Subject: Opponents management rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I used to play CCN online with a British gentleman once a week at a regular time. We played for more than one year and I used to enjoy his conversation. The point is against him I used to win something like 75% of the time. He then one day told me he was "tired" of the game and (still gently) asked me to stop our rendez-vous.

At first I did conclude nothing but just was missing his conversation. Then I noticed something else:

Inside my live group of friends playing (mostly CCA) and some few CCN ... The players living the game was the one loosing the most! I mean it can sound obvious but I didn't realised it at the start!

The guys winning 50% or more are still calling me to play ... The guys winning only 35% accept to play but I have to call them twice ... The guys winning 20% or less did stop playing it. Can I blame them? We say in poker: "A looser is not somebody loosing, it's somebody who keeps on asking to play a game were he loses!".

Even myself: I realise I was instinctively trying to avoid playing against some players in CCN (some are winning 80% on me) like I do in poker.

So because the opponents are so rare (mostly in CCN), I try to manage them more and more: At least the unbalanced scenarios are helpfull for I can play the underdog side against the weak players! Because unlike poker there is no salary here: The point is PLEASURE. And because victory is part of pleasure: let's share it with our opponents!

My conclusion: Against a weak player I will take more pleasure to play the 25% underdog side, making the result 50%~50% than playing the other side, making the result 95%~5% ... Don't you?

GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play my experienced gaming partner we either play those scenarios that are reasonably balaned (withing the 60-40 spread) or switch sides and play the same scenario twice.
Against my less experienced gaming partner I always chose an unbalanced scenario and play the weaker side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TY Brian for the witness! Even if we don't do much "switch" battles with my regulars good players, I do play underdog like you against the "weak" ones (and feel embarassed to ask it for me against the good ones: Aren't they bored to easily win? Don't they notice I try to avoid them now? LOL).

Another example: My most regular partner (my "buddie" say the Americans I think), is mostly loosing against me. Read me correctly: I even can't use the term "weak" here because even if his brain might not be done for this stupid recreational wargame, the man is generous, clever and so couragous in front of difficulties he had to manage in is life that I'm so filled with admiration for him. I don't think I would had been so strong. So ... OK he is "weak" at C&C games ... So I play the underdog sides not only sometime to time but ALLWAYS since several years and (important) he KNOWS it! ... So what?

- We have fun with those 50%-50% results!
- He does not stop playing the game!
- I still respect his huge and numerous other qualities!

What else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And thank God the part of chance is still present in CCN & CCA because it's the main pleasure for the weak players! Luck is the only hope to beat a good player sometime to time (even for me lol).

Some complain about too much luck in C&C? Let's send them back to Chess where I wish them some rude sessions against the masters LOL! They will discover that a game where there is much more players better than you than weaker may not be that funny on the long range LOOOL! And they will run back to CCN or CCA with pleasure! Less part of luck in a game: Less part of weak players staying in the game! You don't have as many weak-to-average guys playing Chess as you have in Poker!

This an element that makes the huge popular success of games in terms of quantities of players: The part of LUCK! (Damn I realise this may be the reason I have much problems trying to convince my friends to keep on playing CCN ... Because most of them prefer CCA?) ...

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you described GG is especially important when you introduce new people to the game. When I was doing it with my two, now regular CCA and CCN opponents, I made sure they really get some fun and possibility to win. Saying "now you are loosing all games, but you will learn eventually" will not work.

We usually play "campaigns", i.e. interrelated scenarios. We like it that way as it is good opportunity to learn history (and it is as much important for us as play itself). So when I was still teaching them, we playd Alexander campaign, where I always had to confront the great macedonian general rather then play as him. Same for CCN, where I am usually Russian or mixed portugal-brtish player. I have fun tryng to overcome the odds, they have fun of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you finding the stats with the scenario underdog percentages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Where are you finding the stats with the scenario underdog percentages?

Probably here

http://www.ccnapoleonics.net/scenarios

if you click on a scenario, you see the victory percentages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.