Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Hoel
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As instructed by Andrei we are making the play testing feedback public to encourage discussion!

Play test sessions and discussion will follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoel
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Test Session
Number of times played expansion: 1
Time: 2 hours (did not complete game)
Players: 4 (Myself, Jazz8, Cherubim1979, Gamedave)

We just got our hands on a print and play version of the expansion and wanted to play as soon as possible which happened to be pretty late and we were unable to do more than a single round. This was good though because we were able to read all the new rules and got us far enough to run into some questions. Because of this I have very little comments about balance theme and how I liked it. I want to reserve that for after having played more.

The others from this game may also be commenting later.

General
1)
Rule: “The turn order order cards are not longer assigned from highest to lowest bidder. Instead, the highest bidder chooses his turn order card, followed by the next players in order (Corrupt politics applies)”

Question: I believe we interpreted this incorrectly at first. We thought the highest bidder is allowed to pick his card and then the rest of the players choose their cards based on the previous turn order. Now that I am asking this, I believe I know what it should say. Would I be correct if I suggested the second sentence be rewritten as “Instead, the highest bidder chooses his turn order card, followed by the next highest bidder until each player has chosen their order card. (Corrupt politics applies)”
Something like this would clear up the misunderstanding we had while reading it. The emphasis should be on the change which is that before the bidders were assigned the cards but now the bidders choose their cards from highest to lowest bidder.

2) Combat Cards: Can they be used against the resistance?

Sirius Theocracy
1) Comment: I love the political theme. Since this game has been compared to Twilight Imperium 3rd ed. before, I will say I liked the idea of a political victory in TI3 but it was difficult to stay on that road. This faction seems like they have the tools they need to actually achieve a pretty solid political first victory.

2) Comment: They are called a Theocracy and technically that is correct because the leader of their faction is their deity. However I think it would help reinforce the theme if their technologies had religious underpinnings as well. Maybe you are trying to keep the technologies generic so other new factions can one day use them. But for instance the cloning facility could be called the Temple of Fertility (or something else haha).

Arctic Dominion
1) Expert Banking: Does this make Advanced Banking obsolete? I get that you can leave your cube because they it still gives a discount for that row and that symbol, but it should mention that it actually makes advanced banking obsolete if it does.
If it does not and both work together then how do the 2 work together? Do you get 5x money or 2x3x (6x) money?

2) Escape Pods: Are they affected by landing procedures like other population? Or do they simply just get put straight onto the planet? (those would be some seriously effective escape pods).

Blackwater
1) EMP Cannon: I love the concept. Does a single EMP cannon on a single ship cause 1 damage (2 if they have EMG or MPG shields) to EVERY enemy (it does sound like that). If so, then if I have 4 EMP cannons (4 ships, each with an EMP cannon), I do at least 4 damage to every enemy ship? I have no comments on the balance of this, it just seems insane. Maybe it is balanced, unfortunately none of us used Blackwater this game.

Action Cards
1) This was our biggest confusion and had a lot of questions about it.
Rule: Action Cards: “use new action cards which are faction specific (detailed on the player aids for each faction)”

Question: Nothing talks about what is meant by “Discard After Use” action cards. We assumed these are action cards that can be used only once and then removed from the game. This should be mentioned in the rules outline.

Question: There are white arrows and blue arrows on the bottom of the Action cards. Do the blue arrows mean something?

Question: Some of the action cards seem like they apply only to the person who plays them and that no one else can play the reaction, unlike regular action cards where anyone can choose to play your reaction (at a higher population price). For instance:

Sirius Theocracy > Action Card #6: Primary action says “Skip your action”, Reaction says “Build 2 ships for free”.
If other factions can play this reaction as well then this is probably a very bad card to play. You have to lose your primary action and then everyone has the possibility of gaining your reaction.
Sirius Theocracy > Action Card #9: Reaction says “React on any Action card, used or not. Use no population.” So you use no population to use your own reaction is this case, but can others use 1 population to then react to another card?

There are a few others like this and it’s probably not a coincidence that they all have blue arrows (instead of white ones). I suspect that blue arrow cards only allow your faction to use the reaction.

2) Sirius Theocracy #3: “1 / 2 SDS for free if bought +1 alone”
Does this mean if during this action ALL you buy is 1 or 2 SDS you get them for free? Meaning if you buy 1 or 2 SDS plus a ship you no longer get them for free? I think this rule should say “or” instead of the ‘/’, the ‘/’ is ambiguous.

3) Sirius Theocracy #9: “React on any Action card, used or not. Use no population.”
Can you react to cards not currently in play? Can you react to other factions cards not currently in play? Can you react to discard after use cards not in play? Can you react to cards already used in the previous action round?

4) Blackwater #9: When a card has two symbols I assume you get to do both (because one cards has the same symbol twice)

Looking forward to a full game next time!
- Nathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Schoening
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got answers to a couple of your questions the other day from Andrei:

The "discard after use" cards are removed from the game when used.

The white and blue arrows have no game effect right now. They will be used in the future.

Still waiting to play the expansion. I have it all printed out, hopefully this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. Very good suggestions and questions - some of them are so obvious in writing that we totally overlooked putting them in the written rules and our previous play testing sessions were mostly based on "spoken" rules

The answers to your questions below:

General
1) We will rephrase so that it's obvious that player get to choose their turn order card according to their bids.

2) Yes.

Arctic Dominion

1) Expert Banking/Mining replaces Advanced Banking/Mining. It gets to 3x instead of 2x.

2) Escape Pods are affected by landing procedures, since its rules are the same as deploying. If they fail to land, the population is destroyed.

Blackwater

The description and interpretation of the EMP Cannons is correct. They are indeed very powerful. However, other factions proved to have good tools against Blackwater.

Action Cards

1) It's correct, any "dicard after use" card will be removed from the game after its first use. Please ignore the arrows, they belong to an expansion to the expansion which will not see the light. All reaction follow the base game rules, any player may play them. In the case you mentioned, you want to be the Chancellor when playing the "build two ships for free" reaction.

2) That is correct, we'll make it less ambiguous.

3) You can only reach to cards in play (played in that specific action round). But you have the advantage of choosing a card on which someone else had already reacted and of not using any population.

4) That is correct.

Looking forward to more questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoel
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We completely missed the FAQ about only one person being able to react to a card. Your answers to the action cards immediately made me believe that we missed something.

We are just about to play again. I will try to convince Jazz to comment here as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A.
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ketch wrote:
I will try to convince Jazz to comment here as well.

...of course; I was just waiting until our second game as you covered all our questions from the first ;P

Blackwater Question
We played a game last night, and it was great (so fun it kept us up until 3 this morning). The 3 factions we used seemed well balanced, and I had a chance to try Blackwater and came up with the following questions:

Q1. Blackwater special ability states "after each combat in which you are involved, take one use combat card into your hand."
Was this suposed to read "take one used combat card", or just take a combat card?

Q2. Does a T-Module transport only one population? The picture shows two, but nothing is stated as to the amount.

We had a number of other questions that Ketch (our spokesperson) will likely post soon. Overall I felt Blackwater was well rounded, and for our first full game, it seemed well balanced. While some of the abilities looked overpowering, they seemed to even out at the end. Looking forward to more plays

EDIT: It was only our first time playing with some of the factions, but as we get more familiar with them we'll obviously have a better critique of their strengths and weaknesses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoel
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Test Session
Number of times played expansion: 2
Time: 4.5 hours
Players: 3 (Myself, Jazz8, Gamedave)

Results:
1st: Sirius Theocracy
2nd: Han-Xia Dynasty
3rd: Blackwater

Took so long because we had some lengthy debates about some of the rules. Also some of us are... slow
We even used a quick start option (wow we were slow!)

Rules Questions:
1) Discard After Use action cards: Do you discard after they are played, or only after someone uses the reaction?
(We actually figured this out because of Titan's #9 card. It has no reaction and discard after use, so it must be discarded regardless of if the reaction is used or not, but it should be in the rules as not everyone may figure that out)

2) Scientific Pursuit Politics Card: Says all technologies are 1/2 their nominal cost. Ignore all bonuses.
Does this mean ignore action card bonuses as well? When this politics card was printed action cards didn't have bonuses.

3) Sirius Theocracy Card #9: If I use the "React on any card used or not" and I am the first to react to someone else's card, can they also react to their card since I put no population cube on their card?

4) Also, when it says "use no population cubes", do I still have to use population cubes to react to MY card (Sirius Theocracy)? (but not the other card that I select using it)

5) Is there a maximum number of combat cards anyone can have?

6a) Some combat cards say "Any combat round". Does this mean you can use it ALL combat rounds, or just any 1 round you want?

6b) If you decide which round, then some cards say things like "Use any 1s you rolled to subtract 1 from an enemies die". Can I decide to use this after I roll the dice for that combat round because I rolled a lot of 1s?

7) EMP mentions EMG shields, but it says "E.Magnetic Shield" on the tech. It seems obvious to me but some other people in the group didn't make that connection right away. Maybe worth spelling exactly the same way.

Game Comments
Of course I understand after playing only twice so far I have very little credibility when it comes to commenting on balance, but I will make what limited observations I can and you can take it with a grain of salt.

I am just going to continue the numbering from the previous section to make replies a lot easier.

8) I am glad that my initial impression seemed somewhat justified that politics (Sirius Theocracy) could win the game. It really did control it but you have to invest HEAVILY into CP. If there was more players it would have been a lot harder to control too (trying to constantly win Chancellor and all Laws)

9) While Fringe politics (Sirius Theocracy) can give a lot of VPs Visionary Politics was extremely strong too especially for the 4th most expensive tech for that column. The other factions have really good lower tier ones too but most of them are 2nd or 3rd at least but even then everyone wanted to get me because of Visionary Politics.

10) Clone factories because you have to pay to place them seemed to have a huge cost to them and I was getting enough cubes down anyway. It was tough to exploit clone factories and Sirius Theocracies special ability together.

11) Having said #9 and #10, I feel like those two could be switched on the tech track in cost. Visionary politics has a huge passive effect on the game that no one can stop or counter in any way. While clone factories were expensive to get going and on top of that could be taken over if someone else overran the planet. Again I could be being very naive having only played twice.

12) I never wanted to build SDS because you can only research so many things before running out of cubes too quickly... and it seemed better to just pour more resources into more flexible things like moving my fleet around (engines) and civilian ships so if people died I could just repopulate wherever I wanted by transporting them. Also with the only 50% chance to stop the rocket I could invest in them and STILL fail.

I understand that is is not a lot to research but using the action and cube from my supply to research and then another action to build SDS were the things I didn't think were worth it.

Maybe I will move towards it in the future if we had more WMDs but transportation techs seemed more valuable/effective overall.

Also maybe if someone had tried to kill all the population with tons of WMDs in the very last round that might have sucked and made SDS better?

13) So Visionary Politics + Fringe Politics allowed me to get quite a few laws down. Just by odds and visionary politics, you should be able to get a law down every other turn from visionary politics alone.

That being said, Titan Diarchy's top tier tech Fringe Science seems to be a lot worse. Cube supply is the biggest concern there. Every faction I play I start running out of cubes pretty fast. Titan will likely research more techs than anyone else however because this gives everyone VPs for techs then they really are only gaining VPs relative to how much more they spend. The way our group plays in order to get 6, 9 or 12 points (similar to Fringe politics) they would have to use virtually every cube they have. I realize I was using 2 techs in conjunction to get 6, 9 or 12 VPs with Sirius Theocracy, but Titan would also likely use 2 techs in conjunction to get the most techs (Master Research).

Only 1 point per cube seems really low when they could be putting them on planets and getting around 2-4 (most often 2 VP/cube when you have to have more than 1 cube on the planet to get VPs).

14) That sort of convinced me more that even in the original I thought there were not many cubes. Oh and you may want to specify how many cubes are in the supply (maybe I missed it) because how many cubes have to be set aside for VP counting on the top track? Some people got no points for space battles and therefore had more cubes in their supply all game because they weren't tracking points with them.

Overall
I had a lot of fun and the game felt new again with different strategies. I love the tradeoffs that you have to make in this game. I love how you can have a huge army or none and still cause problems. The factions added diversity of play (all 3 of us did something a lot different).

I think important to note, it felt like the best way to the play the game too. I wouldn't go back to the original after this. (That should be pretty validating haha)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazz8 wrote:
Ketch wrote:
I will try to convince Jazz to comment here as well.

...of course; I was just waiting until our second game as you covered all our questions from the first ;P

Blackwater Question
We played a game last night, and it was great (so fun it kept us up until 3 this morning). The 3 factions we used seemed well balanced, and I had a chance to try Blackwater and came up with the following questions:

Q1. Blackwater special ability states "after each combat in which you are involved, take one use combat card into your hand."
Was this suposed to read "take one used combat card", or just take a combat card?

Q2. Does a T-Module transport only one population? The picture shows two, but nothing is stated as to the amount.

We had a number of other questions that Ketch (our spokesperson) will likely post soon. Overall I felt Blackwater was well rounded, and for our first full game, it seemed well balanced. While some of the abilities looked overpowering, they seemed to even out at the end. Looking forward to more plays

EDIT: It was only our first time playing with some of the factions, but as we get more familiar with them we'll obviously have a better critique of their strengths and weaknesses.

Q1 - Blackwater can take back in their hand a combat card used any time during a combat they were part of, no matter who played that combat card.

Q2 - Any T-Module transports 2 Population.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here are the answers to the questions from Nathan's second play test:

1. Any card with "discard after use" is removed from the game as soon as it was used to its fullest extent, so after the Reaction. No in game abilities can bring such a card back in the game.

2. Yes, it also ignores card bonuses.

3. Yes, that is the purpose of not putting population. It's a special kind of reaction and we will explain it better to avoid confusion.

4. Even if you react on your own card, you would not use population cubes - I am assuming we're still in the case from question 3

5. The hand size of combat cards is 6. As soon as you have more than 6 cards in your hand, you must discard down to 6.

6. Every combat card affects only the current combat round. At the end of the round, they're placed in their discard pile. There is a specific order in which the combat takes place and playing combat cards happens always before rolling dice.

7. Thanks, that is a absolutely true.

8. That's what we aimed for, however Sirius is also the most difficult faction to play (at least that is what our early play-tests showed).

9. This is done on purpose - access to a strong tech with less VP. Thanks for noticing and I promise we'll look again into the power of these technologies

10. Again, very astute remark. This is how the game is intended, you won't be able to exploit all the powers of a faction in every game (thus replay value) - at least that is the intent.

11. Not naive at all and we will definitely look into this

12. I completely get the point. SDS and ASDS are thought as a safety valve. We've seen and heard of games in which 20+ WMD were present on the board and SDS is quite an item in such a case . In a regular game with a few WMD scattered across the board, there are far less reasosns to research and place SDS.

13. Sirius is indeed slightly more powerful than Titan. The reason behind this is that Sirius is hard to play and especially to plan and execute a long term strategy. There are many things which can go sideways and other players can interfere with the strategy of Sirius. On the other hand, playing Titan Diarchy is quite simple and there are very few things anyone can do to hinder the development of this faction. Placing cubes on techs is less valuable than placing them on planets indeed, but also much safer. Also, keep in mind that as soon as Titan has learned all the tech in one color, their cubes are returned to their supply (special ability).

14. Good point. We will specify the use of cubes in details.

Thank you very much for your feedback, very good questions and very valuable opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoel
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this! Clear answers and I understand much better in some cases as well.

As far as #13 goes, I absolutely get that now actually about the relative safety of researching technologies vs. having to control planets to complete your victory. Also I must admit I glossed over their special and returning their cubes after completing a column makes that MUCH more in line. In fact that seems like it would be a lot of fun to exploit and see how many techs you could learn haha.

For question 4 I must dig a little deeper!
4. Yes, sorry the context is still the same as question #3.
If you are Sirius reacting to this card you place zero population cubes for reacting all together?
That suggests to me since there are now no cubes placed by sirius on this reaction that now anyone could use the "free react to any other reaction" as well. Or is there some special rule with this card that prevents others from reacting to it after the first person reacts to it?

We plan to play again tomorrow (Monday) and I am sure we will have some more comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have also prepared a feedback form.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vkhqMyhizGnc8Aq6ZQniFUQa3__...

If it's not too much trouble, please take a few minutes to go through it, this would be a lot of help for us. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoel
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more questions on top of my last message.

1) Did your survey. It asked a question about movement. It made me wonder if we were missing something. It seemed like movement is effectively the same but just makes you move them one at a time?

2) You mentioned that there is a specific order to combat when replying about combat cards. We understood the rules to mean that you can lay only 1 combat card during the entire combat and that you laid it down before the combat started.

From your answer to #6, I wonder are you saying that you can lay down 1 card before any combat round (of course as long as you have a card can legally be played that round)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The movement principle is the same, but it no longer uses the infamous tokens, so it's no longer simultaneous.

2) During combat, you get to play 1 combat card each combat round. Some cards are useful in nay round of combat, others - more powerful - can only be use in the first round of a combat. In any case, all of them have effects for exactly one combat round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoel
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Test Session
Number of times played expansion: 3
Time: 4 hours
Players: 3 (Myself, Jazz8, Gamedave)

Results:
1st: Titan Diarchy (78)
2nd: Han-Xia Dynasty (61)
3rd: Confederation of Sol (53)

I am going to just conclude that we are slow (4 hours again using a 'quick' game setup with 5 rounds).

Rules Questions:
Getting to some nitty gritty rule confirmations here...

1) Confederation of Sol Action Cards: Most factions have 3 discard after use action cards, always numbered 7, 8, 9. Sol has a 4th, is that intended? (I actually noticed another one had 4 discard ones as well)

2) Titan Diarchy Tech: Two of their techs say to "copy" a tech from another player. I suggest using the word "learn" in there. This would mimic the wording from resistance cards that say "Learn" when you get to keep a technology. "Copy" confused us for a bit. So, the one tech could say: "Once per turn, during combat against another player, you may learn
one technology from that player..."

3) Combat Card: "Become first in the turn order for the duration of this combat round. You may immediately play another combat card"
We don't know what it means to become first in the turn order for the duration of this combat round? When is that useful?

4) Han'Xia Dynasty Action Card #5: The reaction says "You may not perform any reaction". This is different from the cards that just say "No reaction" so we know that it isn't trying to say that there is no reaction on this card, it is telling the person that plays the primary action that they are not allowed to perform a reaction. I think to be more clear that this text should be in the top portion of the card because it goes hand in hand with playing the primary action. In fact, other positive and negative modifiers to an action are listed in the top half in all other cases.

5) Confederation of Sol Tech: During a conquest phase can a player with commando pickup their population from a planet and then not move and then deploy it again on the same planet to attempt to kill people on it? We played this way and it did require a lot of tech to make it work well and in the end no one thought it was over powered.

6) Can Titan Diarchy copy/learn other faction's technologies?

Game Recap
I will reference this game recap during my comments about balance in the next section.

Confederation of Sol:
They utilized their WMD techs from turn 1 building more WMDs each turn. They focused entirely on killing population so that the planets were left intact for them to take over. Around turn 3 they coupled advanced cloaking with commandos and civilian ships (for mobility) to start killing off population on planets with SDS and take over the planets that were empty because of WMDs.
Payed a lot of attention to not buying techs so as to have as many population cubes as possible on the board. Last turn they bought ships and spread out to try to take some space control points.

Confederation of Sol ended up with 10 of 15 planets (worth points) under their control and 4 space tiles under their control.

Ended with Chancellor title.

Titan Diarchy:
Went full tech route. They focused on getting techs at the bottom of the tech trees where discounts made them almost free and moved up keeping almost all purchases as cheap as possible.
They outfitted some dark raiders and sent them on suicide missions just to copy technologies from other factions and failed to do this almost the entire game.
Titan diarchy did build a few SDS to discourage WMD attacks. They still ended up with only between 2 and 3 planets on average. By the end of the game they controlled 2 space zones and 1 planet.

Ended with 3rd place title.

Han'Xia:
Went pseudo space route. They were targetted a bit more by WMDs than Titan Diarchy possibly because they were the biggest threat to being able to take over the worlds Sol had WMDs placed on.

They focused on killing resistance quickly with their ability to sacrifice Dark Raiders. They won 14 points in resistance points but also used 2 of them worth between 5-6 points to instead take WMDs to combat Sol. So they had a total of about 19-20 points in resistance kills.

Their strategy to get points through space struggled a lot because Sol was cloaked the entire time that they were within reach and Titan only sent out Dark Raiders with the purpose to copy technologies.

They ended the game with control of 1 planet and 2 space tiles (including the centre)

Game Comments
I can clearly see I was definitely naive last time I commented (as I suspected). Also these paragraphs are pretty arbitrarily numbered... I just put a new number when my thoughts changed a bit to help with referencing paragraphs in replies.

7) We discussed Titan Diarchy's power and how it was easier and I THOUGHT that they could barely get more tech than someone else making it difficult to score as many points as Sirius and their top techs for example. This game made Titan seem like the best faction. They won handily with a 17 point lead and this was after Sol had kept every player to only a meagre 1 or 2 producing worlds the entire game. Resources were never a problem because of discounts and once they got going almost every tech was close to free. Two things I missed when I made my previous comments were that they get all their cubes back when they complete a column (you pointed that out) and 2, their tech "Technology Singularity" is just free points on top of "Fringe Science". In total they score 61 of their 78 points from those two technologies alone with almost no planetary income. I mention the planetary income because there was little other way to interact with this player in order to stop them.

8) Sol played probably out one of the best scenarios for them. They managed to own 2/3 of all planets keeping the other players to less than a 1/3 themselves. Their WMDs hit and got almost perfect rolls at the end of the game (3 consecutive planets they rolled just enough hits to destroy all enemy population and not have to target their own population cubes). Not sure how much better the WMD/commando approach could have been and they were a far cry from first (even though they hurt first as much as possible).

9) Han'Xia may have been able to squeeze out some more points had the setup not been so bad for them. If another faction had put out some ships they may have been able to get more points from ship kills. If they had focused on one road to victory and not dabled in WMDs (losing the 5-6 points from resistance cards in the process) they could have been closer to 1st.

10) Titan's VP techs were ("Fringe Science" and "Technology Singularity") very similar in effect as well. In both you acquire tech and just get more VPs. Some of the other Factions we have tried have complimentary technologies that require you to do similar things to get VPs, but they do not reward you for doing exactly one thing (acquiring technology in this case). Fringe Science was actually more balanced because it gives everyone points. They scored 31 points but the other two players scored 13 and 15 points. That's respectable and around the number of points Fringe Politics for Sirius scored. However Technology Singularity scored him 30 points (300 CP exactly in nominal cost). Another thing to keep in mind was this was a 5 round game and he only had 4 technologies left to research.
I noticed that Technology Singularity awarded almost the same amount of points as Fringe Science (although technically twice as many because Fringe Science awarded the other players points) and regardless of how many technologies you research this may always be the case (the 1:1 score) because the average cost of technologies is pretty close to 10cp meaning that on average Tech Singularity will score as many points as Fringe Science even though it costs less.
Maybe some way different kind of technology is needed here? Titan does have a lot of techs that all go for one strategy... maybe they could gain some other neat tech that can help but not directly.

11) We intend to have someone else play Titan Diarchy next time and see if they can repeat the victory even with everyone knowing what they are trying to do. I suspect though that no one will be able to stop them because how much worse could they be hit than only owning 1-2 planets throughout the entire game?

12) Another comment given to me from our group was that possibly Titan Diarchy's strategy worked out better than maybe other play tests may have shown was because Sol killed all his population. Leaving him a lot of cubes for tech. This allowed him to buy cheap techs that were free across more columns before running out of cubes. Otherwise Titan would have had to finish a column earlier (paying more for the top teir techs) and would have run out of money preventing him from completing so many techs.

That may be a reason why - but would be easily repeatable even without Sol or someone nuking them if they just limited the number of their cubes on planets through using them for reactions/getting them killed etc.

13) This entry is a lot more raw (didn't read over it much). If you have never seen this happen yet, then maybe wait until we play our next game before you take it seriously or not.

One good thing I took away from this was that regardless of the fact that Sol nuked everyone and killed all their cubes there were other ways to win (just at some point it should have SOME effect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan, thank you for your thorough feedback, it is very helpful.

First, to answer your questions:
1) Yes, that was intended
3) Useful in multi player combat, when hits are assigned in reverse turn order.
4) The Action cards need rewording, the effect is supposed to be the same.
5) Yes, absolutely, it's part of the strategy
6) Only those technologies which are listed on the player board.

I have to ask one thing, how did you manage to learn so many technologies with Titan? I am very curious because the best I have seen so far is 5 techs/turn in average - 2 research actions x 2 techs each (assuming Expert Research from turn 1) + 1 research reaction every second turn (the Bonus action is almost never Research when Titan goes full tech).

Thank you,

Andrei

/back to digesting feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoel
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonus action was tech first round when it was beneficial to others.
Titan also learned some techs off of players through combat. They did not research all the techs they knew they could get from the other players under 11CP to make sure they had something to copy.
Also with fast start we all start with 5 techs worth 19CP all must be less than 11CP nominal cost.

Starting with 5 techs means that it's pretty much spot on with what you mentioned (learned 26 techs in 5 rounds). However in a longer game (9 rounds) they should easily be able to research all techs needing only an average of 4 techs per round (2 research actions with Master Research) and throw in a dash of copying techs.

Other amazing side effects of this strategy is this player seems to have every tech at their finger tips for any other side goals they may want to perform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave McWalter
msg tools
Regarding the high Titan tech count, it seems so obvious that now you have me wondering if I missed some rule, but getting master politics early allows 3 research actions x 2 techs per turn. (I only remember 1 opportunity to copy a low cost tech the way this game played out, it was basically constant research with any other actions taken as reactions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To play 3x Research per turn with 2 techs/research you need both Master Politics and Expert Research (which in turn "cost" 2 research actions). This is why I was estimating an average of 5 techs / turn for Titan with the mechanism planned ahead so there is no resource shortage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Carluccio
Italy
Bologna
flag msg tools
The Expansion is very good for my testing group ad fit the goal... some little refined for the balance and it will be perfect.
Personally, I do not like combat cards because they added randomness in a tactical gameplay, but better have that not. Even I can added them for another group of play, so...

What I would like is something that would increase the interaction between the players, like mission cards, pillagers or something like this.
It assume a lot of sense, mostly to avoid a multi-solitare game and for big maps.

Another think that I would see in future expansion are upgrades for ships and more structures on planets.

Anyway, thanks a lot for supporting the game and the players, you made a great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano, thank you for your feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Carluccio
Italy
Bologna
flag msg tools
Thanks to you Andrei!
...and do not forget team play rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.