Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An assortment of questions that came up when I was giving the game a test run to get a handle on the rules. Also posted in the comments on KS but not sure if that's even being checked anymore so figured I'd crosspost here.

1) How exactly does turn order work? Say there's a game with Dog and Bunny, Dog as the first player. Each animal has three denizens engaged with it and say four attacks. Which is the correct sequence of events for the encounter phase?

1. Dog defends.
2. Dog attacks.
3. Repeat until all dog denizens are exhausted.
4. Bunny defends.
5. Bunny attacks.
6. Repeat until all bunny denizens are exhausted.

1. Dog defends.
2. Dog attacks.
3. Bunny defends.
4. Bunny attacks.
5a. Repeat until all denizens are exhausted.
5b. Repeat until all denizens engaged with a single animal are exhausted at the start of that animal's turn regardless of the rest of the board.

1. Dog defends.
2. Bunny defends.
3. Dog attacks.
4. Bunny attacks.
5a / 5b as above.

Or some other turn order not listed here?

2) The bow says it doesn't ready next round but the rules say you ready everything at the end of each round (So as written I could use it in round one, ready it, use it again in round two, and then it would not be readied at the end of round two and thus unavailable in round three, Giraffe and the like notwithstanding). I assume it basically means that if I use it during a round I can't use it next round unless I can find an alternate means of readying it.

3) Can you exhaust other player's puzzle pieces? I'm thinking no since pretty much every game with said mechanic only lets you exhaust your own cards and divvying up the toys would be sort of a moot point if everyone could exhaust each other's weapons, but I figure I might as well ask.

4) Another puzzle piece question, if I use three of them to attack, do I get the special effects of each of them, or just the one I was "officially" attacking with? It seems like the former based on the flavor and such, but want to be sure. Actually for that matter while we're at it, if I exhaust three pieces for a single attack, do I add three dice to the attack or just one?

5) How does the wind-up dinosaur's ability work? It sounds like it's either:
A) If there are 4 stuffed animals and each one is engaged with one denizen, it would allow its wielder to attack all 4 of said denizens.
B) It can attack a denizen that's engaged with every animal simultaneously (So basically Spidipede and friends I guess).
It's written like B, but my instincts say A (Mainly since B would be kind of redundant since if the denizen is already engaged with all animals, it's by default engaged with your animal and thus can be normally attacked anyway)

6)If the Bunny rolls a 6 on his defense roll when he has no wound counters, does he get to remove one of the wounds he receives from that attack? I'm thinking no, but wanted to double check.

7) I assume the term "proficient" on Anything You Can Do means that if the item has a special ability, you can use it, but confirmation would be nice.

8) When using Straight Bet to attack, what happens if you roll a 5 or 6 for your extra success? Do you just basically attack normally? Reroll? Attack normally, but still get a wound if you roll any matching numbers?

9) The green puzzle piece says to exhaust denizens damaged by it, I assume that means I have to actually inflict at least one wound to get the effect?

10) Does the Zordo dream card that reduces all attacking damage by one affect indirect damage? If I use Ante Up and roll no successes would I have to put three wounds on myself to deal two wounds to the target? If I attack with the bow, does the special ability still inflict two wounds? I'm thinking no and yes, but I could see Ante Up going either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Tap
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, co-creator of the game here. Let me answer your questions. All of my answers are in the quote block below in blue with summaries of your questions for the reader.

Dapperghast wrote:

1) How exactly does turn order work? Say there's a game with Dog and Bunny, Dog as the first player. Which is the correct sequence of events for the encounter phase?

Animal Defends (if there are any unexhausted enemies)
Animal Attacks
If there is still an unexhausted enemy anywhere on the table, go to next player in turn order. Otherwise, entire round ends.

(So yes, it can be an effective strategy to exhaust all the enemies engaged to a Stuffed Animal so that the Stuffed Animal will potentially not be attacked this round yet still be able to attack other enemies)

2) The bow says it doesn't ready next round but the rules say you ready everything at the end of each round. I assume it basically means that if I use it during a round I can't use it next round unless I can find an alternate means of readying it.

Correct, use it round one and you don't get to use it in round two. Technically as written, the card is incorrect. It should read that it doesn't ready at the end of this round.

3) Can you exhaust other player's puzzle pieces?

Correct. You need to own the Puzzle Pieces in order to attack with them. No exhausting other player's weapons or skills for your own attack.

4) Another puzzle piece question, if I use three of them to attack, do I get the special effects of each of them, or just the one I was "officially" attacking with? If I exhaust three pieces for a single attack, do I add three dice to the attack or just one?

Yep, the puzzle piece effects ALL add. You get the effects of each piece and you get the extra attack dice from each as well. So three puzzle pieces means three different effects and +3 attack.

5) How does the wind-up dinosaur's ability work?

It's written like option B and we intended it be played like B. Choose one enemy engaged to each player, even if that enemy also happens to be engaged to you as well (Silly Spidipede and mucking up the rules)

6)If the Bunny rolls a 6 on his defense roll when he has no wound counters, does he get to remove one of the wounds he receives from that attack? I'm thinking no, but wanted to double check.

Heal first, then damage. The logic here is the instant you roll the six, you immediate interrupt what you are doing and heal. And oddly enough, it came up in a playtest once that the bunny would have received lethal damage, but healed the one wound he needed to survive. That was an awesome game.

7) I assume the term "proficient" on Anything You Can Do means that if the item has a special ability, you can use it, but confirmation would be nice.

Yep. Basically, the Octopus can use this ability to use any weapon to it's FULL POTENTIAL!!

8) When using Straight Bet to attack, what happens if you roll a 5 or 6 for your extra success? Do you just basically attack normally? Reroll? Attack normally, but still get a wound if you roll any matching numbers?

As designed, a 5 and a 6 from straight bet just means that you are attacking normally. But between you and me, during the playtests I'd always just reroll until I got a 1-4. Brandon always gave me a dirty stare, but I wanted my Lucky Bunny to actually have MORE SUCCESSES!!!

9) The green puzzle piece says to exhaust denizens damaged by it, I assume that means I have to actually inflict at least one wound to get the effect?

Correct. All the exhaust target denizen abilities are like that.

10) Does the Zordo dream card that reduces all attacking damage by one affect indirect damage?

By attack damage, it's intended to refer only to damage done when rolling for an attack. Any wounds gained as a cost during an attack aren't prevented and automatic damage is exactly that: "automatic". The Bow will always do two damage to a Denizen even if you roll no successes.

I hope this answers your questions and you can enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tresker wrote:
I hope this answers your questions and you can enjoy the game.

For the most part yeah, though I may have 10 more questions after a few more plays (I can't help it, rules lawyering is in my blood )

But I'd like to inquire further on a couple of points.

Quote:
5) How does the wind-up dinosaur's ability work?

It's written like option B and we intended it be played like B. Choose one enemy engaged to each player, even if that enemy also happens to be engaged to you as well (Silly Spidipede and mucking up the rules)

Then I may just be thick but I'm not really seeing the point of the special ability. I gave the dream deck and denizen deck a decent perusal and didn't see anything that would allow a denizen to engage with more than one animal, letalone all of them at once (Even the one Isola creepy doll says that it attacks them all, but not that it engages them), so it's special would already be dead against everything except Nyx and the Swarm.

Which I guess is okay, but seems oddly specific compared to every other special ability and such. But then attacking with one roll is what you do anyway (And as I said, you're a subset of "every stuffed animal" so they would have to be engaged with you to meet the criteria of being engaged with every stuffed animal, thus you'd be able to attack those guys with one roll anyway).

Or do you mean "For each player, choose one denizen engaged with them." Meaning you could potentially attack four denizens at once? Because that was option A (apologies if I worded my question poorly, was trying to make sure I wrote down all my questions before I forgot any).

Quote:
I wanted my Lucky Bunny to actually have MORE SUCCESSES!!!

Oh man totally missed the lucky bunny thing (Well, I mean I got the theme, but missed the joke about it being used on the bunny because lucky rabbit), well done

Quote:
10) Does the Zordo dream card that reduces all attacking damage by one affect indirect damage?

By attack damage, it's intended to refer only to damage done when rolling for an attack. Any wounds gained as a cost during an attack aren't prevented and automatic damage is exactly that: "automatic". The Bow will always do two damage to a Denizen even if you roll no successes.

So basically if I roll four successes on my normal attack roll and they roll two successes on defense, they'll only take one damage, but any other damage, wounds, even hypothetical cards that said "When you attack, deal 1 damage to defender" or "When you roll a 1 take 1 damage" would be unaffected?

Also, thank you for taking the time to address my questions, I'm one of those people who enjoys dissecting systems and seeing what makes them tick, so they can get a bit nitpicky at times and I appreciate getting an answer right from the source.

And I'm already enjoying the game, still have a huge stuffed animal collection (Though oddly not much overlap, besides the obvious Bear, and I guess a jellyfish beanie baby that's similar to the Octopus) so it's pretty much a shoo-in .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Higley
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I can help answer question 5, about the Dinosaur. In short, option A. Another way to word it could be, "Choose one denizen engaged with each stuffed animal. Attack each of those denizens with one roll."

So yeah, you were right; if there are four stuffed animals playing, the dinosaur rampages the board and attacks one denizen per stuffed animal.

Also, you were correct about Zordo's dream. Only damage from attack rolls is affected by that dream card, not additional effects that do additional damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coolio. Thanks again for responding, I believe that clears up all my questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Tap
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dapperghast wrote:

Then I may just be thick but I'm not really seeing the point of the special ability. I gave the dream deck and denizen deck a decent perusal and didn't see anything that would allow a denizen to engage with more than one animal, letalone all of them at once (Even the one Isola creepy doll says that it attacks them all, but not that it engages them), so it's special would already be dead against everything except Nyx and the Swarm.

Which I guess is okay, but seems oddly specific compared to every other special ability and such. But then attacking with one roll is what you do anyway (And as I said, you're a subset of "every stuffed animal" so they would have to be engaged with you to meet the criteria of being engaged with every stuffed animal, thus you'd be able to attack those guys with one roll anyway).

Or do you mean "For each player, choose one denizen engaged with them." Meaning you could potentially attack four denizens at once? Because that was option A (apologies if I worded my question poorly, was trying to make sure I wrote down all my questions before I forgot any).

Sorry about that, in reading my response, I'm not quite sure what I had read. Brandon puts it clearly.

But anyways, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the game, and we'll be happy to clear up any other rules questions that show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.