Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game and played it twice. Like it a lot - simple, relatively quick and involving.
I am, however, disappointed by some of the cards! Or our inability to decipher them!
First game was 2 vs 2. What caused a deep discussion was whether cards possessed by one zombie player applied to both, eg, Relentless Advance, There's Too Many. We didn't feel it is clear at all. Easy with only one zombie player.
The other thing that caused discussion was the Welding Torch. Whilst it can (and arguably should) be interpreted exactly as the card reads, the zombie players, new to the game, are able to interpret it differently. In fact I notice that someone posted that this card resulted in an argument and leaving the house immediately!
I know this shouldn't happen, it's only a game etc, but no game should cause this to happen either!
I guess that once we get more into the game (not played with advanced rules yet), I'll look back on this post and think how could we get confused!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you have 2 zombie players they each control one set of zombies in their own colour (green and brown I think they are) And as such, cards played by the owner of a zombie colour only affect that colour! This also applies to spawn points and even splitting of numbers. Only have to split even with your own zombies which can be used by the team to get stacks on one spawn point

As to welding torch, has been awhile so I can't remember what it does...but literal interp is always a good thing in this game. No need to overthink it.

edit: Also assume you were using 4 characters among your 2 players? I would think 1 v 3 is a better game anyway and the heroes group play the 4th character. split zombies is a bit of a drag in my opinion and only there to "add" a 6th player...but if you enjoy it so be it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welding Torch:

Combat Bonus:
Re-roll one of the Hero's Fight Dice. May be used multiple times per fight.

After each use, Breaks on 1 or 2 (Discard).

The Hero can literally re-roll the same die repeatedly until he gets the result he wants, before any fight round is resolved. After each such roll he would have to roll to see if the torch breaks.

I can see where a new Zombie player might not be happy that it's not limited to once per fight or once per fight round or once per turn - or whatever kind of limitation you would want. But there is no such limitation on it...only the break test, and that is why it has a break test.

The literal interpretation is correct one. If that's understood by all players going in it's a shame that arguements would spring up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie cards that have the keyword "YOUR ZOMBIES" only apply to the zombies that the player who played the card control. The cards that dont have this specification apply to ALL zombies of both players.

Pay attention to the card text and the wording...its really straight forward if you think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ozjesting wrote:
When you have 2 zombie players they each control one set of zombies in their own colour (green and brown I think they are) And as such, cards played by the owner of a zombie colour only affect that colour! This also applies to spawn points and even splitting of numbers. Only have to split even with your own zombies which can be used by the team to get stacks on one spawn point

As to welding torch, has been awhile so I can't remember what it does...but literal interp is always a good thing in this game. No need to overthink it.

edit: Also assume you were using 4 characters among your 2 players? I would think 1 v 3 is a better game anyway and the heroes group play the 4th character. split zombies is a bit of a drag in my opinion and only there to "add" a 6th player...but if you enjoy it so be it

I think I agree with 3 players for the heroes.
Not sure that your definition of cards played by 1 zombie player is right - a later poster (Brandon) says what the FAQ says - "your" vs "a". Still too vague for me, especially when you read the text on the 2 cards I mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
This will seem long, but it's a digest of what's in the rules.

The most helpful advice I can give on cards in this game is: The player who is playing the card reads the card text aloud, verbatim, and then does what it says.

With two zombie players, the board contains ZOMBIES (all of them) and YOUR ZOMBIES (a subset, either green or brown). If the cards says ZOMBIES, it applies to all of the zombies regardless of color. If the card refers to YOUR ZOMBIES, it applies only to THAT ZOMBIE PLAYER'S COLOR (green or brown).

Cards in question:
Relentless Advance: Play at the start of Zombie Turn. Roll a D6. Immediately move that many Zombies one space. Those Zombies may move and fight normally this turn.

Says ZOMBIES, not YOUR ZOMBIES. Move any ones you like.

"There's Too Many!": Play this card at the end of the Zombie Turn to spawn D6 new Zombies. You may remove them from anywhere on the board if there are not enough out of play.

Says ZOMBIES, not YOUR ZOMBIES. Use any ones you like.

Just to show an example the other way:
Surprise Attack, Play Immediately: Take a Zombie from your Zombie Pool an place it in the same space as any Hero within a building. If there are no Zombies in the pool or Heroes in buildings, discard this card with no effect.

Says YOUR ZOMBIE, only applies to the color of the Zombie player that drew it.

And just to make this the longest reply ever, remember that when you have two Zombie players, their turn works in concert. It breaks down like this:

First, the sun tracker moves. Then...
Zombie1: Draws cards (discard 1 first, if desired).
Zombie2: Does the same thing
Zombie 1 & 2: Play any "Play Immediately" cards. If both got "Play immediately" cards, then they decide which order to play them.
Zombie1: Plays cards that say "at start of zombie turn" (if desired).
Zombie1: Rolls a D6 trying to get higher than current amount of THEIR COLOR zombies for spawning.
Zombie1: Move THEIR COLOR zombies, play cards if desired. Hunger zombies move first.
Zombie1: Combat, play cards if desired.
Zombie1: Roll D3 to spawn THEIR COLOR zombies, play cards if desired.

Whew...

Hope this helps the cause.

Grrr. Hrrrrrk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatbretguy wrote:

This will seem long, but it's a digest of what's in the rules.

The most helpful advice I can give on cards in this game is: The player who is playing the card reads the card text aloud, verbatim, and then does what it says. Every time.

Confusion comes when multiple players read to themselves. The text is often clear.

With two zombie players, the board contains ZOMBIES (all of them) and YOUR ZOMBIES (a subset, either green or brown). If the cards says ZOMBIES, it applies to all of the zombies regardless of color. If the card refers to YOUR ZOMBIES, it applies only to THAT ZOMBIE PLAYER'S COLOR (green or brown).

Cards in question:
Relentless Advance: Play at the start of Zombie Turn. Roll a D6. Immediately move that many Zombies one space. Those Zombies may move and fight normally this turn.

Says ZOMBIES, not YOUR ZOMBIES. Move any ones you like.

"There's Too Many!": Play this card at the end of the Zombie Turn to spawn D6 new Zombies. You may remove them from anywhere on the board if there are not enough out of play.

Says ZOMBIES, not YOUR ZOMBIES. Use any ones you like.

Just to show an example the other way:
Surprise Attack, Play Immediately: Take a Zombie from your Zombie Pool an place it in the same space as any Hero within a building. If there are no Zombies in the pool or Heroes in buildings, discard this card with no effect.

Says YOUR ZOMBIE, only applies to the color of the Zombie player that drew it.

And just to make this the longest reply ever, remember that when you have two Zombie players, their turn works in concert. It breaks down like this:

Zombie 1 & 2: Play any "Play Immediately" cards. If both got "Play immediately" cards, then they decide which order to play them.
Zombie1: Rolls a D6 trying to get higher than current amount of THEIR COLOR zombies for spawning.
Zombie1: Move THEIR COLOR zombies, play cards if desired. Hunger zombies move first.

Whew...

Hope this helps the cause.

Grrr. Hrrrrrk.

Great reply! Thanks. A few spelling mistakes though -it's COLOUR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
banzai123 wrote:
A few spelling mistakes though -it's COLOUR!

When the NSA screens our posts, they make certain everything is written in American.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ozjesting wrote:
I would think 1 v 3 is a better game anyway and the heroes group play the 4th character. split zombies is a bit of a drag in my opinion and only there to "add" a 6th player

100% agree - Two zombie players is awful. Let the hero side split how they use the fourth hero or give it to the "veteran" player of the group. Most of the time, hero decisions end up being made as a group anyway, just one person does the die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatbretguy wrote:
Plays cards that say "at start of zombie turn" (if desired).

I dont have the rules in front of me, but I thought this needed to happen before drawing? e.g. I cant play start of zombie turn cards the same turn I draw them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Incorrect. The official ruling is that "start of turn" is until you start moving zombies. So that is phases 1-3 I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Sappington wrote:
Incorrect. The official ruling is that "start of turn" is until you start moving zombies. So that is phases 1-3 I think.

Yes, that's right. I guess it would look like this:

Last chance this turn to play cards that say "at start of zombie turn."

Like that? It looks right...not trying to break down each and every possible action, just outlining the order of events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:

Cool. It could be before or after drawing (or both with multiple cards). So we werent technically playing wrong, just artificially limiting the zombie player's options.

Anyway, thanks for that explanation and sorry for the slight thread derailment.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaubry wrote:
Sappington wrote:

Cool. It could be before or after drawing (or both with multiple cards). So we werent technically playing wrong, just artificially limiting the zombie player's options.

Anyway, thanks for that explanation and sorry for the slight thread derailment.

cool

Actually playing the "start of the zombie turn" cards prior to the draw step is a nice strategy to keep your hand cycling and have more options since you can only normally discard 1 this makes more room right before you get your 4 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with those that dislike the splitting of zombies between two players. I just can't stand to play that way, yet I love everything else about this game.

In my view, the best breakdowns are this:

2 players: 1 as all zombies, 1 as all four heroes

3 players: 1 as all zombies, 2 as two heroes each

4 players: try to avoid it if possible, but otherwise go for 1 player as all zombies, 2 players as 1 hero each, and the most experienced hero player as two heroes

5 players: 1 as all zombies, 4 as one hero each

6 players: another one to avoid, but if you must play it you will have to do the split (ugh) and do 2 players as half-zombies each and the other 4 as one hero each

My favorite setups are the 2 player game and the 5 player game, with 3 players being just behind that. I try to avoid 4 or 6 players with this game, instead choosing something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2 zombie players are great, it allows for more strategy on the zombie side. And more bickering, just like the human side!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
2 zombie players are great, it allows for more strategy on the zombie side. And more bickering, just like the human side!

More bickering I agree with, but I'm not sure how you'd get more strategy. You basically end up with a two-headed monster scenario where the zombie players can disagree on how best to move their minions.

Strategies can be MUCH more coordinated and have some pretty impressive planning when one player controls all the undead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:

More bickering I agree with, but I'm not sure how you'd get more strategy. You basically end up with a two-headed monster scenario where the zombie players can disagree on how best to move their minions.

Strategies can be MUCH more coordinated and have some pretty impressive planning when one player controls all the undead.

It boosts card churn, allows for more zombies to be placed on the same spawn spots, and (generally) allows for a more steady stream of zombies, which helps in planning. Those are the three big advantages. The disadvantages are that some of your zombie cards can only be used on your zombies, and cards that spawn tons of new zombies don't have as big of a pool to draw from.

So, maybe, different strategy instead of more? I also normally end up solo zombie, so it has a bit of a 'new and exciting' feeling to it the once every 5-6 games I get a zom-bestie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I can't tell you how many times that I, as a zombie player, have forgotten to play fight cards in the heat of the moment, or forgotten to play other situational cards, where having a teammate to remind me would have been potentially game changing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.