Hammer of the Scots» Forums » Variants

Subject: Upping the Ante: Richard III styled combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin McKay
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried using Richard III styled combat in HoTS?

I feel as though this will create greater tension each battle - Nobles may swap mid battle more often!

For anyone who doesn't know the variant:
All combat hits are applied to the block with the highest pip-count at the time.

I.e. William has 4 pips, Douglas has 3. English unit scores 3 hits (lucky roll). Instead of reducing William to 3 and Douglas to 1, William would go to 1 and Douglas would remain at 3. The next English hit would apply to Douglas (he is strongest now).

An alternate example is William has 4 pips and Douglas has 4. Now if England scores 3 hits (lucky roll !!!), Douglas takes the full blunt and reduces to 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be a heavy impact against Wallace!
One lucky attack, and you finish him off directly - or reduce him down to 1 at least!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKay
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
....precisely devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is our usual play-mode. I think it makes combat more interesting; no-one is safe. I have noticed no particular bias (even though one would think this would be worse for the Scots, because they are so heavily dependent on Wallace).

Almecho wrote:
One lucky attack, and you finish him off directly - or reduce him down to 1 at least!

Yes, you have to bring meatshields if you don't want to risk that happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Karlsson wrote:
That is our usual play-mode. I think it makes combat more interesting; no-one is safe. I have noticed no particular bias (even though one would think this would be worse for the Scots, because they are so heavily dependent on Wallace).

Almecho wrote:

Yes, you have to bring meatshields if you don't want to risk that happening.

I don't know... your "meatshields" have to be 4 pip units... not so easy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
exorad wrote:
....precisely devil

why the need? there is already a LOT of tension if you play correctly, by doing this you will destroy the balance of the game, as early on in the first game the scots rely on wallace heavily.

if its not broken, don't fix it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKay
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that you can predict (with reasonable confidence) an expected number of hits you may receive each round of combat.

As such, whether to fight or flight is a more or less obvious choice (to a seasoned player).

To someone like myself, who prefers challenging risk calculations in their games - I feel the Richard III style combat 'muddies the water' in terms of predicting success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
exorad wrote:
I.e. William has 4 pips, Douglas has 3. English unit scores 3 hits (lucky roll). Instead of reducing William to 3 and Douglas to 1, William would go to 1 and Douglas would remain at 3. The next English hit would apply to Douglas (he is strongest now).

In the original ruleset, 3 hits vs Wallace at 4 and Douglas at 3 would reduce both blocks to 2 pips. To reduce William to 3 and Douglas to 1 as you describe would be a faulty play. Hits are applied one at a time, each time reducing the highest unit by one pip (choice in case of a tie).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hall
United States
Ft. Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't fool with it - combat is finely tuned and a thing of beauty as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.