Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am looking at buying a game from the market place here on BGG.
what happens if i bought a game and i don't receive it.
does paypal etc cover for this kind of thing and is it a safe envoironment to buy from.
the game i'm looking at is from germany and i live in england.
just posting this to try get some advise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
In the usa at least paypals terms cover purchases made with it.

I think they're even more buyer friendly in the UK.

But buying from someone with no reputation could still be a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you pay with Paypal as a purchase of goods you do have protection for non-delivery/damage/not as described.
2) You should check the feedback (trade and/or marketplace) for the seller. I wouldn't buy a high value rare item from someone with 0 feedback, Paypal protection or no.
3) It's not a great time of year for getting stuff by mail with every service operating closer and closer to breaking-point the closer we get to Xmas, but oddly a shipment from Germany via DHL is probably more likely to get to you safely than one via Royal Mail from the UK
4) You can purchase additional insurance for not a huge amount, depending on parcel weight/value. Some info here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/181837/item/3558580#it...

I have bought several items via the Marketplace from Germany and elsewhere, and made several trades with European Gamers without any issues at all. The environment (the marketplace) is - of course - only as good as the people who make it up, but there are some excellent people out there - I'm lucky never to have found one who isn't, but you jsut need to do some basic checks.

GM if you are concerned.

Edit: Oh! Make sure you're buying the right language version: if you want an English version make sure that's what they're selling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've doubled checked it is English 1st edition with the seller.
Shipping is via my hermes at 19 euro
Which is a damn site better than the 45 euro a seller in Spain was asking.
The seller has 4 feedback.
Should I or not for £62-59p pounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd go ahead and take the chance.

I've bought several items from Germany and never had a problem. Four positive pieces of feedback would be enough for me. I usually prefer that they don't add tracking and insurance, because that adds a lot of cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamanu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I trade a lot via BGG marketplace and it never had any troubles. Plus I had better experience buying from fellow bgg users than from online stores (usually faster and more friendly communication, quicker handling of any complaints - happened once or twice - and I made some friends this way
So don't hesitate. Go for it.
(btw paypal's protection is wonderful - I had to use it once when buying on ebay - money back after 7 or 10 days with no questions asked when the seller didn't respond to claim)

Some examples from the marketplace:

I was buying a game which was supposed to be shrink wrapped. It turned out that it was not and some of the counters were punched out. The seller offered me to return the money after discovering it, admitting it was his mistake. I asked for a little discount and after 5 minutes he returned me more than I expected. The game arrived in like new condition (just the shrinkwrap removed and some counters punched as described by the seller). So I sent him back half of his return.

I sent a game to Brazil. The box was badly damaged. It was obviously my fault - I didn't pack it well enough so I offered the buyer to return full cost of the game. He refused and stated that covering half of the game cost would be more than enough.
I refunded him half and bought and sent him a promo card for the game as an apology.

BGG marketplace is a great place (like the whole BGG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advise.
I'm going to go for it.
I'll probably buy the new edition when it comes out,but I just can't wait that long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious now - which game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
I'm curious now - which game?

He probably won't say until he actually buys it. Wouldn't want someone else to swoop over there and pluck it out from under him, I imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought it.
Age of Empires III. Age of Discovery.
English first edition,purchased from Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha,suprise,suprise.
Looked on ebay for months for this game.
Never been for sale so I get one from Germany.
The next day one pops up for sale.
Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
item never arrived after over a month of waiting but got full refund

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.