Citrus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Initial randomization of ficas and the short game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar Gomez
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played Citrus only with two, using always the shorter variant. Initially we played with ABC spots fixed, but recently we tried full randomization. It was going well until in the last game one of the edge fincas became available from the start. This allowed the first player to fully block it and get 11 plus points, a margin that was maintained during the full game. Thus, I am thinking of removing those edge position from the initial randomization to avoid the same situation in the future.

What do you think? Have you experienced something similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played on that side of the board so I don't have any experience with the edge Fincas. However, I'm surprised they would be unbalanced. In the situation you describe the player would need to place at least 5 tiles to surround it (which is only 3 less than the non-edge case). Several of these tiles are less useful in the long run since they're on/near the edge of the board and won't help with future point scoring.

Of course if you think there's a problem with them removing them from the initial setup seems extremely reasonable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Gomez
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your comment. It could be indeed an unfortunate happening: the first player blocked the three available exits and there was no close finca to try to get into any of the other two spaces before it was scored.

I will play a couple of times without the restriction to see if it happens again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
panoptiko wrote:
Thank you for your comment. It could be indeed an unfortunate happening: the first player blocked the three available exits and there was no close finca to try to get into any of the other two spaces before it was scored.

I will play a couple of times without the restriction to see if it happens again.

While they focused on scoring that Finca what were you doing? Presumably this meant that you had less competition for points in other places. I'm not saying there isn't a problem. I'm just curious about the details of your experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.