Spyfall» Forums » General

Subject: am I doing it right??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angelo Rotulo
Italy
Prato
flag msg tools
hi guys, i'm not sure i've fully understood the rules.
in particular i'm referring to the bit: "once the game is stoppedby one of the other players in order to accuse the spy..."
let's see if i got it right:
A is the spy, during the game, he's accused by B:
1) if everyone agrees, A loses, everyone get 1 point and B gets 2 points
2) if not everyone agrees, the game goes on, but SINCE A IS THE SPY, HE CAN NO LONGER DECLARE THE LOCATION, BUT HAS TO WAIT THE END OF THE CLOCK AND HOPE HE'S NOT ACCUSED AGAIN
is it right? if C is accused instead of A and not everyone agree, the game goes on and A can still declare the location, since he has not been accused directly, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the round ended after any accusation/voting. Then the spy gets to reveal and guess the location, but that's it. Draw a new location and go again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have most all of it correct. 1, and 2 is correct. BUt after that if anyone stops the game early the spy can't stop and guess a location, but if he hasn't already stopped the game that round the spy still can stop the game an accuse someone else. Each person can stop the round once (although this isn't obvious in the rules I had lots of back and forth with the publisher about the rules before I reviewed it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Rotulo
Italy
Prato
flag msg tools
dkingnu wrote:
But after that if anyone stops the game early the spy can't stop and guess a location,

So if D stops the game and accuses C, and the others dont agree, A cant try to guess the location for the rest of the round, even if he wasnt accused directly? If this is the case, the non-spies then can (and should) accuse randomly someone as soon as the round starts, just to prevent the spy from guessing the location, isnt it unfair?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal B
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angydragon wrote:
dkingnu wrote:
But after that if anyone stops the game early the spy can't stop and guess a location,

So if D stops the game and accuses C, and the others dont agree,...

... then the round continues!
See Rules - End of round - #2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Rotulo
Italy
Prato
flag msg tools
Ok, rhe round goes on, no arguing on that. My question is, once the round restarts, can the spy still declare a location or the fact that someone accused someone else forbids him to do so and force him to wait the round to end and hope that a non-spy gets accused?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal B
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO the spy's location guess has to be the first one as per rules.
Ooh, I see your point above - yes, such a dirty trick of random accuse would block the spy.

Will try house-rule next time: The spy can make his location guess (which ends the round in every result) whenever he wants (not during voting of course).
If non-spies had revealed too much in unsuccessfull voting, it's simply their fault

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play with people that do that, and go against the spirit of the game, they should probably play something else. This game is not really about the points as you'll see when you play, it's about the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Jacobson
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the rule in question:

Quote:
Note: once the game is stopped by one of the other
players in order to accuse the spy, the spy can no
longer attempt to identify the location. The spy
has missed their chance. If the other players vote
against them, the spy loses the round.

It could be clarified, but I believe it's intended to be played this way: When a player stops the game to accuse the spy, the spy can't attempt to identify the location until after the vote. After the vote, if the players don't agree the game restarts and the spy is free to guess the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I went back through my pages of emails with the publisher about the rules and indeed Rodney here is correct. The spy can guess the location but not in the middle of a game stoppage/voting until after that's over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Rotulo
Italy
Prato
flag msg tools
Aaaaaaall right, now i understand and it's fair! Thanks guys, your advice is and will be precious for the next games!
Dan keep up the wonderful work with your reviews, love them and, just as your show intro says, helped me soooooo much to find some boardgames i love now!
Thx again greetings to you all from florence!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up:

"Any player can stop to accuse the spy (but only once per round)".

Does that mean each player has 1 opportunity to call for a vote? Meaning, in a 5 player game, 5 votes can be called max...one by each player? Or for the entire round the group can only call for a vote once?

In the latter case, wouldn't the spy want to call for a vote as early as possible in order to a) take a way the possibility from being voted out early and b) from a scoring perspective, take a way the possibility of another player gaining 2 points?

It seems weird if one of the group wants to call a vote, then that blocks everyone else from doing so. Considering you get more points for initiating - even non-spies will want to call a vote early.

Do I have this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
No. A player may only call for a vote once. Up to eight times can a vote be called.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
But I don't see why any player who isn't calling the vote would ever want to vote yes. They are giving an extra point to someone else.

This is the biggest hole in the game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Jacobson
United States
Norwich
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe when the spy is caught the extra point should go to the first person who called a vote for the spy. (Instead of the one whose later vote passes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this might be an issue too, but if someone is not going along with it because they don't want someone to get 1 more point than them, they are probably playing the wrong game. It's a party game, and in the end the points don't really matter. We played a few games without keeping score and it was as fun when not.

I did ask this to the publisher during my review testing and here is the response I got from them. It sounds like this would probably fix that rare issue:

Yep, it is a known topic. According to game mechanics, such a problem is possible. But as Spyfall is a game of social interaction, it is a very rare situation. If someone violates the game in this manner, other players will just consider such guy as a troll and "accuse" him once and forever by banishing him from the game table.

Here is a possible rule for these situations that +1 point gets the first player to accuse. Like this:
1. Player #1 accuses Player #2. He does not get enough votes to reveal the Player's #2 card. So the round continues.
2. Later Player #3 accuses Player #2. Success. Player's #2 card is revealed. He/she is a spy. Player #1 (not #3) gets +1 point for being the first to stop the game and accuse them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that points are not the point of the game and don't care about them at all. But the rule as written encourages "troll"-like behavior from the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
i think the key point is how you interpret this:

Quote:
Note: once the game is stopped by one of the other
players in order to accuse the spy, the spy can no
longer attempt to identify the location. The spy
has missed their chance. If the other players vote
against them, the spy loses the round.

I take that to mean that the spy can't guess the location during the accusation, but it is still fair game afterwards.

If a spy knows there is suspicion on them, they will be encouraged to guess the location. You might vote with another player to avoid that situation.

But it is unclear from the rules if the spy permanently can't guess the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkingnu wrote:

Here is a possible rule for these situations that +1 point gets the first player to accuse. Like this:
1. Player #1 accuses Player #2. He does not get enough votes to reveal the Player's #2 card. So the round continues.
2. Later Player #3 accuses Player #2. Success. Player's #2 card is revealed. He/she is a spy. Player #1 (not #3) gets +1 point for being the first to stop the game and accuse them.

This is probably the best fix. And I agree...keeping score is weird. I think we'd just do that, so we could toast the best operative! I think I'm going to PnP this, and try it out at my holiday party. Sometimes, we've been drinking to much to do Resistance or Werewolf...and this might be a simple and funny game with no elimination...and no arguing.

One of my faults of Resistance is the fact that it can devolve into a simple 'No, I'm NOT a spy' back and forth (as a GM, I look for this, and try to move the discussion along). For this...and much like Resistance...is it possible for one person to be "really bad" and thus break the game? I'm sure it takes a few round to understand that you have to be vague or creative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Like any social deduction game, it can easily fall apart based on the players.

For instance, in my first attempt at playing, it was me with 7 non-gamers. My clues were all a bit too subtle for them and they just always assumed I was the spy, even though I never was. #derp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! The classic "Oh, you're introducing a game to us? Then you a) must be antagonist and/or b) we should probably eliminate you first!"

This is why I'm always the moderator in Werewolf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.