BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 'Fun' and not too complex game, required like Ticket to Ride rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello all

We are looking to add to our game collection, but are looking for something that is not too heavy, so that we can relax over Christmas, without having to read 50 pages of rules!

What we have
We have quite a few games including Agricola (fairly new to us, and still working on this one), Power Grid, Waterdeep, Catan and extensions, Alhambra, Small World, Village, Escape from Alcatraz.... Some of these are great for long wet Sunday afternoons, but we are not looking for the likes of Agricola this time.

Simpler games we like
We also have some shorter/less complex games - and we like, Kingdom Builder, Thurn and Taxi and most especially, Ticket to Ride - we would like something of this kind of level in terms of complexity and fun factor, though not necessarily the same format. We like games that enable you to score count at the end, and a good pace (teenage son with limited patience).

The thumbs down games
The games that we have had and did NOT like - Dominion (wholly card based did not work for us), Carcassone, Dixit (not enough structure) and co-operative games (Flashpoint was a big no-no for us).

We will be playing with mostly 4, occasionally 3. Time frame - anything from 30 mins to 1.5 hours.

Please could I ask for some recommendations?

Thanks to all

Little Shoes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 7 Wonders? It plays up to 7, but I actually prefer it as a 3 or 4 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor

But Splendor does not have end game scoring. It's a race to 15 points.

I would also look at Five Tribes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you Chris and David - will take a look at these

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Splendor

But Splendor does not have end game scoring. It's a race to 15 points.

I would also look at Five Tribes

+1 to Splendor. It reminds me a lot of ticket to ride, but is different enough that I don't feel like I am playing the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko, seems from your description, should suit your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! - rules complexity of Ticket to Ride (explainable in 60 seconds), "take that" factor of Small World. Great game.

-1 Splendor - while it is ok game it feels like a filler for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feenix1363 wrote:

That, and Tokaido.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena
Cloud 9
Around the World in 80 Days if you can find it.
slightly above ttr is Jet Set
Saint Petersburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Five Tribes
+1 Takenoko
+1/2 7 Wonders (I've seen some people that struggle mainly with the iconography which can in some cases make it a little less easy to get into initially)

Otherwise Lords of Xidit is a pretty recent game with a simple ruleset and interesting endgame scoring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor is a great suggestion. It feels similar to Ticket to Ride while being a very different game.

I also like:

Trollhalla - Fun(ny) and simple set collection game. Very underrated, but really enjoyable.

Abyss - I've really been enjoying this one, and it's actually really easy to learn. It's a game all about pushing your luck, but it never feels random or out of control. Coincidentally, it's the daily deal over at CSI.com right now...

Camel Up - A hilarious game where you are betting on a camel racing game. This scales incredibly well from 2 all the way to 8, but feels less random with less players. I've never had a bad experience introducing this one to people.

Rise of Augustus - Bingo with various ways to score points. There's a lot of iconography in this one, but otherwise it's pretty intuitive. I haven't had any bad experiences with this one either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:

+1/2 7 Wonders (I've seen some people that struggle mainly with the iconography which can in some cases make it a little less easy to get into initially)

Agreed. 7 Wonders is one of my favorite games, but I would say that it's noticeably more complex than Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sylpherware wrote:
feenix1363 wrote:

That, and Tokaido.

Just look for games that start with Tok or Tak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you enjoy TtR, you have to check out Cinque Terre. The basic premise is almost similar to TtR but it's a completely different game. In terms of depth, it's on par with TtR, takes as long as TtR does and also enables you to score count at the end of the game - which is what you're looking for.

Please update us on what you're getting yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, La Isla is a recent title that looks good, has scoring at the end, but where you can roughly gauge how each player is doing during the game based on what animals they have studied.

For the set collection aspect, look at Progress: Evolution of Technology, and for a slightly different play mechanic - of deckbuilding and area control - check out Trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
You may like Stone Age. It is a worker placement game, but simpler than Agricola or Waterdeep. It takes about an hour to play, and there is a big end of game score-fest.

The turns are quick and players should be almost always doing something. The screwage factor is much higher than in more traditional Euros than Agricola since there are fewer placement options and your opponents strategy tends to be more obvious.

There are also Dice, meaning that there is still some excitement and heartbreak (true Euro players hate dice), which should keep your teenager interested.

Another game you might be interested in is Snow Tails. It's a racing game which plays quickly, has a ton of heartbreak, isn't all that complex (the racing system can be confusing for the first 2-3 turns of play, but becomes quickly obvious), has multiple tracks and plays well with 3-4 people. You can set up individual races, or you can race entire circuits (either by playing a long day, or keeping up standings between races like NASCAR).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
sylpherware wrote:
feenix1363 wrote:

That, and Tokaido.

Just look for games that start with Tok or Tak.
Agreed! Both Tokaido and Takenoko are well worth looking into and imo would suit the OP's needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
China
K2
Rattus
Notre Dame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe.
It's a little ticket-to-ride-ish, and it seems financial on the surface, it's not really strong in that side. Set-collection / route building, where you get VP based on the value of airlines and how much you have of that set compared to others 3 times a game. Plays 3-5 very well (although it is better as a 4-5 than a 3).

As a side note, it's by Alan R. Moone, of TTR fame. It's not TTR, but it has a fair amount of actual fun like I find TTR has (as opposed to thinking "non-fun" great games like Agricola and Terra Mystica). I've taught AE to several groups, the last had 2 people who didn't really click until the first scoring. Approaching the third scoring, however, had people cheering and screaming in frustration as every card flipped at the end meant there was a chance they woudln't get another turn to squeeze out a few more points (and the resulting victory). GREAT game! Highly recommend you look into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oregon
Finca
Tobago
Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Castles of Mad King Ludwig" might be good for you. We just played it with 4 and it was reasonably fast, fun, and you each end up with a castle of your own. In the most recent game, my wife put the Master Bedroom next to the Meat Locker, which generated a lot of comments...

We've implemented a suggestion that in future games, when we place a room, we give the reason why the king wanted the room there. For example, when I placed the Crypt next to the Venus Grotto (where the real King Lud watched performances of Wagner's operas), I explained it was because Wagner puts me in a deep sleep. I guess it was funnier with beer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Stone Age
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you very much you brilliantly insightful and quirky bunch of people!

You've given me a lot to look into, and I will definitely let you know which ones I'm leaning toward, once I've had chance to read up on them all! Have a great weekend all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Airlines Europe (especially if you like Ticket to Ride - read ►Trevor's detailed post on the good reasons why)
+1 Takenoko
+1 Stone Age

-1 Splendor (gets boring very fast)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buy this as an early Christmas gift for the whole family; Crokinole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.