Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Do friendly combat units block artillery LOS to target. For example, if Roman artillery is stationed behind the first line of cohorts, can that artillery fire at tribal units charging that first line of cohorts or do the cohorts block LOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Galli
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
The 4th Hussars Do Not Ride Donkeys!
mbmbmbmbmb
danberniekeeler wrote:
Do friendly combat units block artillery LOS to target. For example, if Roman artillery is stationed behind the first line of cohorts, can that artillery fire at tribal units charging that first line of cohorts or do the cohorts block LOS?

I'm pretty sure the standard LOS rules apply (8.16). "LOS is usually blocked by combat units, unless the blocking combat units are closer to the firer than the target and the firing unit is an archer." Artillery is not an archer, so any combat unit (including friendly) would block LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hicks
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gallid wrote:
danberniekeeler wrote:

I'm pretty sure the standard LOS rules apply (8.16). "LOS is usually blocked by combat units, unless the blocking combat units are closer to the firer than the target and the firing unit is an archer." Artillery is not an archer, so any combat unit (including friendly) would block LOS.

Dan,
If this is the case, we were doing it wrong.
Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tony,

I know. I decided to take another look at this rule as I've been continuing to slash my through the modified/expanded Sabis scenario. I keep looking for any way to reduce the Roman advantage. The modified rules allowing the tribes to attempt to recover cohesion hits has proved useless as the tribes simply can't wait around to expend the orders to make those attempts. Any waiting just allows the Romans to rally, recover, and attack.

I suspected that we did the artillery LOS wrong and I wanted to get another opinion. The Sabis scenario continues, but has become quite a mess. The Roman center has really taken a serious beating with the Romans up to nearly 200 rout points. But the entire Nervi tribe is in retreat. One major problem I've encountered: I forgot to track the barbarian rout points by tribe and have been tracking them in total. Since the extra units are Briton counters, I don't know now which tribe they came from. Not sure how more patience I have for continuing the scenario as it does become a hack-and-slash fest of barbarians just throwing themselves into the fray until they rout.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hicks
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should try Caesar: The Civil Wars. It is from the same era but Caesar has more competent opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.