Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

I've played a few trick taking games, but I didn't grow up playing trick taking games. My point is I don't have a fondness for this game mechanic that many seem to have. They are okay card games to me but from my understanding they are all about the twist that sets each one apart.

This one is rather complicated compared to most I have played and has a fairly obvious catch up mechanic. Some of the cards may be over powered, but that would require someone to determine that who has played it more than me. The components are nice and some neat items are included.

At the end of the day, this is a trick taking game.

Purge.

Components:

The components are pretty neat. You some cards which have interesting art on them, but the real delight is the rest of the markers. The tokens are little wooden markers shaped like trees, hammers, trees, etc. These are very nice for a little trick taking game.

Rule Book:

The rule book is pretty good and includes an overview on the back page. I think a player aid for the other players would have been helpful. If you have played trick taking games before, then you can likely read the rules as you sit down to play.

Flow of the Game:

For people who play trick taking games, a lot of this will be obvious.

1. Prepare for raid - For 1 wealth, you can trade in 2 cards for different cards.

2. Go Viking - Raid leader plays a card thus setting the trump. Other players must play the same type of plunder if possible; if not, they play whatever card they choose. Highest trump card wins and collects wealth token that matches the trump.

3. God in play - You play this card with a normal plunder card. One God per trick. This God card will give you a power. These are very powerful.

4. Build a Viking ship - If you have collected the correct combination of wealth tokens, you build a ship (one per trick).

5. Jarl - The richest person (player who is winning) loses half their wealth.

6. Check for winner - You are playing to X number of wealth tokens.

Should I buy this game?:

If you like trick taking games, I would recommend you giving this a try. This is a little heavier of a trick taking game than others I have played. To each their own, but try before you buy.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
SOLITAIRE
badge
WARGAMER
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
Components:

The components are pretty neat. You some cards which have interesting art on them, but the real delight is the rest of the markers. The tokens are little wooden markers shaped like trees, hammers, trees, etc. These are very nice for a little trick taking game.

It looks like the wooden components only came with the Kickstarter version? The retail game may just come with the cardboard tokens. Someone who has the retail version can chime in here.

Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.