Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Schlepper
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I am considering buying this game. I read that it can be played cooperativley the same way as solitaire. I really enjoy coop-games so I would like to know if anybody tried the coop mode and if it is any good.

I consider a coop game to be good if there is a high level of cooperation needed in order to have a chance of winning. I do not like coops where everybody plays solitaire more or less and then win or loose together (like D-Day Dice for example).

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Regards
Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
The co-op elements, like solitaire, demand that players:

d10-1Do not compete over hunting grounds.
d10-2Do not over-hunt, and so lose valuable hunting grounds.
d10-3Ensure the available resources are prioritised amongst the players most effectively, both in terms of who needs what and who has the best chance of acquiring the resources.
d10-4 Maximise trade by negotiation for mutual benefit.
d10-5 Ensure that marriages are beneficial to all three cultures.
d10-6 Do not outbid each other in the auction of trade goods.

What you lose from the competitive game, therefore, are:

X Raiding your opponents & hostile competition
X Claiming trophies for VPs
X Goods auctioning and the necessary tactics for managing ivory.

The solitaire and co-op game are effectively the same - unless you like arguing with yourself - and you can watch a demo in my new series here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/58039/greenland/box-delights-...

(And yes, it's really good solo !)

The only negative thing I can offer, is that the game doesn't really address the alpha-player problem... if your group suffers from it then I am guessing the co-op variant doesn't effectively manage it. You WILL need a lot of co-operation to succeed at this game co-operatively, so there will be a lot of talking about a game state that has no hidden information.

EDIT: this is most definitely NOT multi-player solitaire!!

Hope this helps... !

best wishes, Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schlepper
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response.

Sounds like I should try it out then.
Only have one person in my playgroup that might be an alpha player, so I guess I just do not invite him, when I try the game ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see much appeal in the coop game. I played a couple of rounds solo last night to get a feel for the gameplay and felt that the game really needed competition for scarce resources to make it fun.

To me, the threat from other players seems like such a huge element in the design that removing it also takes value from other game resources which are otherwise used for bidding, VPs, and negotiation - iron, ivory, war chief elders and daughters.

Another example: I understand how one player's decision to convert his people to monotheism as part of a strategy could potenially be a major blow to the other cultures' polytheistic aims at victory. Really unique! But practically irrelevant in coop.

I see the sheer brilliance of the thing and really look forward to playing competitively with others. (Also looking forward to further box of delight videos that might show me something I missed).

Disclosure - Coop games I've enjoyed recently include Freedom: the underground railroad and Pandemic: the cure. Also, I prefer the Pax Porfiriana solo variant to Greenland's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:

Another example: I understand how one player's decision to convert his people to monotheism as part of a strategy could potenially be a major blow to the other cultures' polytheistic aims at victory. Really unique! But practically irrelevant in coop.

yes, very good point. I mention this in the film... There's no value in monotheism for solo or co-op play, though of course it still has a function as it can be forced upon you !! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Aho
Finland
Kirkkonummi
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
noppagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that simply trying to survive together is not as exciting as trying to survive against a common enemy. Using a system I created with Frozen Valhalla, I plan to make a 2-player co-op variant where players (as Tunit and Thule) try to survive against an aggressive Norse, controlled by an AI. The plan is to make it so difficult that it's pretty much impossible to complete unless players work together. There are some more details behind the link I gave in case anyone is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fonzerelli wrote:
Hi there,

I am considering buying this game.

There are only about 40 left (out of 2,000 around ~October), so you should probably pick up a copy if you think you might want it.

If you don't like it, it will likely go up in price considering the price on the secondary market of High Frontier and Pax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.