Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Been toying with this for ages and would love to get going on it as a nice little sideline project:

Shoot Wrasslin' deck building game

Aim of the game:
1) Build a stable of wrestlers for your promotion.
2) Collect special/signature crowd- pleasing moves, story lines, equipment and arenas, dirty tricks to play on rival player's promotions.
3) Put on house shows culminating in a PPV - who can get the hugest TV ratings and pick up a network deal?

Probably take place in multiple phases (like the blood bowl card game) and see a lot of player interaction such as grudge matches , promotion wrestler trades, wrestlers getting angry and walking out, etc...

This is a game I'd like to play with my friends so that's the primary motivation - I have zero experience of deck building games so what type of mechanics should I be looking to emulate?

This will probably end up a free p&p game btw :) possibly artscow or summthang!

Cheers, Hal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know much about Blood Bowl, and am new to Deckbuilders, but I know a fair bit about wrestling games (having designed one and been selling it for a few years) so I figured I'd chime in with this one.

Looking at what you have, I wouldn't focus on a set number of phases but instead have the winner be the first player to go from an indy promotion to get a network deal (which would be based on Victory Points awarded during the rounds).

The deckbuilders I have played have a starting point set of cards. The one I have the most experience w/ is Ascension and it has 2 cards - one that conducts combat against monsters in the center row and one that recruits heroes and the like from the center row.

I'm not sure what sort of "monsters" would fit your theme. Perhaps you could have trainers and creative (or a street team, hype men, biz guys, whatever)? Trainers would purchase all the in-ring stuff (moves, wrestler improvements, grudge matches, dirty tricks, "hardcore" fans, etc.) and creative would purchase all the rest (storyline, arenas, equipment, "middle of the road" fans, wrestlers, TV time).

The thing I've noticed w/ the deckbuilding games I play is that there is a stairstep approach where you purchase some things that are cheaper, which opens the door to purchasing more expensive things. What I would do if designing this is to download a game on your phone/tablet. I have Ascension and just downloaded Star Realms. What I gave you above was a reskinning, adjusted theme, of Ascension's beginning rounds. Other games might work better, but as noted, this is new to me as well.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes!

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Warren this is really useful. I was thinking that each phase that they players are dealt a hand of wrestlers that they draft one and then pass on (like 7 wonders) - as well as their in ring abilites they also generate resources with weaker wrestlers providing more resource to spend on boosters.

The main phase will look something like -

1) Draw a House show card:

Sample - Local show
Staged in a church hall your event is a low key, low budget affair to drum up local support for your promotion.

Spots
i: Heel vs Face (aptitude vs. aptitude)
ii: Heel vs Face (style vs. stamina)
iii: In ring promo (Face only mic work)
iv: backstage beat down (heel only, heat)
v: Main event Heel vs face (aptitude vs. aptitude)

Score - add the stats together + a dice roll + card modifiers - Dirty Tricks

2) Assign your wrestling talent to the show - careful selection about where to deploy wrestlers here is a strategic element.

3) Live shows - Players now have the chance to play modifiers and dirty tricks on each other.

4) Scoring round - has anyone got enough points to get them a network deal?

NO? - rinse and repeat with a new round of drafts including more talented wrestlers from a 'superstar' deck to represent washed up old pros, and hot indie talent that mercs from promotion to promotion (like the old ROH days).

I love the split between trainers and creative - definately stealing this one. Thanks for the tips :)

Cheers, Hal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad MacIntyre
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I like it. Can you walk through through the scoring a little more? You have a timeline for release? A kickstarter? *Subscribed*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A playtest version will probably be finished by the end of December using 'dummy' cards if it works okay i 'll put it out there and approach publishers. Don't know about kickstarter - it's all that artwork that needs commissioning for 300+ cards that might be an issue.

Cheers, Hal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Getting there :) rulebook will be ready soon too

Cheers, Hal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17832515#17832515

Cheers, Hal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.