Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I guess I'll be the first to post here on this very intriguing game, which bills itself as a Civ-lite card game, playable in three hours. Based on the website, there is supposed to be an English language (as well as a Czech) version. The information at boardgamenews.com suggests it will be one of those limited 500-copy Essen production runs. So the obvious questions are: Will the English language edition be available in time for Essen? And, looking further down the road, since there apparently will be a English language edition, are there plans for US distribution (i.e. GameSurplus, FunAgain, Boulder, etc.)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mistretta
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your questions are answered on their website at http://www.czechboardgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but it doesn't quite answer my last question about whether or not the games will be picked up by US retailers or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ladislav Smejkal
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, we do not have capacity to ship our games to the USA. This might change after Essen, but we canĀ“t promise it today. Stay tuned to our web after Essen. Thanks for your interest.

Ladislav Smejkal, Czech Board Games team

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine one of the more active US distributers will be taking a close look at it while they're in Essen. It's not unusual for the likes of Funagain to place some pretty big orders while they're at the show. I suppose it will depend on how much interest the game gathers beforehand and during, how many copies are available, as well as the economics of reprinting it if it sells out. Oh, and how good it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladislav,

thanks for the response. I happen to be fortunate enough to have a friend going to Essen and have already pre-paid for him to pick up an English version of the game at the Essen fair. From all the descriptions of the game, I am very much looking forward to playing it. Hopefully, with a good Essen, CBG can build on this game for the future, particularly with English-speaking gamers in the US and other parts of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I'm very excited about this game. I'm usually the kind of person that only buys games off the shelf at my local game store ... but for this one I might make an exception and order it from Funagain (or other Internet seller), if they decide to carry it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sexy Amy,

Eat your heart out. I now have the game in my hot little hands thanks to my good gaming friend who just returned from Essen. Lots of components, the rulebook appears fairly complex but with a gradual learning curve featuring a simple, advanced, and "Full" game withs several suggested variants. Perusing it, the game seems to borrow heavily from concepts seen in Sid Meier's Civ game series (both the Board and computer games) except there is no map. I will report more on it after I have had a chance to play it (hopefully in the next week or so). If you are itching for a hot new game to order from a US retailer, I recommend that you give Leonardo da Vinci a shot. It has just been released by Mayfair and should be available in game stores soon (I got mine from Fairplay, a on-line retailer in the Midwest that is not too far from Mayfair's HQ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
You better be bringing this to EQ, John...... See you in a few!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sure will, Joe, along with umpteen other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

Coming to EQ? I'd love to try it. This is one I've been most looking forward to for the past couple of months. But you better keep in under lock and key?

Also did you get Die Saulen Der Erde and/or Graenaland? These are the other two I'm most anxious to try. (I have Leonardo pre-ordered with Game Surplus and should get it at least at EQ if not before).

Frank Hamrick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank,

I do not have Saulen der Erde but I understand Tom McCorry does. Scott Fisher loaned me his copy of Graenland and I'm taking a look at it now. Of the newer games, also have a copy of Leonardo which I imagine will get alot of play. See you in two weeks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, John.
As for Graenaland, I've also been very interested in it, and would be interested in reading your initial impressions. However, I'm at the point where I only want to get games that are very good as I have a ton of "not bad" games! My shelves are getting very discriminating as time goes by and I no longer grab everything released. I got burned a few times by quick decisions because a game got great initial press for a couple of weeks after Essen - but then quickly faded as more people/plays revealed its warts.
I'm determined to wait for the initial blinding glitter of euphoria to wear off and the real image of the game to appear before deciding to buy! (Except for Leonardo and BattleLore which I preordered.)

Frank Hamrick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank,

If you are looking to "clean house" and unload some of those games off your shelves I highly recommend attending PrezCon in Charlottesville and offering up some of them in the auction there. I've done it the past two-three years and have been amazed at the prices they can bring. Plus, it's a real fun game convention.

I understand your point about letting the Post-Essen euphoria wear off. Last year, a game called Big Kini was right up there with Caylus on the leaderboard, but then people started to play it and the favorable ratings dropped off rather quickly. Of course, my favorite new game over the past year, Vegas Showdown, wasn't on anyone's 2005 Essen list (I don't even think it was there at all).

Graeneland looks good from one real quick solitaire play. Am hoping to get in a game in the next week or so as I'm due to return it the first day of EQ. Look forward to seeing you there again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Tesinsky
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
The 500 games available at Essen were meant as a limited preproduction edition. It has played its role very well and we are very happy about the response of players. It also binds us to make a full production happened both in US and Europe. Our primary goal in Czech Board Games is to promote promising board games from Czech authors, and to help reach them world audience. So stay tuned to our web page where we will announce any breaking information as soon as they are known.

Jakub A.T.
Czech Board Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely want this game. Publish in North America!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.