Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paweł Stelmach
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can the champion power ever go below 0?

For example if Monk copies another Monk or his power gets cancelled it will end up with power equal 0.
But then warrior's legacy ability will decrease it by the locations number - below 0.

The rulebook does not say it can't be below 0, so I guess it is correct but this one thing strikes me as just too technical and I intuitively second guess it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you said yourself, there's nothing in the rules to prevent this happening , so I don't see why not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Stelmach
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmb
Technically I don't see a problem. I also know this is not the most thematic game of all, but there are thematic elements and they do add to the deep decisions and this one (little) thing just took me out of the game and got me wondering.

I think I would like it better if 0 was the minimum, because power below 0 feels strange (to me). And I see two options assume that power can never go below 0 and if it does it stops there (it is still a bit technical) or that if it ever would go below your champion automatically looses the fight (is knocked out). Then players would have another option to consider (and it would make more sense to me).

You could argue that in that case you would lose anyway but in that situation I had wizard in legacy and could add almost any card to mitigate the minus power (and did).

But then again, I don't know how those ideas brake the balance of the game and I am also curious what was the designer's intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hamm
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. Sorry for the slow support, but here is your official answer. Power can go negative. While not the most thematic, it is helpful to not have an exception and will be useful for powers in future sets where you pay for the ability by subtracting from your champion's power. Sorry for the confusion. I hope this answers your question, and thanks to everyone for playing Strife: LotE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Stelmach
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for your definite answer.

And also good to hear that there will be more sets , Strife is a great game!

(wishful thinking mode on I was thinking that maybe future sets could be a bit like like Lost Legacy sets - each set would be separate and with analogous classes with the same numbers but with different abilities. Then you could also mix the sets and change any champion with a certain number for a corresponding champion with the same number. This way you could play with two matching decks but also players could play in a different way and build their own deck before the game separately, so the only limitation would be that they would have a champion for each number 0 to 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hamm
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...I have never heard of Lost Legacies, but it sounds interesting. Shh...don't give away the secret! ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.