19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Best and most unique card came mechanics? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cards [+] mechanics [+] [View All]
Paladin

California
msg tools
Hello! what card game elements and mechanics have you guys come across that you feel are the best executed (such as theme into game) and what mechanics do you feel are just some of the most creative and fun to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory & Honor is the most unique trick-taking game I've played, specifically contesting 3 tricks at once. While the Civil War theme is not essential to game play, it's nicely integrated into the game with not only the photographs on the cards and flank boards, but the powers of the special cards (Cavalry, Artillery, and Scout) as well. The way trump is determined each round is also unique. Another nice touch was the scoring; the soldiers (cards) you capture won't count if you haven't captured the appropriate generals. We've found it to be both challenging and entertaining...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paladin

California
msg tools
thanks for the reply mitch, i dont mean to get off topic, but if you dont mind i have never honestly fully understood the concept of "trick taking" does that just mean playing acard within the context of the rules and obtaining other player's cards? or something along that line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader33x wrote:
thanks for the reply mitch, i dont mean to get off topic, but if you dont mind i have never honestly fully understood the concept of "trick taking" does that just mean playing acard within the context of the rules and obtaining other player's cards? or something along that line?

I'd say that pretty much sums it up...in most trick taking games, each player is dealt a hand of cards. Each player, in turn, then usually plays one card and after the last player plays, the one with the highest card takes the all the cards (aka "the trick"). Then another turn starts, usually with the winner of the last trick leading the next card. After every one is out of cards, the score is recorded for that hand; this usually is based either on the number of tricks a player has won, or on specific cards that a player has captured during the hand. Not all trick taking games are alike, but I'd say that's fairly common for most of 'em...

What's unique about the trick taking in Victory & Honor is that while you play one card at a time, each player will play 3 cards before any of the tricks are assessed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of trick taking is that each player plays one card and one card wins the trick. Often, but not always the player that played the winning card will play first on the next trick.

I've heard groups of cards in climbing games like Tichu and Great Dalmuti callled tricks which are defined when everyone passes, but personally, I don't think this is precise usage.

Twilight has a unique mechanic in that players are dealt both sun and moon cards, but on each player's turn they have to play their type of card or point to an opponent that has one (or more) and request that an appropriate card be played from the opponent's hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For just mechanics and fun factor, I would say Sticheln. Every color but the one played is trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That depends on if you want a two player or a multiplayer game.

For two players there is none better for interesting mechanics and flavor than Netrunner.

For multiplayer, I'd say the same for Vampire:TES.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea for a geeklist (if one doesn't already exist)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paladin

California
msg tools
a geeklist? really! that would be cool! (sorry but im not yet 100% familiar with the site so i havent perused the details regarding what constitutes a geeklist and how to make them!) however im glad someone mentioned vampire!! i have been playing that game on and off since it first came out, and love it 2 player OR multiplayer!!

also, thanks for the info regarding the trick taking, however, are there any more creative mechanics out there? i just love how vampire handles the action taking, the combat system AND political system, a VERY refined game that is fun and full of mechanics and fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
San Juan has some of the most interesting mechanics outside of CCGs. Every card represents something that you can build in your play area. Cards also represent how much wealth you have since you need to discard cards to pay for the cards you do play. The secondary function of this mechanic is that it eliminates the problem card games can have of drawing "dead" cards.

You draw cards by selling resources, which are just regular cards placed face down on your production plants. What's great about this is you never know what the card is. It's somewhat important because in San Juan you run through the deck at least once. With this mechanic you're effectivly removing unknown cards temporarly from the game. Otherwise you could deduce what game winning cards the other players are hanging onto.

The game also escalates nicely too. Most of the cards you play improve your game in some way. Like being able to sell more goods in the trading phase, or selling goods at a higher price, or producing more, or reducing the cost of building. Check out my strategy article for a good idea of what the cards can do. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/93786

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Not a card-only game, but Cleopatra and the Society of Architects has a unique card-drafting mechanism. Three piles of cards are available, and you can choose one pile. The unique part is that each pile will have some face-up cards and some face-down cards. (Before shuffling the deck, half the cards are turned face up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paladin

California
msg tools
thanks for the detailed references to san juan, im checking it out now and im definitely gonna have to pick up a set for myself!! i agree, i like playing card games that don't necessarily have useless cards, even in magic, where they give the excuse for useless cards by allowing drafting tournaments, but still , it would be nice to see almost 75% of cards useful in constructed at some point or another

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the role selection mechanic in Citadels and Meuterer the puppet/master and power relationships in the Illuminati series. The multi-use card mechanic also intrigues me, but I don't think I have played games that use it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The twilight pool mechanic in the Lord of the Rings CCG is excellent and I think was the main thing that set that game apart. In a two-player game, the players alternate between playing offense and defense. Each card has a cost associated with it. When playing offense, the cost goes into the "twilight pool". When it's the defensive player's turn, that player can use whatever twilight is in the pool to pay the cost of his cards. They can only play what they can pay for out of the pool. This creates a nice dynamic where the offensive player can control the amount of resources the defensive player has to work with. The more the offensive player spends, the more resources the defensive player will have to defend with.

But this mechanic also really made it an interesting multi-player game. In multi-player, each player takes turns playing offense while everyone else is working against him/her. The twilight pool is what made it possible for the offensive player to survive against everyone else. If the first defensive player uses up all the resources, then no one else gets to do anything. Essentially the offensive player should only have to face an equivalent force regardless of how many opponents are playing defense. Other factors in the game could affect this greatly, but that's the basic idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hutcheon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do find that MTG has always had consistently entertaining and theme-heavy mechanics. I do agree that the cost to really get into the game can be prohibitive, but they have done an excellent job over the years keeping the game fresh and interesting. Every cycle of three sets has its own unique mechanics, subtle balances, and overall feel, and the people at WotC have always done a splendid job of keeping the game interesting, in my opinion. The sheer variety of deck archetypes that can be constructed with a large base of cards is really staggering; I've always felt that the variety and interactions of the game has been its strength, and what has always set it apart from other card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Magic the Gathering Online for a couple of years, and there are ways there to reduce the cost.

I used to play online in these things called Leagues. They last for 4 weeks and they work like this:

Week 1: You pay for a sealed plus 2 boosters and make the best deck you can. Then play against 255 other people in the league for the week.

Weeks 2, 3, 4: At the beginning of each week you may OPTIONALLY add one booster (of a specific set).

Anyway, you get points for playing the game, and you "only" pay for a sealed deck plus 5 boosters. You get 4 weeks of intense competitive play, plus you can win more crystal meth - I mean more booster packs.

But that's STILL $32/month! Too much for me, in the end...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza has, I think, a very interesting mechanic. Your hand of cards is like a queue. Cards you draw must go to the back of your hand and the cards you play must be taken from the front. Furthermore, you can not re-order the cards in your hand This causes some pressure to build up from the cards that you draw that you don't want as they approach the front of your hand. The only outlet for the pressure is trading them away. Games I've played have gotten pretty lively with the negotiating of trades.

I agree that this thread would make a good geeklist. Take the plunge and create your first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hutcheon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:

Week 1: You pay for a sealed plus 2 boosters and make the best deck you can. Then play against 255 other people in the league for the week.

Weeks 2, 3, 4: At the beginning of each week you may OPTIONALLY add one booster (of a specific set).

But that's STILL $32/month! Too much for me, in the end...

I've never actually looked into MTG: Online. It is appealing to me, as the main draw in Magic has always been casual play and Limited. I like building decks, but I don't find the unoriginal shark tank of constructed tournament play very interesting.

Anyway, the question I had was this; Is your estimate based on doing a new League every month, or could you just do it two or three times, take your cards, throw a deck together, and hit the casual rooms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you get to keep the cards from the league, so you can use those for casual games. You don't have to wait for the league to end to use them either - they are immediately available for casual play (but not for trade until the league ends).

It seems hugely cheaper to trade online too - you can get hundreds of commons for just a few dollars. Obviously the choice rares are more expensive, but most commons and even many uncommons can be got for peanuts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.