Subject: Fort Duquesne win for French plus Limited Governor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For those who use variant rules, particularly on yucata, I'm curious to hear your opinion of the Settle Ft Duquesne French Win rule. Does it make the game too pro French? I've been playing it in conjunction with Limited
Governor, and I really enjoy how it shapes the game, but then again I'm playing French and winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this variant, it makes the British side also care about the other side of the map. But originally, IIRC, the variant gave the French the win if they build a town in Ft. Duquesne, and not just settle there. On Yucata it was probably changed by a mistake.
My additional option to balance it a bit is a British win when they settle Michillimackinac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind you, I have only played that variant a few times, and a bloody while ago now, but in my experience it can be tough for the French to pull off.

As French, I tried combinations of Governor, Home Support, and Intendant (settle, Intendant new local, and settle the next step next turn); to try to rush there. Memory serves, the British can get there quicker, and if they can get it fortified, you are in trouble, since they still have military advantage.

This might be way off base, like I said, been awhile. If you are having fun with it, that's probably all that matters, at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, if anything, it's feeling a little pro French to me, but I've played this way less than 5 times, so I haven't made up my mind.

Brits can get to Fort Duquesne first, but they don't always hold it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls