United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody picked up one these yet, and if so what's in it? I have one on hold at my FLGS to be picked up today. Also are they all the same or do they hold different contents?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Gamecaurless
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I haven't gotten mine yet but if you search theres a YouTube video of someone unboxing theirs. It has a Trains expansion, Doomtown expansion, I forget the third (Throwdown?), and the new game is Seven Seas Guilds. No clue about quality or anything. Just watched the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's rather underwhelming.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow_Tracker wrote:
Yeah that's rather underwhelming.....

You can say that again. I love a lot of the stuff AEG puts out and was fully ready to be bummed out that I'm not in the country to go to a game store and get one. Don't need to worry about being disappointed now I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine just had 80 different versions of Love Letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwickles wrote:
I haven't gotten mine yet but if you search theres a YouTube video of someone unboxing theirs. It has a Trains expansion, Doomtown expansion, I forget the third (Throwdown?), and the new game is Seven Seas Guilds. No clue about quality or anything. Just watched the video.

Kind of. Spoilers ahead:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Trains - As far as I can tell just the base game

Seven Seas Guildhall - Guildhall retheme

Maximum Throwdown Overload - A stand alone Maximum Throwdown with different cards

Doomtown Seventh Hero - Seventh Hero themed with Doomtown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow_Tracker wrote:
Has anybody picked up one these yet, and if so what's in it? I have one on hold at my FLGS to be picked up today. Also are they all the same or do they hold different contents?

According to all promotional info, the contents are the same for all the boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hamilton
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind, the big win here is the Seven Seas-themed Guildhall, for two reasons...

1) Guildhall, IMO, is an underrated game and deserves a little more attention.

2) Seven Seas! I'm *hoping* this means a revival of the 7th Sea card game in the relatively near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwickles wrote:
theres a YouTube video of someone unboxing theirs.

Since TV monitors are horizontal, I REALLY wish people would record videos on their phones horizontally, so there would be more image viewable on a monitor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delton P.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBlogadin wrote:
In my mind, the big win here is the Seven Seas-themed Guildhall, for two reasons...

2) Seven Seas! I'm *hoping* this means a revival of the 7th Sea card game in the relatively near future.

Couldn't agree any more with these two points. Pirates + Guildhall = Fun Times!! Seven Seas themed? Oh heck yeah!

Not surprised that they threw Trains in the box; I guess they have to move that game somehow. I've got my FLGS holding a box for pickup this afternoon, but really the only game I want is Guildhall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Kwickles wrote:
theres a YouTube video of someone unboxing theirs.

Since TV monitors are horizontal, I REALLY wish people would record videos on their phones horizontally, so there would be more image viewable on a monitor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering if including a regular version of Trains was a mistake; maybe it's just my limited group, but all those I know who are hardcore enough to buy a blind AEG promo already HAVE Trains.

Even if it was Trains with alternate artwork, or promo cards, or the wooden "rails" the rulebook shows (instead of the cubes you actually get), or the GenCon maps, it'd be enough to make those I spoke to more than ok with having a duplicate copy.

Do the other 3 games included equal more than $50, so I still got a value? Absolutely, so I don't want to be overly negative; I may even try again next year. I think it was just maybe a missed chance to have made every part of the surprise exciting to more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Godfrey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that there is still value here, but as someone who already has Trains I am a little bit disappointed by this box. I was hoping that there may be rising sun in the box. Nevermind though, an easy Christmas present for someone now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the AEG Black Box, but after reading the contents online, I'm just going to sell it or trade it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shari Stidam
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pleased with what's in the box. I don't own any of the games in the box. I like Trains & Guildhall, so those will definitely get played.

I will send the Doomtown game to my Secret Santa target since I know he will enjoy it.

I haven't played Maximum Throwdown yet, but I like Flowerfall, so it's like that on steroids, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Guildhall retheme identical to the italian edition ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Guildhall is a fantastic game and needs more love. I love the retheme here.

7th Hero is another fantastic game that I think should be as popular as Love Letter. Love the retheme here as well.

But Trains base game? That's kinda lame. Sorry AEG - I love ya, but something different could have been done there. Especially since a majority of the Black Box purchasers were going to be somewhat AEG fans and probably already had exposure to this game.

Still, those first two alone make me happy I got this.

(And Maximum Throwdown may sound silly, but is a ton of fun to play.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's not bad -- I don't have Trains nor Guildhall...so for $50 I got both those games at a rate around ~50% msrp with 2 'throw-away' rethemed games. I might just bite on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Willis
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Does trains have its own box or is the AEG Black Box the box you'd have to use for your shelf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThaShaneTrain wrote:
Does trains have its own box or is the AEG Black Box the box you'd have to use for your shelf?

Judging by the youtube unboxing -- it comes in the black box. Which sucks, but probably a cost reason. I'm still debating I know a store that still has a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping this is a sign for 7th Sea to make its return...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mb
TheBlogadin wrote:

100% agree with you - an absolute gem of a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were down at one of our FLGS yesterday and saw this. A quick visit to Google told us what was inside it. While we do own quite a few AEG products we didn't own any of these yet so it became an immediate no-brainer. Especially when our FLGS was selling this for $55 (CAD) and had a 15%off sale. Meanwhile, the retail box for trains was selling for $63.

So yeah, if you already have Trains it might be a bit of a reach to want to pick this up but I think there's still value.

Now we just need to find time to sit down and play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Millie Geek On Radio
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Hey those are my badly painted nails! Thanks for linking to my YouTube vid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
ThaShaneTrain wrote:

I have a spare Trains base game box (long story) if someone got this and really wants to be able to put Trains into the correct box I could send it out for the cost of shipping.

Box has been claimed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.