Subject: POINTS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While deciding on what to buy I've been reading a lot of these posts and watched videos.

Now I understand there are tournements, watched a few vids, but this overhead view, ... not that clear.

So apparenlty you decide on a number of points to spend and than go about constructing a fleet with all sorts of upgrades untill you reach said point total.. Right?

Fine if you play official tournements.

But now, I'm sat at my table at home with a hord of ships and me and the kids want to have a go at this.

Now, knowing me, I'm going to want ALL my ships on the table, which probably means that this 100 points takes no effort at all to reach and than there's still ships on the side line.

So how do we novice, play for fun, use all we've got kind of guys, go about this.
I mean you'll obviously need some restrictions or you'll get some weird fleets, but what to do. Simply pick you own point total...?

I hope someone can suggest some kind of solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick whatever point total you want. Just know it's probably going to add like an hour per 100 points on top of the 90ish minutes a 100 point game takes.

Do a search for "epic star wars miniatures rules"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play a few games with just a few ships. 100 points is 3-4 rebel ships and up to 8 Tie Fighters. I think this is actually the sweet spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Meney
Scotland
Larbert
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To begin with, you could hold back on too many upgrade cards on the ships when playing with kids. Keeping track of what ship can do what and when could be overwhelming with a lot of ships on the board.

I play with a 6yo and he likes R2D2 on his X-Wing but that's about it. We stick mostly with basic pilots without abilities and just let rip!!

If you are just flying around and shooting stuff for fun then don't get too hung up on the points with kids games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all up to you. The 100 points is only a recommendation (and also the official tournament rule).

The actual rule from the rulebook:
X-Wing rules wrote:
During the "Gather Forces" step of setup, both players must first agree on a number of squad points per faction. It is recommended that each faction field 100 points, although players are welcome to choose any point total.

If you absolutely want every ship on the table, here's one idea:
Figure out, for both sides, the minimum amount of points needed to get the crappiest naked pilots on the table. Take the higher of those numbers and add some points to that (to allow better pilots and some upgrades). Make that the point limit for both sides. Don't worry about the "underdog" side, they'll easily meet that total with named pilots and high cost upgrades if necessary.

For giggles, I checked the point spreads for your original shopping cart in your other thread:
2x Core, Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, TIE Advanced
Rebels:
crappiest pilots, no upgrades = 81 points
best pilots, full suites of expensive upgrades = 168 points

Imperials:
crappiest pilots, no upgrades = 111 points
best pilots, full suites of expensive upgrades = 183 points

So anything between 111 and 168 points lets you field all the ships for both sides and should be in theory balanced. Although at 168 points the rebels have definitely overupgraded themselves and will most likely lose to the sheer number of Imperial ships...

I used Voidstate's unofficial squadron builder to help come up with those numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Addum wrote:
To begin with, you could hold back on too many upgrade cards on the ships when playing with kids. Keeping track of what ship can do what and when could be overwhelming with a lot of ships on the board.

I play with a 6yo and he likes R2D2 on his X-Wing but that's about it. We stick mostly with basic pilots without abilities and just let rip!!

If you are just flying around and shooting stuff for fun then don't get too hung up on the points with kids games.

Seems like a good plan, know your ships before you make things to complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Pick whatever point total you want. Just know it's probably going to add like an hour per 100 points on top of the 90ish minutes a 100 point game takes.

Do a search for "epic star wars miniatures rules"

so a 100 point game is 9o minutes.
truth be told I hadn't even consider how long a game would take, but that is a good point.
Especially for a first game you do'n' want to over do it.
Good point, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
Play a few games with just a few ships. 100 points is 3-4 rebel ships and up to 8 Tie Fighters. I think this is actually the sweet spot.

So if I understand correctly, you think any game 'fielding' more than a 100 is less fun?
Did you make that experience or??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:

For giggles, I checked the point spreads for your original shopping cart in your other thread:
2x Core, Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, TIE Advanced
Rebels:
crappiest pilots, no upgrades = 81 points
best pilots, full suites of expensive upgrades = 168 points

Imperials:
crappiest pilots, no upgrades = 111 points
best pilots, full suites of expensive upgrades = 183 points

So anything between 111 and 168 points lets you field all the ships for both sides and should be in theory balanced. Although at 168 points the rebels have definitely overupgraded themselves and will most likely lose to the sheer number of Imperial ships...

I used Voidstate's unofficial squadron builder to help come up with those numbers.

I checked one of them sites and came up with 80-112 without the updates.

Almost decided on my final order and currently trying to resist the urge to get me a falcon and maybe another TIE fighter and a TIE bomber.
Good thing I set myself the 'movie stuff' only limit or...

Bigger ships must wait till next year.
I like that Lambda shuttle.
The rebel shuttle is more pricey and looks a bit like an alien cocoon.
Also took a look at that imperial.. oh whats it called. is it a battle ship?, shaped like a triangle.
I honestly didn't like the scale of it.
It's about the size of a falcon and I think it should have been larger.
Ah well......

I'm pleased to hear the 6th is it? wave is all games space ships so that'll save me some money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
sagitar wrote:
Thamos von Nostria wrote:

So if I understand correctly, you think any game 'fielding' more than a 100 is less fun?

I don't know whether I'd say it's less fun, but the game will definitely slow down some and take longer.

As others have already said, the sweet spot for this game is 100 points, and I'd even go so far as saying that it is just as fun with even less points than that.
We're in the process of coming up with a tournament format for our local players where players play two ship builds each round, with everyone playing exactly the same build. We're going to put a time limit of somewhere around 45 minutes, but in a lot of cases the games are taking even less time than that.

As for the ships you're adding, everyone has given good advice. The only thing I'd suggest is after getting the small ships you're already getting, adding a Falcon and a Firespray. They match up well (probably better than the shuttle) against each other, while offering the uniqueness of maneuvering the big base ships.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the most fun games I've had were Team Epic with 300 points per team. That said, I would never, ever, try to convince someone to play 300 points per side for their first game. Not unless I was trying to discourage them from ever playing again. That's sort of an "experienced players only" mode, as it takes 2-3 hours per match for experienced players (not including set-up and tear-down) - and even then, the outcome comes down to points (e.g. lots of ships left standing after 2+ hours).

I'd start with something like 60 points per side with minimal upgrades for a first game, then once everyone is comfortable with that, move up to 100 points per side with whatever upgrades you want. And always use asteroids. Games without obstacles tend to reduce to boring "jousts."

That, and try some of the scenarios that come in the larger boxes (core set, "aces" expansions, large and huge ship expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we play the occasional 300 point epic game. We usually have 4 players then, and sharing the ships helps setting the maneuvers quickly. So, that is about 150 points per player. After a few turns you are down to 100 points per player. Planning the maneuvers for a handful of ships does already take enough time, so I would not want much more than that.

100 points gives you enough to field one or two unique pilots or a named big ship, the game has enough turns to build up some tension but does not take too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.