Subject: house ruling the yawning portal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martijn hogenkamp
Netherlands
Hengelo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
In my opinion the yawning portal seems to be one of the most effective buildings for only the cost of 4.
I am considering to use a house rule to balance it a bit more.
My first thought is to increase the building cost to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hammerspace wrote:
In my opinion the yawning portal seems to be one of the most effective buildings for only the cost of 4.
I am considering to use a house rule to balance it a bit more.
My first thought is to increase the building cost to 6.

I'm sure the people who have subscribed to this forum might remember what Yawning Portal does off the top of their head, but ....

You know what? This isn't a very constructive reply I'm writing.

Here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/898084/why-does-yawning-port...

This references yet another thread where the designer explains why they chose the value. I haven't found that one yet, but this might be more helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We house ruled this as well, in that if it appears in the first round in builders hall, then you can buy it, but it is a prohibited space until the third round. In other words, no one can go on the space until the third round starts. The reason for this is we found it's way over-powered if someone manages to buy it in the first round - the owner gains too much in terms of winning chances of the game, however, that was before the expansions.

Since the expansion introduced a couple intrigue cards that let you demolish or steal buildings, the house rule may not be needed if playing with the expansions.

That said, if just playing the base game, I think our house rule makes sense. But some may think it too harsh, you could lessen it by saying the building could be used starting in the second round, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.