United States
Waco
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

First, happy Thanksgiving!

Next, to my query. I am looking to get more deeply into board gaming. I first fell in love with board games with the Ravensburger game 'Eureka' when I was 8 or 9. My family only ever had that and Monopoly growing up. Let's not talk about the relationships that were strained over that game.

I was reintroduced to board games with Catan when I was in high school and fell back in love.

The crowd I was with in college wasn't much into the board game scene and I hadn't played enough or discovered this community to try to start a game group.

Anyways, now I live in the country and work at a camp. We have a good friend group and most of the guys enjoy playing board games.

So I'm looking for three types of recommendations. The first, a 2-5 (or 6) player that lasts 30-45 minutes. We play Ticket to Ride or 7 Wonders on our hour lunch break. The second, a larger game that would introduce the girls in our group to board games. I've heard Camel Up is good, haven't played it yet. Bang requires a bit too much buy-in from the girls. The third is for me and my roommates. 3 guys, sometimes a 4th. Two of them love board games. The third likes feeling like he's got a chance to win. They might also like one where we are a team against the game.

What do you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
roary11oreo wrote:
So I'm looking for three types of recommendations. The first, a 2-5 (or 6) player that lasts 30-45 minutes. We play Ticket to Ride or 7 Wonders on our hour lunch break. The second, a larger game that would introduce the girls in our group to board games. I've heard Camel Up is good, haven't played it yet. Bang requires a bit too much buy-in from the girls. The third is for me and my roommates. 3 guys, sometimes a 4th. Two of them love board games. The third likes feeling like he's got a chance to win. They might also like one where we are a team against the game.

What do you recommend?

1. I'd say Race for the Galaxy (with expansions for more players) or Dominion (with additional base cards or Dominion: Intrigue for more players). They are relatively quick-playing games (once learned) and have a lot of replay value.

(Edited because I hit submit too soon...)

2. Takenoko is the typical answer here, but make sure to ask them if they have any theme or gameplay preferences. I've had a lot of success introducing girls/women (or new players in general) to Dominion, so you could give that a shot. Biblios is another good one to try, or Hanabi.

3. Pandemic for a good cooperative game, or Forbidden Desert depending on your theme preference. Imperial Settlers is an excellent game in which people can select their favorite factions, and they all play differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. I think Tsuro could work for all three. It is not a coop, but is a fun light game. maybe King of Tokyo
2. Sushi Go!, Smash Up
3.Freedom: The Underground Railroad, Spurs: A Tale in the Old West, The Captain Is Dead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion or Pandemic definitely.

If you're looking for a co-op, I'd highly recommend The Captain Is Dead - very thematic, easy to learn and lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rothstein
msg tools
mbmb
For the roommates co-op, Dead Of Winter sounds like it would work. It plays up to 5, it is co-op and it has theme. While there are better co-op games, those don't usually take just four. Although if you could get a fifth go for Battlestar Galactica.

For the girls, have you tried RA? It plays up to 5, it isn't really conflict oriented, and you basically are bidding to make set collections of tiles. Also, a forgotten but fun game is Hoity Toity.

A 45 minute game? I have to agree on Imperial Settlers although that is cutting it close on time. People love Splendor, which I think is a little faster. 45 minutes Hanabi is a great and safe bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Splendor the other day -- it only plays up to 4 (we tried to break it playing 5 and it slowed things down, but it pretty much worked). We had a blast. So +1 to that. I think that females might also really like this game. Another gentle competitive game that might work for various audiences is The Castles of Burgundy - great game.

I've been making this recommend a lot, but I really love Tiny Epic Kingdoms; plays quickly, some great strategy but easy to learn, and variable powers.

For your gaming group, think about Among the Stars, and especially since you are all guys, really give some thought to Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game; it is a blast, but don't take it too seriously. The Foul Play expansion adds a 5th player if you need it. If you want a longer, fun and challenging co-op game go back to Reiner Knizia's Lord of the Rings. The art is beautiful, it is very thematic, and you must all work together or Sauron will eat you alive.

EDIT: another recommendation: take a look at Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.