Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Ace Detective is a story telling game from one of my favorite designers. While I've admitted it a few times in the past, story telling games are not my favorite mostly due to the fact they are heavy on story but light on game. We find the same thing here.

The theme of AD drew me in and really made me want to play the game and appreciate the world it created. I so wish there had been a game attached to it.

The manual tells you the game requires full honesty from all players, but when you are judging something for the value of it and it is required for winning and losing, I am just not sure this is possible.

The game mechanics are rather simple and obvious. The choices in the game are rather obvious. The story telling is required to carry too much of the game. In the end, you are sitting around telling stories with your friends, but not really playing a game. Why not just tell stories and save the cost of the game?

Purge.

Components:

The components and art are actually top notch. The tiles are thick enough and the cards are of good quality. I love the art for the game and it might be some of the best I've ever seen or at least some of my favorite. The complaints I have about the game are not about the components.

Rule Book:

The rules are very long for what they need to be. There are two games included in the box, but not really. It plays more like a variant. The rules are printed in full color and has plenty of examples. The rules actually do a fantastic job of explaining nearly everything possible.

Flow of the Game:

I'll do my best to explain the flow of this game.

1. Play Cards - This is where the players will build off of the Story Chain. You add 1-2 story/clue cards. As you add story cards, the icons on the card must match the icons of the previous cards to create a chain of icons. As the cards are played to the table, the person tells part of the story based on the card played. If a clue card is placed, a die is rolled to determine its location.

2. Check for victory - This amounts to a number of clue tokens on a suspect equal to the clue track. Thus, clue tokens become the most important part of the game.

3. Interlude - Each player has a number of plot points they use to purchase things such as cards. A chart is provided so players can see the cost.

4. Mystery solved - The player with the most colored clue tokens on the guilty suspect wins the game (so this is all that matters!). This winning player then finishes the story as he sees fit.

The variant is to rate the player playing a card on his story he is progressing. Everyone turns over a card and plot points are given out based on these scores. I would recommend not playing with this rule.

This game is 99% about telling the story and 1% about playing a game.

Should I buy this game?:

No. This is an example of a story game with little game. It isn't as bad as Winter Tales, but there isn't a ton here. If you love story telling games, then this is a very interesting world. Just beware. Play before you buy.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
While I've admitted it a few times in the past, story telling games are not my favorite mostly due to the fact they are heavy on story but light on game. We find the same thing here.

As a big fan of storytelling games and part of a gaming group that loves them, I can tell you we wouldn't want it any other way. They should be an engine with just enough game mechanisms to spark your imagination and push the story along. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing. Almost any other game out there already does what you're looking for. Pick a game you currently enjoy and add just enough story details to get to your perfect balance of game and storytelling.

This game and others like it do just what us storytelling fans want them to and don't expect them to be something they're not. That's what the other games in our collection are for. Excellent design, Richard Launius!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Potomac
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of any game that makes me think which includes the creativity that Ace Detective requires. This game is a staple for my friends with children who love story telling.

Sorry Purge, I disagree. This game is excellent and a ton of fun especially with the right people.

It gets a lot of play.

Phillip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

That's exactly why Ace Detective is a such a damn fine story-telling game about heaters, dames and shady characters in the 1940s.

If you don't like story-telling games because they're light on game and strong on story, why'd you ever want to try a game that's advertised and described by many of us as an example of a really narrative story-telling game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
william4192 wrote:

That's exactly why Ace Detective is a such a damn fine story-telling game about heaters, dames and shady characters in the 1940s.

If you don't like story-telling games because they're light on game and strong on story, why'd you ever want to try a game that's advertised and described by many of us as an example of a really narrative story-telling game?

I always wonder why a game can't be story driven and have a game. Maybe its impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.