13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Most popular card games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cards [+] [View All]
Paladin

California
msg tools
hello, i was wondering what everyone's favorite card games are and why? (mechanics? theme? etc.) you can include CCG's but i'm more curious in learning about what are the most poular stand alone card games out there!

thanksarrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
San Juan, Battle Line, and For Sale all seem to get pretty high praise around here.

As for CCGs, I'm really digging on Wars right now. I love everything about it. The mechanics, the theme. It's awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paladin

California
msg tools
cool thanks for the reply! isnt wars cancelled? if you could sum it up, what is it about wars that you enjoy so much about it? i have never seen it nor star wars (which i read the game system comes from, same creators)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of good card games out there, but right now my favorites are Victory & Honor (partnership), Havoc: The Hundred Years' War (poker-based), Battle Line (two-player), Fairy Tale (drafting), For Sale (auction), Wizard (trick-taking), and Coppertwaddle(two-player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner, Vampire:TES, Legend of the 5 Rings and Battletech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard, Tichu, Stickeln, Zum Kuckuck, Spades, Hearts

For CCG's I think Battletech was one of the best. I still have a lot of unopened starters and boosters that I won. Legend of the Five Rings and ShadowFist are also quite good. Zev of Z-Man games still promotes ShadowFist.

And, of course, the granddaddy of them all - Poker.

As for those with the most interesting mechanics I would go with Sticheln and Tichu. The CCG's are all in a class by themselves because there is sooo much variety because of the sheer number of cards involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, lots of card games are awesome. One of my all-time favorites in Pinochle. I love trick taking games and it's the best out there IMO. The card game I've been very hot on recently is Mhing (I've played it about 5 times a week for the last three weeks). It's a card game very similar to Mah Jongg and calls for outting together some complex hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Many of my favorite card games are based on traditional poker and pinochle decks.

Pinochle
Haasenpfeffer
Bid Whist
Estimation Whist / 10 op en neer / oh hell variant

spades, hearts and poker less so

That said, I also enjoy gang of four, sticheln, geschenkt, and korsar. 6 nimmt is OK.

I look forward to learning bridge, tichu, and havoc: hundred years war.

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
My current favorites are Circus Flohcati and Lost Cities. However, the most popular card game, now that poker is dying down a bit, is probably still contract bridge. Don't think so? My local ACBL chapter has 15 tournaments a week.

http://www.acbl.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Paul
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
In-print card games I've played in the past 3 months:

Poison (lots of Poison)
No Thanks!
6 Nimmt
Bohnanza (various versions)
Mu & Mehr
Circus Flohcati
Lucia Citta
Who's the Ass
Clocktowers
Coloretto
Lost Cities
Guillotine
San Juan
Tichu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
Wizard, Tichu, Stickeln, Zum Kuckuck, Spades, Hearts

Wow we should play some cardgames, like all of those (well don't know Zum Kuckuck, but the rest ).

No boardgames though, I'M always GREEN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Tichu and Frank's Zoo for our group, more than others, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Card games are very popular in my groups, I think because a lot of us have a background of either playing card games with our family (parents, grandparents, siblings) or had a period of card playing during university, or both.

On the traditional card game front my favourites are Spades (partnership trick taking), Cosmic Eidex and Flashcenteufel (3 player, every man for himself scoring trick taking), and perhaps Canasta (set collection, many variants: partnership 4 player, ever man for himself 3 player, 2 player).

With traditional card games I generally like trick taking games mainly because they have less of a memory central aspect. I play a lot of Eidex and Flashenteufel mainly because those are games which do not require partnerships, which makes them much easier to find players for. I like partnership play, and rank Spades as one of my favourite games of all time, but I don't get to play it very much because it requires a dedicated group of regular players to be really good, and my regular play group has long since broken up.

On the non-traditional card game front I would suggest Magic (if you have a few thousand spare dollars), San Juan, Titan: the Arena and Modern Art. Those games are all over the map in terms of play experience...Magic and San Juan are largely based on resource optimization, gaining card advantage over the course of the game, and creating effective card combinations. Titan: the Arena is a betting game which mainly focuses in on hand management and timing. Modern Art is a pure auction game which also incorporates hand management, but also requires a lot of psychology to play well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.