9 Posts

Zombie 15'» Forums » General

Subject: Map Helper App - Decrease set up time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
willem d'haeseleer
msg tools
Hey Folks,

As many of you probably have noticed, Zombie 15 takes a lot of time to set up.

I create a little tool that tries to fix that problem. It also fixes the error in map 7 so you don't have to worry about that.

It's still a bit rough but it's fully functional so I wanted to share it here:

http://zombie15-map-assist.herokuapp.com/index.html

I use it from my OnePlus phone which is handy because I can just have it on the table while setting up.
I'm not sure how it will react on different phone screen sizes, so let me know if you run into any problems.

You should be able to set up any map in about 60 seconds with this tool.
With a little practice, not counting the initial sort ;)

If you have any feedback or questions on how to use it, let me know !
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Kobbe
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you so much, Willem! I've used this for my first play and it was a great help. I just called out the next tile number and pointed at a location while another player placed the tile. If you combine that with another player placing the zombies, you can set up a scenario in next to no time. I wish this tool would also help to show how to move from one scenario to the next, but even so it's a great time saver! This should go on the official website, highly recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl huber
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah - great idea! My solution was to create a pdf set up file (in the Zombie 15' files section) so that one player can lay out the tiles while another player uses the rule book to place the zombies, counters, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cubberly
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
This is something my group has struggled with. We LOVE this game (best zombie game we've played), but the setup for the next scenario takes way too long.

Something we've thought about is putting together files for each level using the actual artwork and then printing them out at 1:1 scale (I have access to a plotter printer). That way when you are excited to quickly move ahead in the story, you can just roll out the next board setup without taking so long for setup.

Does this sound like a crazy idea? The biggest (and only) downside to the game was the setup between levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Games World
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
Jeddah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is of great help, I did not try it yet, still waiting for my game, but, obviously, it will help
Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kingshott
United States
Clarksville
Indiana
flag msg tools
^^ David

I'veCubberly been thinking about doing the same thing. I'd need the files though. I have no ability with photo shop. I've talked about it in my group and we think a movie poster size would be perfect. I've got a flexible "convention protector" that is poster size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Rabinovitch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
helmus wrote:
I create a little tool that tries to fix that problem. It also fixes the error in map 7 so you don't have to worry about that.

Good stuff! Well done and thanks for sharing! I'll use it on Tuesday when we'll play again. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really great, thanks so much for sharing.

Is there any chance that you could add scenarios 16-20? In fact, if you let me know the format you're using for the tile layout data, I'd be happy to make the files myself to save you the work.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Choi
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Hi everyone! I uploaded a file with the links called "Printouts for easy setup for maps 1-7".

The links are here too:

z15_maps_png:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7EXbRUfO3RxdnlGd0xSQllleD...

z15_maps_gimp2:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7EXbRUfO3RxUHBjZlh1QWwtdT...

Let me know if this helps decrease setup time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.