so you can check out their mechanics.

Their rules such as Rally Round the King and 5150 Battalion Commander are designed for larger actions where a stand represents a larger number of men (a fire team in Battalion Commander to several hundred men in RRtK). Junior General has some "top down" figures for these army rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Two Hour Wargames (THW Game Design) is another good manufactures of miniatures games. Like Song of Blades, their rules are designed to be figure independent. Their Chain Reaction 3.0 and Chain Reaction 3.0: Swordplay are free downloads, so you can check out their mechanics.

Their rules such as Rally Round the King and 5150 Battalion Commander are designed for larger actions where a stand represents a larger number of men (a fire team in Battalion Commander to several hundred men in RRtK). Junior General has some "top down" figures for these army rules.

Downloaded. Will read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
System 7 Napoleonics was (if I recall correctly) a re-write of the Fire & Steel Napoleonics rules. More importantly it was written to use little pieces of cardboard rather than (lead) miniatures, I think mostly as a cost-to-play reduction.

{edit} It might not qualify as "simple". {/edit}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmaster (Fantasy) or Warmaster Ancients.

The game uses blocks of figures on a 4cm x 2cm base.

When I wanted to try a new period (classical ancients: Egyptians, Hittites, etc.), instead of waiting until I'd painted several armies, I printed out some unit pictures and stuck them on to 4x2 blocks of 5mm foam card.

Worked fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Postmark wrote:
Warmaster (Fantasy) or Warmaster Ancients.

The game uses blocks of figures on a 4cm x 2cm base.

When I wanted to try a new period (classical ancients: Egyptians, Hittites, etc.), instead of waiting until I'd painted several armies, I printed out some unit pictures and stuck them on to 4x2 blocks of 5mm foam card.

Worked fine.

Certainly doesn't look "easy", but added

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.