Axis & Allies» Forums » Variants

Subject: Balancing with Tech rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, it's pretty widely accepted that the Allies have the game in the bag if they know what they're doing...most attempts to balance out that advantage include restricting USSR from first-turn attacks, and/or a starting Axis bid. But how about using tech?

The rulebook actually suggests giving Japan Super Subs to start, and giving Germany (IIRC) Jet Power. Awarding Long-Range Aircraft or Heavy Bombers to either would probably be overpowering, as would Industrial Technology for Germany, but how well would the other techs fare for balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

Super subs is a solid plus for Japan.

I haven't found jet power to be much use for Germany, those fighters rarely end up on the defensive. Long range seems much more useful and really not overpowering. It's not like they can afford a ton of new aircraft.

Agreed about industrial tech and heavy bombers. Rockets are pretty useless, I think -- an average of one less opponent infantry/turn? Maybe if they could target ships or something, but meh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KamikazeJohnson wrote:
.... would probably be overpowering, as would Industrial Technology ...

Seahawk wrote:
Agreed about industrial tech .....

Slightly off-topic :
I was thinking about Industrial Technology. If Russia were to acquire this early-on an a game, I think the Allies would be unstoppable. This is because Russia, who usually must purchase almost nothing but Infantry, would have larger Infantry (defensive) forces at a steep discounted price.
(The problem is that Russia can barely afford to take the chance in acquiring technology).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

Yeah, it would be a crusher (when we would play this a ton as teenagers someone would go for it once in a while), but with less than 3% chance per 20%+ of their production, it's just not a good bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Seahawk wrote:

Super subs is a solid plus for Japan.

Although, unless US decides to persist in an unproductive Pacific war, those Japanese subs have little to do. Germany would actually see more benefit due to their extensive utility securing the Atlantic.

Quote:
I haven't found jet power to be much use for Germany, those fighters rarely end up on the defensive.

Probably more of a benefit for Japan, who often has 2-3 Infantry defending a space, accompanied by 3-5 fighters. That boost is an extra deterrent against a questionable USSR or UK attack, given the shortage of reinforcements in that area.

Quote:
Long range seems much more useful and really not overpowering. It's not like they can afford a ton of new aircraft.

If USSR fails to destroy the Baltic transport (or is restricted from doing so), Germany can realistically invade UK on turn 1, with decent odds of success.

Quote:
Agreed about industrial tech and heavy bombers. Rockets are pretty useless, I think -- an average of one less opponent infantry/turn? Maybe if they could target ships or something, but meh...

Rockets on Turn 1 for FREE can make a big difference over time. A definite edge if held by UK, US, or Ger, but not worth paying to research it.

EDIT: typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.