Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will not be a turn-by-turn recap of the game session. Instead, I just wanted to capture some thoughts I had from my first game, along with the end-game board picture.

After receiving Dragonscroll in the mail, I eagerly but gently unboxed all of the components. Everything was in really good condition. The boxes containing the resin dragons and villages were a bit damaged, but the figures were perfect.

I always play my new games solo to ensure I know the rules well, before teaching other players. I chose Fundor (my favorite) and Snot for this game. I would play as Fundor, while I would play Snot as my wife. After dealing the destiny cards (Fundor got dwarves, while Snot got elves) and starting dragonscroll cards, the game could begin.

Fundor focused early on getting any enemies he could, so he could increase his fireball count. Snot had orc horde and small forest dragonscroll cards that he wanted to complete, so he focused on killing orcs and placing extra map tiles. As such, Snot got an early VP lead, but Fundor was rolling more fireballs (and missing a lot anyway).

As I played the game, I found there where more options and strategy involved in placing the map tiles than I originally thought. Often I had to decide if I wanted to make new enemies easier or harder to defeat, both for myself and my opponent. Once the villages started to come into play, they really made for some interesting placement decisions, as placing enemies adjacent to villages make them harder to defeat. I also found it really interesting to place tiles such that my opponent had to switch terrains multiple times to get to new groups of enemies.

After Snot had completed three dragonscroll cards, Fundor finally started completing some cards of his own. He had two 4-point cards, so they were harder to complete. Snot started sucking up goats and building up his fireballs, eventually getting to seven by the end of the game. I think Fundor only got to five or six. Both dragons successfully delivered royalty to the knight's village for three VP.

Near the end of the game, both dragons focused on getting their destiny enemy. As it became obvious which enemy each dragon was angling for, the map tiles started to be placed to make it difficult for each dragon to get their desired enemy. Snot had more luck, eventually defeating five elves (but not after failing a few rolls and collecting broken minstrel tokens). Fundor got caught in a bad location by a volcano, and had to transition through a few terrains to get to a concentration of dwarves. He was one turn away from attacking the dwarves when Snot placed two tiles on one turn and ended the game. I found you really have to watch the number of tiles remaining and count how many more turns you might have left. so you don't miss out on a key opportunity like Fundor did.

The final score was Snot: 16, Fundor: 11. I read Snot's dragonscroll aloud and he was crowned the most infamous dragonling of the land.

Here is a picture of the board at the end of the game. The white background is a Gripmat, which I use to keep the tiles from sliding around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.