United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received for the 2nd time this weekend (and in the past) a "forum post notification" email only to click on the link and get the message:

"The article you selected does not exist."

I've also noticed in the past that I thought it was strange that some of my forum thread subscriptions have mysteriously ended up in a suspended state (ie. I stop receiving the "forum post notifications" for them), and I only realize that when I see the thread active on the front page.

Then it finally clicked that the two are related!!!

Since the article no longer exists (I assume deleted), the website code that normally un-suspends a subscription for the correspoding thread is not executed since it doesn't know which thread was associated with the now non-existent article.

And more than un-suspending of the subscription is needed because between the time of the forum post notification that suspended the subscription, other articles may have been added to the thread (before or after the triggering article was deleted).

Not knowing your database schema, a quick fix may be that when an article is deleted to go through and un-suspend all the suspended subscriptions for the corresponding thread. This doesn't solve the problem mentioned in the last paragraph, but assuming the thread is active, a future reply on the thread, us users will scroll back and see the other posts.

A cleaner fix would be to maintain an association in your database of a deleted article number (nnnn) and the number of the article that preceded it (pppp). Then when the script that handles boardgamegeek.com/article/nnnn#nnnn sees that it was a deleted article, it can do a simple redirect to boardgamegeek.com/article/pppp#pppp.

This is kind of related to BGG Suggestion http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/118199 that the page http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=controls&... at least indicate which subscriptions are in a suspended state... some of us have lots of subscriptions and it's not practical (unless I want to write a script) to visit each one to make sure we don't have any that have been left in a suspended state (either because of the problem above, or because we simply fell behind in keeping up with our subscriptions )

Thanks!

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice find. I've seen that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - sorry about this. I've got a way to fix it.. just needs a little work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Any hints on what way you'll be fixing it (geek curiosity )

Just got hit by this again... received new post notification for

boardgamegeek.com/article/1101001#1101001
(Inspired By Tanga II -- Another 3 Games)

and the article was deleted. Tracking down the thread I was able to see what probably happened was that Simon posted a reply, deleted it, and quickly posted a new reply (for which no notification was sent because the subscription was in suspended state )

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any luck on this? It doesn't seem like any fix is in place yet
JeffyJeff wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Any hints on what way you'll be fixing it (geek curiosity )

Just got hit by this again... received new post notification for

boardgamegeek.com/article/1101001#1101001
(Inspired By Tanga II -- Another 3 Games)

and the article was deleted. Tracking down the thread I was able to see what probably happened was that Simon posted a reply, deleted it, and quickly posted a new reply (for which no notification was sent because the subscription was in suspended state )

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.