Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules clearly state that you may not trade when it is not your turn. But can you undercut another trade by saying "don't trade with him, i'll givr you 2:1 on my turn"

I have always played that you cannot do this, but today a new player argued that you should be allowed.

What say ye?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds perfectly legal to me. You may NOT actually trade with this player until it is his or your turn turn, but I think it is OK to OFFER the trade. On the other hand (I don't have the rules here) I would not be surprised if this IS forbidden, being a soft eurogame and all...

I would allow it!

Oetan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say this is fine.

As long as you don't actually trade with anyone whose turn it isn't, I would have thought you can say what you like.

Of course, you could change your mind by the time your turn comes round (or be forced to change your mind, thanks to the appearance of the robber)

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Orton
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of playing a game is to have fun. Any rule which decreases the fun in the system should be ignored.

The biggest source of fun is in the interactions between players. Forcing people to sit silently when it is not their turn must be seen as decreasing the total fun.

So, while cards can only be exchanged between the person whose turn it is and any other player, nothing prevents other people sitting at the table from saying anything they like. I would therefore permit the conversation.

Holding someone to the deal may be difficult, but anyone failing to honour a deal with me will find it difficult to make another one at a later date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially in the sense of, suggesting a trade to the player whose turn it is is entirely in the mode of the game, especially especially if they're contemplating doing a trade and you're offering a better deal.

Go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, nothing illegal here at all. Better yet, scout around for the best deal and then play a monopoly card arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørn Losvik
Norway
Ulsteinvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomski wrote:
Agreed, nothing illegal here at all. Better yet, scout around for the best deal and then play a monopoly card arrrh

I agree that it is not illegal. But if someone do what you describe here, our group would see it as very bad sportsmanship, and that person will have a problem doing any trades later in that game...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Gommers
Netherlands
Heusden
flag msg tools
mbmb
As I understand the rules, trade may only be suggested by or to the person who is on turn. I think that dealing with other players will slow the game and deny the advantage of being on turn. "poor" players wil be set back by the proposed rudeness, and it is already difficult to hang on, standing back for 3-4 points (not to speak of catching up.) as the winning party can almost always offer more or better.

So I wouldn't allow "future deals", and even if, I would be very cross if some inapt fellow couldn't make his offer!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomski wrote:

I played one game where an opponent traded away all his ore. (About 6 cards worth) He then played "Monopoly" to get all the traded ore, plus all the other ore that people had.

I've only seen that tactic once, and it was beautiful to behold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.