Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I finish a battle with 3 units victorious and 3 drawn, 0 defeated, is that a draw? If so, is it a big deal to houserule it as a win? It seems very foolish that if only some of my units that fought to a standstill had been defeated, we would have won.

There are blue VP triangles in some of the map regions, I think all of the #4/#5. Does this mean 1 VP if the Royalist army is at this point or higher (so 2 VP if they are in #5)?

Getting Cromwell before my first battle was great. Losing him in the second battle, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
rchandra wrote:
If I finish a battle with 3 units victorious and 3 drawn, 0 defeated, is that a draw? If so, is it a big deal to houserule it as a win? It seems very foolish that if only some of my units that fought to a standstill had been defeated, we would have won.

Section 7.0 #6 states "The box with the majority of your units in it determines the Battle's outcome. If there is a tie for having the majority of your pieces, the Battle's outcome is a Draw!"

My understanding is the tactical system was designed to produce draws as this was the historical tendency during this era. So if you institute a house rule altering this, it is likely to have significant effect on play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

My understanding is the tactical system was designed to produce draws as this was the historical tendency during this era. So if you institute a house rule altering this, it is likely to have significant effect on play.

This is technically correct, but it leads to the odd situation where it is better to have 2 units in Draw and 1 in Defeat than to have all 3 units in Draw: You get a Victory for performing worse!

So I think I would support the "round up" to a victory proposal stated here, if only because it makes more thematic sense and makes battles a bit less gamey.

Quote:
There are blue VP triangles in some of the map regions, I think all of the #4/#5. Does this mean 1 VP if the Royalist army is at this point or higher (so 2 VP if they are in #5)?

According to the scoring example in the rulebook:
+4VP - Invading Army units in their #4 or #5 Areas at the end of the game (all are in their respective #5 Areas)

So it seems you only get 1 VP max per army based on their location (but you can get more if they are disordered).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the questions and the quick answers posted here.

My goal with the tactical battle game was to reflect the realities of warfare in the mid-17th century - i.e. they were not very decisive. The were a multitude of limitations on 'armies' of the period and the ECW in particular. An ECW army could effectively win a battle (normally by holding the ground at the battle's end) but gain no strategic victory as a consequence. The system I created is often maddening and maybe even a little counterintuitive but I wanted it to give players a real sense for the effectiveness of a purely military strategy to win the game.

All that said, I'm a huge supporter of players that want to play around with the rules and systems and see if it gives them a better gaming experience. I agree with David that it might dramatically unbalance the game but give it a go and let me know how it works out

Today marks the one year anniversary of Cruel Necessity's release so thanks for posting on this special day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit into the 3rd war deck now, I think that situation only came up twice (since it needs to be 3/3/0, I'm not counting 2/3/1 or 2/4/0 or similar as wins). I did count 2-3 extra vp from armies at the end of each deck, but I'm not sure it changed me to a better category. I'm suspecting a middling defeat for my first game at the end, though I have grabbed a few achievements so maybe the one above that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.