Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be beneficial to have multiple copies? Or are there enough units in one copy to satisfy most army-building/map-generation desires?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think that it depends on how much you plan on playing the game. For the very most part for semi-regular casual play, say once a month, one copy should do you.

Benefits from having multiple copies.

More Units. Pretty marginal benefit here unless you want to run mirror armies against each other with a lot of cheap troops. If your armies are different from each other and have some of the 7+ Glory Units in them then what comes in the box is sufficient. I would plan on picking up at least two of the Promo Packs when they go on sale. It contains some interesting units, but only two of each. I can see some builds being made with 3 of some of these units in them.

More Dice. Here is a reason to get another copy of the game. There are enough dice in the game for one person to have what they need to roll. But that means you are always looking around for the dice that you need to give to your opponent so that they can shoot you. As their shooting may be happening during your turn this back and forth can get to be a drag. Of course normal dice could be submitted with ones as Push Results and sixes as Pow Hits. Also I believe that Steve has a few more dice to sell in the future for people who want them.

More Terrain Tiles. If you want to be able to build bigger maps or to have some duplicate terrain tiles in one of your games then you need another game. There are only enough Terrain Tiles in the box to build a normal sized map.

More Banners and Wound Tokens. You get 15 Banners in the box. If you go to the Ars Victor site:

http://www.arsvictor.com/#/dash/armies

You will see that most player designed armies have 7 to 9 units. So 15 Banners is enough unless you want to play on a larger map with a higher starting Glory Total and run a swarm army of low cost units. You definitely get enough Wound Tokens to not need more.

So with the exception of the dice unless you are planning on playing the game once a week or more I think that a second copy of the game is not needed. What you get in the box allows you to play a lot of games without it becoming stale. We were really lucky that in the end Steve was able to squeeze the Ancient Hegemony Units into the base game as they doubled your unit options.

Also make sure that you check out these two threads where Steve is previewing some upcoming rules and units for the game. You can always use these ideas to expand what you have.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1275997/design-diary-hive

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1274223/design-diary-tour-du...

I’ll end with the fact that I did pick up a second copy of the game, because I wanted the ability to run larger games and I wanted more dice, but I have been hoping that someone would do a Sci-Fi version of a Command and Colors game for quite some time. So Ars Victor is what I was waiting for and I prefer to buy games that I think that I will play a lot not just a time or two to see what the mechanics of it are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve DeBaun
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
@Greg: As the designer and publisher, I believe I'm legally required to tell you that a second game would totally be beneficial.

However, I gotta say that Oliver has given you a great breakdown of what it helps with. There are a lot of pieces in the box, and there's a huge amount of variety in army builds that you can make.

There are of course "extreme builds" that might be tough to field, and there are some monoculture builds that you won't be able to field two of.

And plus, if you already have the game, and buy a second copy... well then you qualify for four free promo packs, because you got a friend to buy the game. YOU ARE YOUR OWN FRIEND, AREN'T YOU!?!?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1275979/get-free-promo-packs...

sd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.