Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I bought this game, but having read the instructions, I understood everything but the tunnel system. I have only ever played this and the original TTR which didnt have Tunnels.

If I read the instructions correctly, say I have 6 black cards, and the tunnel needs 6 black cards. I use them, then take from the draw pile three cards. If any of them are black then I claim the tunnel?

Sorry I know I may seem dumb here, and I am not afraid to admit it, but I am lost on this. If what I said was true above, I admit I dont like that system, since it seems almost every time we tried it that way, we didnt get the color we needed and never claimed the tunnels.

Outside of that, I still love this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tunnel is like a possible 'tax'. The idea is that you don't know how long the tunnel is so you don't know how many cards you need.

If it's a six-black route that's a tunnel, you need at LEAST six black cards. You show those and announce that you are attempting to claim the route.

Then you reveal (to everyone) three cards. If any are black (or wild!), you must ADD that many black (or wild!) cards to your six. So if you reveal black, wild, green, for example, you now must pay eight cards.

Don't forget that a rule unique to this map is that wild cards can only be used on Ferries and Tunnels (that's not how it is in TTR Europe - wilds can be used anywhere).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Derek,

Thanks so much for your help! I guess my only other question to that is, what is I have the 6 black cards, and declare I want to take the tunnel and I pull, say 2 reds and a green? Would I be able to claim it with just the six black?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mez2112 wrote:
I guess my only other question to that is, what is I have the 6 black cards, and declare I want to take the tunnel and I pull, say 2 reds and a green? Would I be able to claim it with just the six black?

Indeed you would!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other rule that sometimes trips people up. It doesn't matter whether you're going for a 6 length tunnel or a 1 length tunnel, you always draw 3 cards for the "tax" as Derek called it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mez2112 wrote:
... since it seems almost every time we tried it that way, we didnt get the color we needed and never claimed the tunnels.
You mis-interpreted matching as being a requirement when the rest of us are always hopeful for never matching.

When attempting to claim a Tunnel route, a player first lays down the number of cards required. Then the 3 top cards from the Train Car card draw pile are turned face-up. For each card revealed whose color matches the color used to claim the Tunnel (including locomotives), an additional card of the same color (or a locomotive) must be played to successfully claim the Tunnel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
The tunnel is like a possible 'tax'. The idea is that you don't know how long the tunnel is so you don't know how many cards you need.
Thematically I tend to imagine it more as a cost overrun, to pay for unexpected engineering issues.

What makes a tunnel special is that a player is never quite certain just how long the route he is trying to claim will be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just to emphasize this again:

I think you're understanding the "matching" rule backwards. In order to claim the route, you do not need to "match" colors in those 3 cards which you draw.

In order to claim a 6 black tunnel route, you need 6 black cards. Then, you draw 3 cards, which might force you to pay extra cards. If you draw no black cards, then you pay nothing extra, and you immediately claim the route as usual. If you do draw black cards (or locomotives), then you must pay extra black cards (or locomotives) before you are allowed to claim the route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me mention a subtlety that people also miss: If the original set of cards played is all locomotives, only locomotives turned up in the three extra cards cause additional cards to be required, and the additional cards in that case would also have to be locomotives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow!!! Thanks everyone! You all have helped very much and I think the next time I play it will be more fun knowing what needs to be done! Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.