Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just curious if anyone else thinks 6 points for building a roof and completing a pagoda seems kind of cheap as far as points go. It just seems kind of odd to me how you get more and more points for building columns on higher levels and then just 6 points for the roof. It's kind of anti-climatic in a sense. I don't think this ruins the game, it's still a fun game. I just find it kind of perplexing and curious as to why it was designed this way. Seems like scoring a bigger bonus for building the roof would have been more climatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hicks
United States
Evansville
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely see where you are coming from. Its rather anticlimactic. But still an amazing game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Knopf
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's balanced since you also get the bonus action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ponkie wrote:
I think it's balanced since you also get the bonus action.

Good point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note, the rooftop counts as only 1 column, so you still can build 2 other columns in the same turn! Therefore it woult not be balanced to give more than 5 points for the rooftop!

In the 3rd floor, you get 3 points per column. In the 4th floor, you get 4 points per column. The rooftop obviously is "the 5th floor", so you get 5 points for the column. I think this is very climatic.

The only difference is, you need 2 cards for this column instead of one. But it is still 1 column for you column limit per turn, and that's important for the game balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only do you get 6 point but you also prevent your opponent from playing columns on that pagoda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can imagine that if it was worth that many more points that players would avoid contributing to the fourth floor columns. At 6 points, I feel as if I add the first or second column to the fourth floor that it isn't a total loss if my opponent has the right cards to finish it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
In my experience, players will finish the 4th floor columns and do the roof in one turn. Adding a column here and there to a 4th floor is not smart, because it helps your opponent to finish the roof on their turn.

Instead, players usually leave the 4th floor with 2 or 3 columns to build, so it's tougher to finish the roof.

With two columns build on the 4th floor, it's a 14-point move if you finish it on your turn. It can be an 18-point turn if you use a Red special power and build the 3 remaining columns on the 4th floor and then finish the roof.

Lots of points to be had at the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.